GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Sep 2018, 20:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Scores decreased 50 points after studying...

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V45
Scores decreased 50 points after studying...  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Nov 2017, 15:29
Has this happened to anyone?? How did you deal with the terrible feeling?

I first decided to take the GMAT in the summer. To get a feel for the test, I took the first GMATPrep test cold and got 700 (50Q and 33V). Realizing my verbal was not up-to-par, I half-assed studied some basic questions and tried again after 3 weeks (I know... so stupid). Again, I got 700 (49Q and 36V). I was kind of bummed my score didn't increase but at least was satisfied that my first try was not a fluke (or was it...?)

Anyway, September comes, and I go through MGMAT's SC and CR books since those two sections were my weakest points in Verbal. I only had 1 or 2 wrong in RC for my two GMAT, so I knew to focus on the other sections. Due to full-time work and also taking a grad course, I managed to finish those two books in early November. Then, I took MGMAT's CATs last weekend and this weekend, getting 670 (45Q and 36V) and 640 (45Q and 33V) respectively... I feel so disappointed right now... I even messed up quite a few RC questions which were my strongest points in the GMATPrep tests.

Does anyone have suggestions what to do? I am just feeling a huge wave of disappointment and shock since this Satuday when I got the 640 to confirm the 670 was not a fluke... I personally felt fine (i.e. not sick) both times I wrote the CATs and felt pretty confident in my answers as I went through, only to be traumatized at the final screen!

Please tell me any advice you may have! Thank you.

- Disappointed student :(

Edit: my test is scheduled for early January, so please let me know any helpers to boost my score in December! My grad course finish early December, so I hopefully have most of Christmas to do a final push.
SVP
SVP
V
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Re: Scores decreased 50 points after studying...  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Nov 2017, 19:50
dawgster2222 wrote:
Has this happened to anyone?? How did you deal with the terrible feeling?

I first decided to take the GMAT in the summer. To get a feel for the test, I took the first GMATPrep test cold and got 700 (50Q and 33V). Realizing my verbal was not up-to-par, I half-assed studied some basic questions and tried again after 3 weeks (I know... so stupid). Again, I got 700 (49Q and 36V). I was kind of bummed my score didn't increase but at least was satisfied that my first try was not a fluke (or was it...?)

Anyway, September comes, and I go through MGMAT's SC and CR books since those two sections were my weakest points in Verbal. I only had 1 or 2 wrong in RC for my two GMAT, so I knew to focus on the other sections. Due to full-time work and also taking a grad course, I managed to finish those two books in early November. Then, I took MGMAT's CATs last weekend and this weekend, getting 670 (45Q and 36V) and 640 (45Q and 33V) respectively... I feel so disappointed right now... I even messed up quite a few RC questions which were my strongest points in the GMATPrep tests.

Does anyone have suggestions what to do? I am just feeling a huge wave of disappointment and shock since this Satuday when I got the 640 to confirm the 670 was not a fluke... I personally felt fine (i.e. not sick) both times I wrote the CATs and felt pretty confident in my answers as I went through, only to be traumatized at the final screen!

Please tell me any advice you may have! Thank you.

- Disappointed student :(

Edit: my test is scheduled for early January, so please let me know any helpers to boost my score in December! My grad course finish early December, so I hopefully have most of Christmas to do a final push.
Don't compare scores across test providers. The scores from your MGMAT tests are not directly comparable to the scores from your GMATPrep tests.

Try to take another GMATPrep (you'll need access to one or both of the exam packs). The drop from 670 to 640 could be cause for concern, but you need to take more tests to confirm that (the 640 could be an aberration).

Ascore Prep | Live Online

Manager
Manager
G
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V47
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 26 Nov 2017, 21:52
Hi Dawgster,
Don’t worry. Manhattan prep scores can be much lower than your actual ability. Check out my debrief if you like. All my GMAT prep scores were above 700 while I scores couple of mid 600s on Manhattan.

Continue your prep and buy GMAT prep exam packs for use. I only bought EP1 (2 mocks) but you can go for both EP1 and EP2 if you want.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum

GMAT Debrief - 770
bb's "The Definitive GMAT Study Plan" - 2016 Edition
Must read forum topics before you start your MBA application

EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 27 Nov 2017, 12:05
Hi dawgster2222,

The scoring algorithm on the Official GMAT is far more complicated than most people realize. Since that algorithm is proprietary, no GMAT company has an exact match for it, thus CAT scores can vary a bit based on the 'biases' involved in their respective designs. The most realistic CATs available are the 6 from GMAC - and the MGMAT CATs are generally regarded as being a little tougher than the real thing - but they are close-enough that they'll give you a reasonably accurate score assessment (assuming that you use the CATs correctly.

GMAC has publicly stated that the Official Score that you earn on Test Day is within +/- 30 points of actual ability. Assuming a similar 'swing' in how your CATs function, your various CAT results show that you essentially performed in a consistent range each time (around 670 +/- a few points). This is meant to say that you handle certain aspects of the GMAT consistently well, but you also make certain consistent mistakes.

1) What is your goal score?
2) What is your exact Official Test Date?
3) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
4) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Re: Scores decreased 50 points after studying... &nbs [#permalink] 27 Nov 2017, 12:05

Scores decreased 50 points after studying...

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT
HOT DEALS FOR SEPTEMBER
e-GMAT: Free 30 day Access! 25+ Video Lessons | 400+ Practice Questions | 7 Free Webinars
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
examPAL Full GMAT video course - Save 10%
Target Test Prep - Save $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
EMPOWERgmat - $85/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month GMAT Prep Exams 3, 4, 5 & 6
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
Math Revolution - $99/3 mo Free 1-month trial + Diagnostic Test
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap