Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 22:49 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 22:49

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11669 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Second attempt failure [#permalink]
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi hani1024,

I'm sorry to hear that Test Day didn't go as well as planned. When these types of score drops occur, the two likely "causes" involve either something that was unrealistic during practice or something that was surprising (or not accounted for) on Test Day. Before we discuss any of those potential issues though, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) Over the last 3 months, how many hours did you typically study each week?
2) On what dates did you take EACH of your CATs/mocks and how did you score on EACH (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?

Goals:
3) Is your overall goal score 600 or something else?
4) What are the exact application deadlines that you are facing? Are there any later application Rounds that you might consider?

While the Enhanced Score Report doesn’t provide a lot of information, there are usually a few data points that we can use to define what went wrong on Test Day (and what you should work on to score higher). Since you purchased the ESR, I'll be happy to analyze it for you. If you would rather not post it publicly, then you can feel free to PM it directly to me.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Thanks for the offer, I'm happy for any help I can get.

1) I think around 30h per week but in the beginning is studied definitely less than in the end.
2)
Official GMAT Practice Test 15.12.2019 - 540 (Q:34 V:30)
Manhattan GMAT Practice Test 1 24.12.2019 - 570 (Q:35 V:33)
Real GMAT first attempt 28.12.2019 - 590 (Q:38 V:34)
Manhattan GMAT Practice Test 2 27.05.2020 - 570 (Q:42 V:31)
Real Second Attempt 09.06.2020 - 530 (Q:31 V:32)
3) Yes, 600 is my goal, I don't need more than that to be unconditionally admitted.
4)The score has to arrive at the uni on august first so my latest test day should be 11.07.2020. My plan B is a Master in strategic Management that only requires a score of 550, but I want to give it one last shot to probably make the 600. (unless you think it's not doable, then I might reconsider)
Attachments

ESR.pdf [502.41 KiB]
Downloaded 51 times

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11669 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi hani1024,

I've sent you a PM with an analysis of your ESR and some additional notes.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1256 [0]
Given Kudos: 402
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Perhaps the online experience (ie. whiteboard issue) causes your score lower than 590 ? Your Quant score significantly drops from 40+ to 32.

In terms of difficulty, did you feel that your last gmat test is more difficult than second from the previous ones?

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Send PM
chondro48 wrote:
Perhaps the online experience (ie. whiteboard issue) causes your score lower than 590 ? Your Quant score significantly drops from 40+ to 32.

In terms of difficulty, did you feel that your last gmat test is more difficult than second from the previous ones?

I took the exam in a test center so that can't be it. No I felt that my test was way too easy, already during the test I was really concerned about not getting harder questions.
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22079 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi hani1024,

What’s very interesting is that you scored pretty darn well in SC and CR and it was really RC that dragged down your verbal score. That said, would you like some general advice on how to improve your Reading Comprehension skills? Regarding quant, since it’s tough to infer too much from the information on your ESR, I think you need to cast a wide net and try to improve in all aspects of GMAT quant. Again, if you’d like some detailed advice on how to do so, feel free to reach out. Lastly, if you needed more time would you be able to push your test date, so you have more than just 3 weeks before your retake?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
ScottTargetTestPrep wrote:
Hi hani1024,

What’s very interesting is that you scored pretty darn well in SC and CR and it was really RC that dragged down your verbal score. That said, would you like some general advice on how to improve your Reading Comprehension skills? Regarding quant, since it’s tough to infer too much from the information on your ESR, I think you need to cast a wide net and try to improve in all aspects of GMAT quant. Again, if you’d like some detailed advice on how to do so, feel free to reach out. Lastly, if you needed more time would you be able to push your test date, so you have more than just 3 weeks before your retake?

Sure, I'm glad about any advice I can get!
I'll retake the GMAT on the 9th of July, this is basically the last possible point for me to retake.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1256 [0]
Given Kudos: 402
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Second attempt failure [#permalink]
Hi, you made a lot of mistakes (50%? I think that's significant) in answering the first quarter of your second attempt. If so, the algorithm will "punish" you with a lot of easy and comfortable questions (but much lower marks) for the rest.

Always strive to answer the first 10 questions correctly.

Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22079 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Expert Reply
hani1024 wrote:
ScottTargetTestPrep wrote:
Hi hani1024,

Sure, I'm glad about any advice I can get!
I'll retake the GMAT on the 9th of July, this is basically the last possible point for me to retake.

Wow, your test is in just 8 days! What have you been working on? Do you plan to take any more practice exams?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi!
I ended up booking it on the 10th but yes it‘s already next week!
Since I have to hand in my bachelors thesis next week as well, I couldn‘t do too much for the Gmat. The first thing I did was taking a MGmat prep test, just to see how I would score without any additional prep. I got a 610, 3 days later I scored 620 on another Mgmat test. I focused a bit on the verbal section by doing the E-gmat diagnostic verbal test and by watching some videos from veritas prep on youtube and analyzing my prep scores. Then I took an official Gmat prep test but only scored 580 this time, which made me again more worried.
I really don‘t know whether I‘ll be able to get the 600, I think it also depends a lot on my day performance.

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
GMAT 1: 570 Q44 V24
GMAT 2: 550 Q36 V29
GMAT 3: 560 Q36 V31
GMAT 4: 640 Q41 V37
GMAT 5: 690 Q48 V36
Send PM
Hey so I have been in your shoes many times and have had a similar issue of doing better at home vs in the test center. Scoring between 640-670 consistently and my highest score on the real test was only 570 (taken 3 times).

At first I blamed it on bad luck, test nerves, etc. which all probably play some factor but not to this extent. Recently I have had a shift in mindset and maybe you can try this out on a practice test and see how you feel.

Basically I realized that after a certain amount of time no matter how much time I spend on a question there is a 80-90% chance I’ll get it wrong. Usually 2 mins for most quant questions and about 1:40 for sc, 2:10 for CR. If I get to this time mark and am still confused I’ll just let the question go.

What this will do is give you more time to focus on your strong points. There is no reason to stress your self about difficulty of questions. I have been in exams where I felt these questions were too easy I won’t even get a 600 and ended up with 650. You shouldn’t spend time judging the question. To get a 600 you don’t need to answer all the questions right so make sure you have enough time to show the gmat what your good at.

This is easier said then done. It’s really hard to let go of questions and skip it’s so counter intuitive to the way we have been taught. The gmat test our decision making abilities under a time constraint. Time is such a precious resource and we shouldn’t waste it on questions that we don’t have a good probability to get correct.

If you go through your exam I am sure there is about 4-5 questions on each section that you’re like oh yeah I could have easily got this had I been more calm or had more time. That might be the difference you need.

Best of luck on your exam, fingers crossed you break the 600 barrier and get into your goal program!

Intern
Intern
Send PM
So yesterday the day came and i took the Gmat for the third time.
During the last month i took 4 practice tests and scored 610, 620, 580 and 640 respectively.
I felt relaxed, slept and ate well... and score 530. Again.
I have no clue how that is possible,
I studied for one year in totoal and I didn‘t manage to reach my goal.
I can only pray that I‘ll get accepted into Strategic Management with my first 590 attempt, otherwise I have no clue what to do.
I‘m so done with this test and the deadlines are over today anyways so I will never retake it again.
I don‘t think I‘ve ever felt worse in my life.
Thanks for your help anyways, I thought I should tell you all how it went.

GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37320 posts