GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Dec 2018, 07:18

Expecting Soon:

R1 Admission Decisions from McCombs - Join Chat Room for Latest Updates

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Happy Christmas 20% Sale! Math Revolution All-In-One Products!

December 20, 2018

December 20, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

This is the most inexpensive and attractive price in the market. Get the course now!
  • Key Strategies to Master GMAT SC

December 22, 2018

December 22, 2018

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Attend this webinar to learn how to leverage Meaning and Logic to solve the most challenging Sentence Correction Questions.

GMAT JOURNEY DONE!!!! - 620 ->720 (49Q, 39V)

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 620 Q39 V35
GMAT 2: 630 Q42 V35
GMAT 3: 720 Q49 V39
GMAT ToolKit User
GMAT JOURNEY DONE!!!! - 620 ->720 (49Q, 39V)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2018, 23:33
Hey all. I wanted to reach out and thank every one on this amazing forum. Those who regularly post new questions, those who give super amazing in-depth breakdown of questions, and all those who share their journey thus far. As a big lurker on the forums, I don't think I could have improved my score without the resources of all those on this forum and wanted to share my experience as a thank you.

I previously made a post dubbed 'First Time Test Taker - New GMAT & Personal Experience/Journey So Far' going over my first time taking the GMAT and getting a score of 620 (39Q, 35V) (Sorry I can't post links yet, but you can go into my post history and see that post). As a follow-up to that first exam, I scheduled an exam a month later in June and got a rather sad score of 630 (42Q, 35V), despite having studied pretty hard throughout the month leading up to it. BUT! With that said, the GMAT is a test of perseverance more than anything and I'm glad I didn't give up. Here I am today, a bit over 3 months since my first time taking the GMAT with an end score of 720 (49Q, 39V)[!!!

I'm not going to go into detail about my background and initial preparations since you can read the in-depth details in my prior post. So back to the events since I initially took the exam to my score today!

After having taking the GMAT for the first time in late April right after the new format change, I was thoroughly sad and defeated with the results as the score was so beyond what I was expecting that I didn't know how to pick myself up. I took a day off from work, listened to music, and holed myself up in my room to regroup and think what I could have done to improve. I understand the feeling of being dejected but nonetheless this GMAT journey is one that we all have to embark on and I wasn't going to let a test stop me from pursuing my goals.

I read around the forum a bit to see what I could do to improve my very apparent weakness in Quant and as most posters have advised - GET THE GMAT CLUB QUANT TEST!! The GMAT Quant Test really tests your ability to think logically and understand GMAT type Quant questions. The tests go through a ton of potential GMAT Quant question setups with very amazing explanations from Bunuel and others on this forum. I ended up taking all 26 GMAT Club Quant Exams over a period of 2 months and saw my understanding improved drastically.

Then I looked to a routine to improve my verbal score and almost religiously, everyday I'd come onto the GMAT forums and go through 10 CR Questions, and 2 RC Passages to help keep my verbal skills keen while also working on improving it to better understand RCs and seeing how to effectively breakdown CR questions. This was actually a godsend for me as I realize how I was able to understand CR questions more thoroughly and know where to attack the premises/conclusions and how to scope out questions more quickly after practicing every day (I'm a do-er and learn by doing something rather than understand it conceptually so daily practices were the best thing for me to improve my Verbal skills)!

And lastly for the SC section, I'm actually decently confident in it as I got my ESRs for both of my prior exams and they were in the 41-42 range but just in case, I downloaded the GMAT Toolkit app on my iPhone and since I'm from New York and have to commute an hour each way to work, I spend my time on the subways going through SC passages!

My biggest takeaway on this journey so far is that persistence and perseverance are super key in improving your GMAT score. Each of us has our own strengths, weaknesses, and different capacity for learning, and being able to look into yourself and not get dejected after each 'bad' score on the exam is very crucial to maintaining a positive attitude about this. Sure, we'll mope and get upset the day we see a bad score, but don't let it keep you down. The GMAT is all about GRIT as you can clearly see that even after 2 sub-par scores of 620 and 630, I didn't let it keep me down and I'm sure many of you on here have experience this in your journey as well. My final takeaways:

1) Study base on a method that you learn best - Be it practicing and breaking down questions each day or trying to understand/hone in a conceptual skill. Do whichever suits your studying and learning habit.

2) Seek advice - Don't be afraid to reach out to others on the forum or if an explanation to a question doesn't seem quite right for you. Being able to bridge the gaps and improve your understanding will do wonders in getting you ready for the exam.

3) Persevere, persevere, persevere! DON'T GIVE UP! HARD WORK WILL PAY OFF!

Thanks everyone and wish you the best of luck!!! Now..time to start on applications!!!
MBA Section Director
V
Affiliations: GMATClub
Concentration: Nonprofit
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
GMAT JOURNEY DONE!!!! - 620 ->720 (49Q, 39V)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Aug 2018, 00:59
squishi831

Congratulations and I wish you the best for your applications.

squishi831 wrote:
Then I looked to a routine to improve my verbal score and almost religiously, everyday I'd come onto the GMAT forums and go through 10 CR Questions, and 2 RC Passages to help keep my verbal skills keen while also working on improving it to better understand RCs and seeing how to effectively breakdown CR questions.

Strange coincidence but we just launched this project today where we select 2 RC's everyday for the users to try on. The main aim of this project is to inculcate the habit of practicing RC's everyday.

Since you've followed the same approach, we would like to know more on how practicing RC's everyday helped you and do you have any suggestions for users trying the same approach ?

Please feel free to respond on the following post https://gmatclub.com/forum/topic273038.html

Thanks.

New project wSTAT(which Schools To Apply To?)

GMATClub School Ambassador

B-School app with GRE

New - RC Butler - 2 RC's everyday

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
Reviews Badge
Re: GMAT JOURNEY DONE!!!! - 620 ->720 (49Q, 39V)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Aug 2018, 01:19
squishi831 wrote:

I previously made a post dubbed 'First Time Test Taker - New GMAT & Personal Experience/Journey So Far' going over my first time taking the GMAT and getting a score of 620 (39Q, 35V) (Sorry I can't post links yet, but you can go into my post history and see that post). As a follow-up to that first exam, I scheduled an exam a month later in June and got a rather sad score of 630 (42Q, 35V), despite having studied pretty hard throughout the month leading up to it. BUT! With that said, the GMAT is a test of perseverance more than anything and I'm glad I didn't give up. Here I am today, a bit over 3 months since my first time taking the GMAT with an end score of 720 (49Q, 39V)[!!!

Awesome stuff. Congrats mate!! A 100 point jump from 620 to 720 is no mean feat. Good luck for the applications.

+1 kudos if you find this useful
GMAT 1: 750 (Q50; V40; IR 8; AWA 5.5)
Debrief: https://gmatclub.com/forum/first-attempt-750-q50-v40-ir-8-awa-245721.html

SC Moderator
P
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GPA: 3.5

Show Tags

New post 12 Aug 2018, 07:31
Congratulations squishi831 on your score, and thanks a ton for jotting down your takeaways for the exam.

All the best for your applications!
:thumbup:

The few, the fearless !

Ask GMAT Experts Forum Moderator
V
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 12 Aug 2018, 08:08
Hi
Congratulations on such a good score in the Gmat. And thanks for sharing a detailed debrief. It will definitely help all of us.
All the best for the applications.

Please give kudos, if you like my post

When the going gets tough, the tough gets going...

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 620 Q39 V35
GMAT 2: 630 Q42 V35
GMAT 3: 720 Q49 V39
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2018, 12:55
Thank you everyone! This GMATClub community has felt like a family that I've never met before but somehow we are all connected in a special way and can empathize with one another. Wish everyone the best of luck in their endeavors as well.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: GMAT JOURNEY DONE!!!! - 620 ->720 (49Q, 39V) &nbs [#permalink] 13 Aug 2018, 12:55

GMAT JOURNEY DONE!!!! - 620 ->720 (49Q, 39V)

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: chetan2u, bb, EMPOWERgmatRichC

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap