Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 10:41 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 10:41

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, weโ€™ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [2]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Re: Seeking advice on INSEAD / HEC MBA Offers [#permalink]
Kudos
Coruses are of medium level difficulty but the HEC Paris MBA cohort is generally very collaborative and you will receive plenty of support from classmates in helping you in your weaknesses. No I don't think anyone failed. There were people ofcourse who were in the bottom 10% but pretty much everyone in my class graduated in time.

Posted from my mobile device
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 210 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Seeking advice on INSEAD / HEC MBA Offers [#permalink]
Kudos
Jaidee wrote:
Hi everyone,

Any advice on deciding between INSEAD and HEC MBA, as I received offers from both?
(Target industries are Consulting and Healthcare in Asia/Middle East)

Re INSEAD: Is it true that the courses are very intense with super fast paced? Also, understanding Consulting is shrining these years, I wonder how much INSEAD can help me in my career in Consulting/Healthcare?

Re HEC: How well does HEC place students into Healthcare corps recently? (And seems IESE is the best in terms of switching to Healthcare)

Thank you!! Any pointers would be greatly appreciate.

Jaidee - congrats on the admits. A few thoughts, adding to Divesh's points:

1. INSEAD is stronger in consulting, given the alum presence and curriculum structure. HEC on the other hand has a very strong brand in France, owing to its heritage. If consulting in ME is your focus, and international brand recall (long term i.e. if you'd like to relocate to other geographies), INSEAD is the better option. To be clear, there are a good number of HEC alum (including myself) who have worked in consulting in the Middle East post-MBA, there's just more from INSEAD.

2. The duration is different. If you're looking at a faster exit (internships are still possible for Jan batch), INSEAD's 10 month option is better, however if you'd like to take time and explore sectors/ internships, HEC could offer that.

3. Doing a LinkedIn search (filtering the company/ sector names and geographies and school names) can give you a rough indication of the # of alum in these roles. Also, speaking to alum in your target roles can help identify finer nuances and recruiting patterns.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Arvind
Founder, admitStreet
W: https://admitstreet.com | LinkedIn | E: consultingteam@admitstreet.com
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [1]
Given Kudos: 69
Send PM
Kudos
I can't speak too much about HEC, but as far as I know, INSEAD is most consultants' dream school.
INSEAD also has a very strong and diverse international network which means that there's a very high chance that there are alumni (and perhaps even an alumni network) in whichever country you'd be moving to.
Alumni that can relate more closely with you due to a more intense year.
+ as a bonus, there's a career development centre that I hear is very capable with consulting, on-campus consulting recruitment, a professional consulting club, and a professional healthcare club.

Just my two cents', good luck with making your choice! Let me know if I can help somehow!
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 615 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
Send PM
Jaidee wrote:
Hi everyone,

Any advice on deciding between INSEAD and HEC MBA, as I received offers from both?

Re INSEAD: Is it true that the courses are very intense with super fast paced? Also, understanding Consulting is shrining these years, I wonder how much INSEAD can help me in my career in Consulting/Healthcare?

Re HEC: How well does HEC place students into Healthcare corps recently? (And seems IESE is the best in terms of switching to Healthcare)

Jaidee congrats on the amazing achievements unlocked :) INSEAD alumna here. Hope I can give you some useful perspective.

Yes, INSEAD is extremely fast-paced, and you will likely feel this every day of your MBA life at INSEAD. And yes, many times you may even struggle. You really would have to prioritize letting go of certain aspects of the MBA life such as spending quality time with friends, going deeper into the subjects in order to prioritize other things that may be more important such as professional networking and recruiting. This is quite opposite to what I have heard from my mentees as HEC Paris, who had a relatively relaxed and paced out schedule.

However, I totally think that the INSEAD experience is very well worth going through it because of two things-

1. The networking opportunities provided by the school with the consulting companies are unparalleled! You will be invited to several off-campus events, dinners and parties hosted by the firms like MBBs and I think if you are someone who is absolutely focused on consulting, you would know how to best use these events. Even if you dont make it to consulting, you can always take a couple of years to prepare and build your profile and get internal referrals for consulting roles. Many INSEAD alumni tend to do that.

2. The INSEAD network is unparalleled, even if you plan to return to your home region after some time, you will always find a very active alumni network, that you can always tap into for support and referrals. As someone based in India, I haven't heard its quite the same for any other foreign B school in India, but the INSEAD network here is so active, it actually sometimes gets difficult to keep track of the events.

Best wishes

Aanchal Sahni (INSEAD alum, former INSEAD admissions interviewer)
MBAGuideConsulting
LinkedIn |WEBSITE: https://mbaguideconsulting.com/ | Message: +91 9971200927| email- mbaguideconsulting@gmail.com
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Thank you very much TudorLungu. This is really helpful!

May I kindly ask 1) how's the pace of courses at INSEAD? Do you have any advice/suggestions on how Finance&Accounting newbie can survive the intense academic schedule๐Ÿ˜‚; 2) how well does INSEAD place students into Healthcare corps? (seems like IESE is better in Healthcare than INSEAD, or maybe not)?

Thank you so much!! All the best!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Send PM
I must preface this by saying that I haven't yet studied at INSEAD, but this is all based on discussions I've had with alumni and my own research.

1) The courses at INSEAD are intense but seem efficient, as the MBA covers the same number of hours as a two-year program.
I understand that mandatory courses aren't meant to go into too much depth, as they are very varied and you can choose to go into more depth with the subjects in later electives.
Many alumni say that every day is an experience with FOMO, as they have to balance work and many other activities and social events.
And there is time for many, many social events/parties and traveling!
+ you donโ€™t need to stress too much about grades, because you are not allowed to share them with others nor will INSEAD disclose them.

Also you're definitely not alone, as many, many students have little or no finance and accounting experience.
This makes the first two periods harder, but INSEAD also offers an intensive business foundations course before the start of the program.
Considering that you have a lot of time until then you could try some online finance and accounting courses, but they are by no means necessary.
I would also recommend getting the two preparatory reading books (one of them is about accounting!).
The last three periods offer more flexibility and you can choose from all sorts of electives without having to worry about getting high marks.

I also recommend checking out the InTheKnow INSEAD student blogs to get more of a feel of the experience!
https://intheknow.insead.edu/blog/do-not-focus-academics-trust-me

2) I could be wrong but I believe IESE may be better for pursuing banking in general in Europe, but INSEAD is the paragon of consulting and is very strong otherwise in many industries.
I don't know too much about IESE because although it's definitely a great school it's not as reputable or opens as many doors.
Also I'm not really sure about its brand strength in the Middle East/Asia but INSEAD's is very strong.

When I asked alumni from the business schools I applied to, I noticed that a very common thing people said about INSEAD was that it's a "life-changing experience."
I don't recall hearing that from other business schools' alumni.
Hope some of this helps! (and if you decide to go to INSEAD let me know!)
MBA and Beyond Consulting
Status:MBA Admissions Consulting from INSEAD, Wharton and Columbia graduates
Affiliations: INSEAD and Harvard
Own Kudos [?]: 350 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hello Jaidee,

Congratulations on your offers from both INSEAD and HEC, which are remarkable institutions! Making a decision between the two can be challenging.

Consulting & Healthcare Opportunities in Asia/Middle East:

INSEAD:

1. Advantages: Boasts a global network with a significant alumni presence in Asia and the Middle East. The program is intensive, fostering robust analytical and problem-solving skills essential for consulting. Offers elective courses in healthcare management.
2. Drawbacks: The accelerated curriculum may be demanding. The focus on consulting recruitment might be slightly less than that of HEC.

HEC:
Advantages: Provides specialized career guidance in healthcare, possesses robust connections within the French healthcare system, boasts the HEC Healthcare Club, and offers a competitive consulting career center.
Drawbacks: The network is more European-centric than INSEAD. The curriculum is less intense, necessitating more self-directed efforts.

INSEAD:

Program Pace: INSEAD is recognized for its rigorous, fast-paced academic environment. Expect a challenging yet enriching journey.
Consulting & Healthcare: INSEAD alumni are in high demand among premier consulting firms worldwide. Though not as focused as HEC in consulting recruitment, its expansive network and healthcare elective options present robust prospects.

HEC:
Healthcare Opportunities: HEC offers a specialized healthcare track and has solid ties with French healthcare entities. Their collaboration with IESE for a dual healthcare management degree enhances their portfolio, though IESE might hold a slight advantage in a healthcare-centric focus.

Ultimately, your decision should align with your unique aspirations and professional objectives. Deliberate on each program's strengths and weaknesses in relation to your goals, learning preferences, and financial circumstances. Engage with current students and alumni for firsthand experiences, and trust your instincts as you make your choice.

We offer a limited number of complimentary profile evaluations each week. We match you with the students and alums of top B-Schools according to your background and target schools. In this call, the experts will try to dig out your USP for top B-schools and provide you with honest feedback on your profile and chances to your target schools.

Book a free profile evaluation call now with Alums and Current students of INSEAD and HEC!

Neha Hadke
Strategy Manager
Testimonials
Meet our Panel of Consultants.
Email: neha@mbaandbeyond.com
MBA and Beyond

Jaidee wrote:
Hi everyone,

Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thank you so much Arvind!! Such a privilege to receive your insightful advice!

May I kindly follow-up on some quick questions - more about employment and relocation:
1) How does INSEAD's recent employment rate looks like? I heard 2023D (Singy) rate is around 40%...due to economics and Singaporean gov has strict policy on granting work permit (please correct me if over-concerned ๐Ÿ˜‚)
2) If I'd like to stay in Europe, will HEC Paris or IESE provide me better chance? I heard over 90% HEC & IESE students were able to stay in the EU
3) If I may ask, what would you suggest me to do during pre-MBA so I'd have better chance to get into top consulting firms? (other than mocking case interviews, connecting with alum...should I possess advanced Financial knowledge or Excel skills...๐Ÿ˜‚)

Thank you so much and have a nice day!! :)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks Aanchal very much for the advice!! They are super helpful and inspiring!

May I kindly ask if the consulting industry is shrinking recently...with many firms lay-off/defer recruitment? Just wondering if due to Econ downturn, will a switch to corporate (like Healthcare) be a safer choice? If so, will INSEAD help me on breaking into Healthcare companies, over IESE and HEC Paris (as they seems to be more corporate-focused)?

May I ask based on your experiences, how many INSEADers (Founty and Singy) were able to stay in EU/Singapore? I heard a few INSEAD alum said that due to the extremely short program, they might not be able to stay/relocate, while other schools provided higher possibilities due to longer length? Especially for Singy, as Singapore gov has strict work permit policy? (Please correct me if I'm wrong๐Ÿ˜‚)

Thank you so much and have a great day!!
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 615 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
Send PM
Jaidee wrote:
Thanks Aanchal very much for the advice!! They are super helpful and inspiring!

May I kindly ask if the consulting industry is shrinking recently...with many firms lay-off/defer recruitment? Just wondering if due to Econ downturn, will a switch to corporate (like Healthcare) be a safer choice? If so, will INSEAD help me on breaking into Healthcare companies, over IESE and HEC Paris (as they seems to be more corporate-focused)?

May I ask based on your experiences, how many INSEADers (Founty and Singy) were able to stay in EU/Singapore? I heard a few INSEAD alum said that due to the extremely short program, they might not be able to stay/relocate, while other schools provided higher possibilities due to longer length? Especially for Singy, as Singapore gov has strict work permit policy? (Please correct me if I'm wrong๐Ÿ˜‚)

Thank you so much and have a great day!!

Jaidee I would say that the recruitment shrinkage trends we're currently witnessing repeat every 3-4 years. It's hard to predict what the scenario will be like upon your graduation, but optimistically, it might improve in a couple of years, especially if we're in the midst of the ongoing recession.

Regarding the question of transitioning into healthcare, I'd need more information about your background. But one thing I can say is that if INSEAD granted you admission, they likely assessed your ability to achieve your career goals ( if you highlighted a focus on the healthcare sector). In this direction, INSEAD can offer networking opportunities and some shortlists, but the actual conversion of an offer depends largely on your efforts. You're likely in the best position to judge how well your profile aligns with what healthcare consulting companies or healthcare-focused corporates/startups seek. This holds for IESE and HEC as well. If you believe a slightly more paced program suits you better, HEC might be a suitable choice. Ultimately, it's a personal decision, and neither choice would be wrong if it leads you to your desired role or sector. However, long-term brand association and alumni connections often drive applicants to choose INSEAD over other schools.

At INSEAD, most individuals manage to continue working in their targeted regions post-MBA, with Singapore being an exception due to limited vacancies for international applicants, but this is a well-known fact among those opting for the Singapore campus. However, those wishing to remain in Southeast Asia/Asia usually find opportunities in neighboring countries or even gradually in Singapore. Many individuals also target the Middle East through INSEAD. Upon completing your MBA, you'll also have the option to spend additional time on campus to continue your job search, with the school assisting in securing an extended visa if needed.

Best wishes

Aanchal Sahni (INSEAD alum, former INSEAD admissions interviewer)
MBAGuideConsulting
LinkedIn |WEBSITE: https://mbaguideconsulting.com/ | Message: +91 9971200927| email- mbaguideconsulting@gmail.com
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thank you Sahni soo much for the kind advice and information!! They are super helpful!โค๏ธ

Re Healthcare: My background is solely Big 4 consulting with no corporate background, yet has served many global top 10 healthcare clients (mostly in HR & Operations consulting). And, I actually didn't indicate Healthcare as my target industry in INSEAD application โ€” I simply put Consulting. Only recently did I find out many consulting firms are shrinking and it's likely to last till 2025 when I graduate๐Ÿ˜‚ (Will this information be helpful to evaluate on the potential of breaking into Healthcare corps?๐Ÿ˜„)

Also, may I kindly ask if INSEAD Fonty campus are more likely to stay in Europe, comparing with Singy campus (to stay in Singapore)? If so, may I ask if you have any advice on how may I request to switch home campus to Fonty (as the Singy AO didn't allow...๐Ÿ˜‚)

Lastly just curious, if convenient, may I ask if you have any suggestions on how to make the most of the exciting INSEAD journey? Thank you so much Sahni!!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 210 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Jaidee wrote:
Thank you so much Arvind!! Such a privilege to receive your insightful advice!

May I kindly follow-up on some quick questions - more about employment and relocation:
1) How does INSEAD's recent employment rate looks like? I heard 2023D (Singy) rate is around 40%...due to economics and Singaporean gov has strict policy on granting work permit (please correct me if over-concerned ๐Ÿ˜‚)
2) If I'd like to stay in Europe, will HEC Paris or IESE provide me better chance? I heard over 90% HEC & IESE students were able to stay in the EU
3) If I may ask, what would you suggest me to do during pre-MBA so I'd have better chance to get into top consulting firms? (other than mocking case interviews, connecting with alum...should I possess advanced Financial knowledge or Excel skills...๐Ÿ˜‚)

Thank you so much and have a nice day!! :)

Jaidee - some thoughts, these are my personal opinions ofcourse:

1. Singapore, especially over the past 5-6 years, is less open to international work permits, particularly for big companies (e.g. F-500). However, for start-ups/ mid-sized companies (including consulting boutiques), this is less of a concern as they are more likely to justify hiring internationals. For MBB's, I've seen them extend offers to international candidates in Malaysia, Philippines and other SE-Asian countries. Some candidates take up those offers and eventually relocate to SG later. As for the exact placement numbers, since we don't have the official data, I'm unable to comment. If you graduate from INSEAD though, and are open to relocating geographically (e.g. ME, SEA, UK, EU), you don't have to worry much about getting placed.

2. HEC is the stronger brand, and has a good alumni base in EU regions like France, Germany and English-friendly pockets like Amsterdam, Nordics (this is a recent trend over the past 3-4 years), the UK and Middle East. This covers consulting and general management (retail, luxury, heathcare etc.) roles. However, IESE is quickly catching up in all these areas, and I've heard great things about their career development center. You could check out some insights from IESE AdCom here. If staying in Europe is your priority, both are good: I'd pick HEC, as I did :)

3. You're on the right path. Connecting with alum and forming a network in your target firms gives you a good heads up. Also the case prep i.e. developing the "consultant mindset", structured thinking etc. Practice is the key to cracking consulting case interviews.

Hope this helps. All the best for the journey ahead, let us know which program you end up picking!

Regards,
Arvind
Founder, admitStreet
W: https://admitstreet.com | LinkedIn | E: consultingteam@admitstreet.com
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
MBA Admissions Consultant
3700 posts