GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 14 Dec 2018, 22:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free GMAT Strategy Webinar

December 15, 2018

December 15, 2018

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Aiming to score 760+? Attend this FREE session to learn how to Define your GMAT Strategy, Create your Study Plan and Master the Core Skills to excel on the GMAT.
  • $450 Tuition Credit & Official CAT Packs FREE

December 15, 2018

December 15, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Get the complete Official GMAT Exam Pack collection worth $100 with the 3 Month Pack ($299)

scored a 620 only studying a few hours. How high can i go?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
scored a 620 only studying a few hours. How high can i go?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2018, 09:55
Hello everyone,

I passed a GMAT on short notice and scored a 620 (Q38/V37). i did one or 2 prep tests 8 months ago, and didn't study much after that (just a half test that gave me an estimated score of 620-650)

I thought I was good on the quant part and bad on the verbal part (since English is only my third language), but I made the mistake to start with the quantitative and at some point I ended up rushing through the last 6 or 7 questions because I took too much time.

one school in my city request minimum 570 with a ''competitive score of 630'' so I guess it should be okay for it, the other has an average of 650 for accepted applications. But the score I got with the small amount of studying had me wondering.

If I do study seriously, will I be able to get a significantly higher score? Can I realistically aim for a much better school? or should I just sit on it and go to the first mentioned school (which is already in the top 6 in Canada).

Thanks guys for the answers !!
MBA Section Director
V
Affiliations: GMATClub
Concentration: Nonprofit
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Re: scored a 620 only studying a few hours. How high can i go?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2018, 10:41
How high can you go? There's only one way to find out ;)

I would suggest you to go through some debriefs from the following forum and see how much effort is required to improve to higher from 620. It depends on each individual's abilities but atleast you can get a ballpark.

https://gmatclub.com/forum/share-gmat-experience-8/

There are tonnes of such debriefs, here's one to get you started https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-journey ... 73047.html

New project wSTAT(which Schools To Apply To?)

GMATClub School Ambassador

B-School app with GRE

New - RC Butler - 2 RC's everyday

EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2018, 10:44
Hi mid17,

You ask a number of really good questions - and the answers will depend completely on what YOU want your MBA to do for you. This will require that you define your broader career goals - then do the necessary research to find the best Degree Programs that will help you to reach those goals.

From what you describe about the minimal nature of your prior studies, you certainly appear to be a relatively strong critical thinker - so with the proper study time and focus, I would suspect that you could score significantly higher than this 620. Assuming that you had a competitive Overall profile, then a higher GMAT Score would give you the opportunity to apply to 'better' Schools. This is all meant to say that there are a number of different ideas that you have to think about.

1) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
2) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

*****Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!*****

examPAL Representative
G

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2018, 07:42
Hey mid17
good question!
it sounds like you certainly have some potential to improve. to say how much is hard to say... as workout suggested, some post-test analysis is a good place to start. consider ordering an ESR. Though it's pretty general - it can help you answer some basic questions such as: In which topics my performance was far better than others, and which require an in-depth revision?
Which kind of skills should I improve? and more.
if you'd like to attach your ESR ( this chat), I can try to go over it and give you some more conclusions

SVP
SVP
G

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2018, 09:43
Top Contributor
If you're getting 620 on a first try - then yes, there's room for the upside - and 700+ is definitely within range. If you want to improve the selection of schools you apply to, this is definitely do-able with the right approach. If you can allocate some time and effort to study -- even if it's a a few hours a day, it's definitely possible to move up.

Start off studying sort of "on-the-side" -- then once you commit to kicking things into high-gear -- then it's nothing but studying. Live, breath, and sleep the GMAT for full entire days. And then rest -- and then go at it again - then rest. Then review - and kickass on the exam.

http://www.gmatpill.com/gmat-practice-t ... study-plan

We also recommend a "Divide and Conquer" approach first.

That is - focus on specific sections - like Sentence Correction. Dedicate an entire day - heck, dedicate multiple consecutive days dedicated ONLY to sentence correction.

For example: tomorrow is "Sentence Correction Day" - and don't move on until you feel you've made a significant improvement and have results to show.

If you operate with that kind of work ethic - and apply that process to RC, RC, PS, DS, etc. -- then you will have individually made good progress in each section.

Then from there, it's about mixing and matching different verbal and quant questions - just as you would see them on the actual test. So take practice tests to simulate this mental switch between different question types under time pressure.

For practice, we recommend the practice tests from mba.com as was from supplemental resources such as this one from GMAT Pill:
http://www.gmatpill.com/gmat-practice-t ... ctice-test

To learn more about GMAT Pill - read our stories at http://www.gmatpill.com/testimonials
GMAT Club Bot
Re: scored a 620 only studying a few hours. How high can i go? &nbs [#permalink] 14 Aug 2018, 09:43

scored a 620 only studying a few hours. How high can i go?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap