It is currently 19 Feb 2018, 19:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Scoring in 500-530. How to improve to 600?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Scoring in 500-530. How to improve to 600? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Feb 2017, 00:51
Hello,
I recently took the GMAT with 3 weeks of intensive preparation and scored 500 (Q38 V20), IR3 AWA:6. I also did not manage the time well and found the test to be difficult than GMAT Prep tests.

I gave GMATPrep CAT1 (Without IR and Essay) prior to starting any preparation and scored 480 Q37 V19
I completed Quant questions from OG13 and read Manhattan guides.
Gave another complete CAT after 2 weeks of preparation and scored 540 (Q37 V28)
Gave complete GMATPrep CAT2 two days before the actual test and scored 520 (Q44 V19).
I gave very little time to verbal and hence the poor score. I find all the components of the Verbal tough, with CR and RC being the weakest.

I am planning to reappear for the test end of March and targeting schools for the Spring 2018 intake.

I am also thinking of getting the E-GMAT verbal module since my Verbal is really weak. I have heard reviews about the module.
For the Quant, I am planning on going through the mistakes I made (have kept an error log) in the OG questions again and reviewing them along with the Quantitative review and questions available at GMATclub.

Does this approach seem effective? What should my strategy be this time? Is there any other course material that I should get?
Verbal Forum Moderator
V
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Kelley '20, ISB '19
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Scoring in 500-530. How to improve to 600? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Feb 2017, 03:41
azam777 wrote:
Hello,
I recently took the GMAT with 3 weeks of intensive preparation and scored 500 (Q38 V20), IR3 AWA:6. I also did not manage the time well and found the test to be difficult than GMAT Prep tests.

I gave GMATPrep CAT1 (Without IR and Essay) prior to starting any preparation and scored 480 Q37 V19
I completed Quant questions from OG13 and read Manhattan guides.
Gave another complete CAT after 2 weeks of preparation and scored 540 (Q37 V28)
Gave complete GMATPrep CAT2 two days before the actual test and scored 520 (Q44 V19).
I gave very little time to verbal and hence the poor score. I find all the components of the Verbal tough, with CR and RC being the weakest.

I am planning to reappear for the test end of March and targeting schools for the Spring 2018 intake.

I am also thinking of getting the E-GMAT verbal module since my Verbal is really weak. I have heard reviews about the module.
For the Quant, I am planning on going through the mistakes I made (have kept an error log) in the OG questions again and reviewing them along with the Quantitative review and questions available at GMATclub.

Does this approach seem effective? What should my strategy be this time? Is there any other course material that I should get?

As per GMAC , the score that you earn on test day is within 30 points of GMAT Prep scores .You will need to improve on both the sections to score 600+

- For Quant - Manhattan or Veritas prep guides are good . Also you can follow Bunuel and solve questions in his signature .
- Verbal - eGMAT on demand or live course
SC - Manhattan SC or e-GMAT course
CR - Powerscore Bible
RC - Manhattan , Veritas or e-GMAT strategy
- GMAT Prep question pack 1
- GMAT Club tests are fantastic for quant practice .

Hope this helps!! :)

When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. - Henry Ford
The Moment You Think About Giving Up, Think Of The Reason Why You Held On So Long
+1 Kudos if you find this post helpful

Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
D
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 13 Feb 2017, 11:41
Hi azam777,

Many Test Takers spend 3 months (or more) of consistent study time before they hit their 'peak' scores, so it's likely that you just have not put in enough time and effort yet to have scored higher. Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on your goals:

1) What is your exact goal score?
2) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
3) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 14 Feb 2017, 09:07
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi azam777,

Many Test Takers spend 3 months (or more) of consistent study time before they hit their 'peak' scores, so it's likely that you just have not put in enough time and effort yet to have scored higher. Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on your goals:

1) What is your exact goal score?
2) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
3) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

Rich

Hi Rich & Skywalker,

Can I study through the E-GMAT at the time of my choosing or are there specific classes/sessions that need to be attended online at certain times? I ask since my job involves lots of travelling.

Rich,
My target score is 600-620. Anything above that would be a treat.
I am planning to apply for the January 2018 intake.
My target schools are Schulich, Queens, Alberta, UBC, AGSM & Rotterdam. There are a few US schools also, applying to which would depend on my final score.
Post graduation goals: Operations Management/Finance
I can put in 2-3 hours of study on daily basis.
PS: I had to guess a lot of questions on my 1st official Test and time management wasn't good. I felt I was lacking the basic approach to tackle questions. I want to be in a position to crack through the questions rather than just drooling over every single one of them. Is end of march too early?
Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
D
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 14 Feb 2017, 14:22
Hi azam777,

Using your Official GMAT Score as a gauge, and considering your score goal, you will likely need at least another 2 months of consistent, guided study to get up to that level. Thankfully, your score goal is relatively 'modest', so it's worth noting that you will not have to correctly answer ANY questions that you think are too hard or too weird on the Official GMAT. However, you will have to nail most of the 'gettable' questions. Based on the pacing issues that you described, you'll have to work on both your content knowledge AND your Tactics to hit your score goal. Given all of this, you might want to consider pushing back your Test Date.

When it comes to studying for the GMAT, there are a variety of different options. Most GMAT Companies offer some type of free materials (practice problems, Trial Accounts, videos, etc.) that you can use to 'test out' a product before you buy it. We have a variety of those resources at our website (www.empowergmat.com). I suggest that you take advantage of all of them then choose the one that best matches your personality, timeline and budget.

If you have any additional questions, then just let me know.

Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Re: Scoring in 500-530. How to improve to 600?   [#permalink] 14 Feb 2017, 14:22

Scoring in 500-530. How to improve to 600?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap