GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Oct 2018, 02:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Scored 720 (Q50 V37), need take GMAT again?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
Scored 720 (Q50 V37), need take GMAT again?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2018, 08:20
Hey guys,
I have scored 720 and wondering if I should take the test again for better score.
I understand that +700 is generally considered to be enough, but as Korean male, probably somewhat oversaturated candidate pool, I am not sure if my score is enough to break into top schools. Since studying GMAT is time consuming activity, I want to ask your opinions on the issue.

FYI
- It was my first GMAT test
- I usually score between 720-760 on official prep, Q51 w/ V36~40
- worked in consulting industry for 2y, financial advisory 1y, and currently unemployed (doing investments) + mandatory military service 2y
- Fair GPA from one of the top business schools in Korea
- Targeting top schools in States as well as in UK

Sorry for the naive question but will definitely appreciate for your valuable responses.

Posted from my mobile device
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
P
Concentration: Finance
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Scored 720 (Q50 V37), need take GMAT again?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2018, 09:29
hgm2080 wrote:
Hey guys,
I have scored 720 and wondering if I should take the test again for better score.
I understand that +700 is generally considered to be enough, but as Korean male, probably somewhat oversaturated candidate pool, I am not sure if my score is enough to break into top schools. Since studying GMAT is time consuming activity, I want to ask your opinions on the issue.

FYI
- It was my first GMAT test
- I usually score between 720-760 on official prep, Q51 w/ V36~40
- worked in consulting industry for 2y, financial advisory 1y, and currently unemployed (doing investments) + mandatory military service 2y
- Fair GPA from one of the top business schools in Korea
- Targeting top schools in States as well as in UK

Sorry for the naive question but will definitely appreciate for your valuable responses.

Posted from my mobile device

Hello hgm2080

Stating that you want to go to top schools in US is still a little bit vague, since we can disagree what we consider top schools, is it top 5, top 10, top 20 etc. and there is difference between them anyway in terms of GMAT score, sometime significant from your stand point.

In general highest average GMAT score is at Stanford and Harvard that is around 730, that being said, people get in all the time with lower score.

Schools like Berkeley, UCLA, Columbia, Stern etc. have average score around 715.

For best UK school you don't have to worry at all, highest average is around 700, for instance at LBS.

Furthermore, in US there are some really great schools that have average score around 700 or even below, such as Cornell, Duke, McCombs, CMU Tepper etc. , that I would certainly consider top.

I am not sure how and if people with Korean background are over represented in applicant pool, that is something that is known as potential threat only for Indian students, you may investigate that further, but as far I know, you are not in danger.

The rest of your profile education/experience is fine.

The way I see it, you don't need to retake it.

Good Luck with application ! ;)

Your kudos are much appreciated

Intern
Intern
Re: Scored 720 (Q50 V37), need take GMAT again?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2018, 17:43
billionaire
Thanks for your reply.
Actually I was referring to US top 5 schools so thought that I was falling bit short to average.
Anyway as I counsel with my seniors from various MBAs, I perceive that spending time on essays and other materials should be way efficient than on gmat for 20~30 additional points.

Again, thank you for your opinion ;)
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
P
Concentration: Finance
Premium Member CAT Tests
Scored 720 (Q50 V37), need take GMAT again?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Sep 2018, 08:44
hgm2080 wrote:
billionaire
Thanks for your reply.
Actually I was referring to US top 5 schools so thought that I was falling bit short to average.
Anyway as I counsel with my seniors from various MBAs, I perceive that spending time on essays and other materials should be way efficient than on gmat for 20~30 additional points.

Again, thank you for your opinion ;)

Hi hgm2080

Yes, that would be my recommendation also, GMAT score (similar to GPA) is just threshold that once you pass you are in the game, into serious consideration, and other aspects of your application such as personal essay/statement of purpose and interview, or in another words your overall profile will make final decision, if are you admitted or not.

Top 5 US will slightly depend on source of ranking, and of course your personal top 5 may be differently arranged, however here are the facts :

1. Harvard/Booth
3. Wharton
4. Stanford
5. MIT

https://www.usnews.com/best-graduate-sc ... a-rankings

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/03/20/the-10- ... untry.html

https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2017 ... s-schools/

According to Forbes Kellogg and Dartmouth are in top 5:

https://www.forbes.com/business-schools/list/

FT puts Columbia before MIT:

http://rankings.ft.com/businessschoolra ... nking-2018

Finally, this one is very biased toward European schools : :)

https://www.topuniversities.com/univers ... nt-studies

I would not neglect top 10, or even top 20, in creating my application list, however choice is only yours.

Good Luck once again ! :cool:

Your kudos are much appreciated

GMAT Club Bot
Scored 720 (Q50 V37), need take GMAT again? &nbs [#permalink] 28 Sep 2018, 08:44

Scored 720 (Q50 V37), need take GMAT again?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap