Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 16:20 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 16:20

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 110 [0]
Concentration: General Management , Strategy
 Q49  V41
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 291 [0]
Concentration: Strategy
Schools:Ross Class of 2011
 Q49  V40
Send PM
Re: Scoring question [#permalink]
Here is a quote from a previous question that was similar.

Quote:
I don't think verbal is weighted more it's that people who take the test tend to do better on the quant part. So your overall score is going to be based on what %tile you end up in in both sections.

If you get a 46 in Quant it is 79% but a 46 in verbal is 99%.

It appears as though you are scoring higher in Math but %tile wise that isn't the case. So a 49, 40 looks like a 9 point difference in score but they are both the same %.

I've attached a copy of the scoring from my official report this might help you understand why verbal scores appear to have a larger impact.
Attachments

File comment: GMAT Score Report
gmat.JPG
gmat.JPG [ 97.76 KiB | Viewed 19079 times ]

Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks for the response. That makes a lot more sense when explained that way.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [0]
Send PM
It's not a good idea to compare a 47q with a 47v. However, the fact of the matter is this:

high V + low Q > low V + high Q

It might only be up to 30 pts, but more closely to 10-20 pts. But remember, even more true might be that where you put forth your efforts is more important. If you have 30 hours left to study, do you want to use that to improve verbal even if putting that effort into quant may yield a higher total score?

I scored higher on quant and felt that had I put more effort into verbal, it really wouldn't have helped me much more. On the other hand, I knew that studying quant would definitely help me improve my score b/c I knew that I could improve. Just think wisely when allocating your study time.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 291 [0]
Concentration: Strategy
Schools:Ross Class of 2011
 Q49  V40
Send PM
I agree you are going to have to allocate your time based on what score you want to get and what your current breakdown is. It really is going to be different for every person. The way I decided this was I want atleast a 700 and I want it to be a balanced score with both sections over 80%. So I set a goal of (48q, 38v) anything over that in either category is lagniappe. I use my practice test to make sure I'm meeting both of these goals and change study time based on the outcomes.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 135 [0]
Send PM
Take a look at my research on GMAT scoring. Between Verbal and Quant, Verbal carries more weight in pulling up your overall score.

https://gmatmalaysia.blogspot.com/2008/0 ... -have.html

Disclaimer: This is just an indication based on analysis done by MGMAT. I don't know the date of this rubric but I know that MGMAT sends their instructors to take the GMAT test each month to get a feel of the difficult of the questions as well as determine at what score is 99th percentile. Their instructors are all 99th percentile achievers (current 760+) :)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Schools:F2010 - HBS (R1 - denied w/o interview ), INSEAD (R1 - admitted), Wharton (R1 - waitlisted & ding), Ivey (R2 - admitted w/ 60% tuition)
 Q47  V40 GMAT 2: 710  Q45  V42
GPA: 3.8
WE 1: 3.5yrs as a Strategy Consultant - Big 4
Send PM
what ... they send their instructors to take the test every month ... talk about being thorough !!!

I wouldnt want to have that job though :roll:

jimmylow wrote:
Take a look at my research on GMAT scoring. Between Verbal and Quant, Verbal carries more weight in pulling up your overall score.

Disclaimer: This is just an indication based on analysis done by MGMAT. I don't know the date of this rubric but I know that MGMAT sends their instructors to take the GMAT test each month to get a feel of the difficult of the questions as well as determine at what score is 99th percentile. Their instructors are all 99th percentile achievers (current 760+) :)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
sm332 wrote:
what ... they send their instructors to take the test every month ... talk about being thorough !!!

jimmylow wrote:

Well, they pay their instructors US$100 per hour. At this rate, don't you want this job? My job only pays equivalent to US$14.36 per hour :lol:
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Schools:F2010 - HBS (R1 - denied w/o interview ), INSEAD (R1 - admitted), Wharton (R1 - waitlisted & ding), Ivey (R2 - admitted w/ 60% tuition)
 Q47  V40 GMAT 2: 710  Q45  V42
GPA: 3.8
WE 1: 3.5yrs as a Strategy Consultant - Big 4
Send PM
jimmylow wrote:
sm332 wrote:

jimmylow wrote:

Well, they pay their instructors US$100 per hour. At this rate, don't you want this job? My job only pays equivalent to US$14.36 per hour :lol:

You have a good point, I dont even want to think about converting my pay on an hourly basis .. it will hurt too much ... if this Bschool business doesnt work out maybe I should think abt this as an alternative career!!!
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos:
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
WE:Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
I personally think the overall score is what matters. People forget on this board that the score is only one piece to the puzzle, we shouldn't dissect that piece too much.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Personally, im glad that Verbal carries a little more weight. In my opinion, SC is the easiest portion of the test to noticeably improve in. Plus, I think the RC is the simplest part as well.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
jlola21 wrote:
I personally think the overall score is what matters. People forget on this board that the score is only one piece to the puzzle, we shouldn't dissect that piece too much.

While I agree that the overall score matters, what make up this score is the combination of Verbal and Quant scores. If you look at this rubric, you can do well in Quant but it is the Verbal that makes the difference.
Attachments

gmatscorerubric.gif
gmatscorerubric.gif [ 37.66 KiB | Viewed 18729 times ]

SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
Actually this is not true. It is common knowledge that ad-coms look at the score breakdowns in the context of your background. For instance if you are a history major, ad-coms will pay attention to you quant score, since they need to be convinced of your ability to handle tough such b-school quant topics as statistics. Similarly if you are an engineer with a verbal score of 20, but Q score of 51, your ability to write reports / essays during the MBA will be severely put to question.

jlola21 wrote:
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Eg. Tuck allows you to report the highest score for AWA, Quant, Verbal and Overall.
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos:
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
WE:Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
Oh I am sure they do look at the breakdowns, I was just saying I think there is a common theme on this board where people get a little bit obsessive over the score breakdowns. Of course they are important, but hey - if you got a 700+ no adcom would take that as a bad score! Just trying to be positive here people! :)
GMAT Club Bot