GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Dec 2018, 23:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
2526272829301
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
303112345
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Happy Christmas 20% Sale! Math Revolution All-In-One Products!

     December 20, 2018

     December 20, 2018

     10:00 PM PST

     11:00 PM PST

    This is the most inexpensive and attractive price in the market. Get the course now!
  • Key Strategies to Master GMAT SC

     December 22, 2018

     December 22, 2018

     07:00 AM PST

     09:00 AM PST

    Attend this webinar to learn how to leverage Meaning and Logic to solve the most challenging Sentence Correction Questions.

Selena claims to have psychic powers. So if we find out whether Selena

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
P
Joined: 07 Dec 2017
Posts: 291
Selena claims to have psychic powers. So if we find out whether Selena  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Aug 2018, 05:50
7
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  95% (hard)

Question Stats:

19% (01:12) correct 81% (01:34) wrong based on 155 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Selena claims to have psychic powers. So if we find out whether Selena's claim is true, we will thereby determine whether it is possible to have psychic powers.

The conclusion drawn above follows logically if which one of the following is assumed?

A. No one else has yet been found to have psychic powers.

B. If it is possible to have psychic powers, then Selena has them.

C. It is possible to determine whether Selena has psychic powers.

D. If Selena's claim turns out to be false, we will not know whether it is possible to have psychic powers.

E. We will not be able to determine whether it is possible to have psychic powers unless we find out whether Selena's claim is true.

LSAT

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 03 Apr 2017
Posts: 44
Premium Member
Re: Selena claims to have psychic powers. So if we find out whether Selena  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Aug 2018, 10:15
Confusing question, the age old negation method fails here.

Considering, 'So if we find out whether Selena's claim is true, we will thereby determine whether it is possible to have psychic powers.' as the conclusion under scrutiny.

A. No one else has yet been found to have psychic powers.

A can be correct. Since if someone already has psychic powers then finding out if Selena's claim is true does nothing about our ability to say whether psychic powers exist. If we negate A, we get that someone has psychic powers, so Selena's whole role in the argument/conclusion falls apart. We no longer need to determine Selena's claim to figure out if psychic powers are real. This assumption is essential to our argument.

B. If it is possible to have psychic powers, then Selena has them.

B can't be correct. Negating it we get something awkward. Selena has psychic powers and psychic powers are possible.
How I came to this?
http://www.math.niu.edu/~richard/Math101/implies.pdf
See page 3, example 5.
How is this hurting the argument?

C. It is possible to determine whether Selena has psychic powers.
Here in the stem, the conclusion is in the 'if..., then..' format. So this is not an assumption that affects the argument in anyway. Irrespective of our ability to determine Selena's ability, we can still make the argument that if we manage to gauge the ability then a certain thing will happen(in this case psychic powers will be proven)

Rest of the 2 are self explanatory.
Director
Director
User avatar
G
Joined: 20 Feb 2015
Posts: 795
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Premium Member
Selena claims to have psychic powers. So if we find out whether Selena  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Aug 2018, 10:58
AshutoshB wrote:
Selena claims to have psychic powers. So if we find out whether Selena's claim is true, we will thereby determine whether it is possible to have psychic powers.

The conclusion drawn above follows logically if which one of the following is assumed?

A. No one else has yet been found to have psychic powers.

B. If it is possible to have psychic powers, then Selena has them.

C. It is possible to determine whether Selena has psychic powers.

D. If Selena's claim turns out to be false, we will not know whether it is possible to have psychic powers.

E. We will not be able to determine whether it is possible to have psychic powers unless we find out whether Selena's claim is true.

LSAT





Came down to B and C for me .
I selected C because it helped me bridge "determining whether it is possible to have psychic powers" with "finding out Selena's claim".
negating both B and C affects the conclusion (Imo)
Just that if i negate both B and C ,chronologically B comes before C .
only when she has the power
her claim can be determined .

What say ?
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 10 Jul 2016
Posts: 15
Location: India
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Selena claims to have psychic powers. So if we find out whether Selena  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 23 Aug 2018, 11:30
1
Selena claims to have psychic powers. So if we find out whether Selena's claim is true, we will thereby determine whether it is possible to have psychic powers.

The conclusion drawn above follows logically if which one of the following is assumed?

Pre-Thinking:

The argument boils down to: if we find out whether Selena’s claim to have psychic powers is true or not, we will know whether it’s possible to have psychic powers. This argument can conclusively establish that psychic powers exists, if selena has psychic powers. If we can demonstrate that selena's claim is false, we only establish the absence of psychic power in this instance not in general. It cloud still be possible to have them even if selena doesn't. So the assumption must establish that if selena doesn't have psychic power, no one else can possibly have them.


A. No one else has yet been found to have psychic powers. This doesn't rule out that none else can have them

B. If it is possible to have psychic powers, then Selena has them. This establishes selena as the perfect candidate to have psychic powers. If it's possible she has them. If she doesn't then they are impossible to have.

C. It is possible to determine whether Selena has psychic powers. It could be impossible to determine whether Selena has psychic powers and the argument still remains true that if it were possible, we would know whether it is possible to have psychic powers.

D. If Selena's claim turns out to be false, we will not know whether it is possible to have psychic powers. This is is the reverse of what the argument wants to establish.

E. We will not be able to determine whether it is possible to have psychic powers unless we find out whether Selena's claim is true. This does nothing to resolve the issue that Selena not having psychics powers does not prove that they are impossible, unless it is a given that she would have them if they were possible.

ANS : B

Originally posted by mitravanu on 23 Aug 2018, 11:18.
Last edited by mitravanu on 23 Aug 2018, 11:30, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director
User avatar
G
Joined: 20 Feb 2015
Posts: 795
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Premium Member
Selena claims to have psychic powers. So if we find out whether Selena  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Aug 2018, 11:27
AshutoshB wrote:
Selena claims to have psychic powers. So if we find out whether Selena's claim is true, we will thereby determine whether it is possible to have psychic powers.

The conclusion drawn above follows logically if which one of the following is assumed?

A. No one else has yet been found to have psychic powers.

B. If it is possible to have psychic powers, then Selena has them.

C. It is possible to determine whether Selena has psychic powers.

D. If Selena's claim turns out to be false, we will not know whether it is possible to have psychic powers.

E. We will not be able to determine whether it is possible to have psychic powers unless we find out whether Selena's claim is true.

LSAT



Right !!

C is out because -

true means => can be determined !!
false doesn't mean cannot be determined !!

so B !!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
P
Joined: 07 Dec 2017
Posts: 291
Re: Selena claims to have psychic powers. So if we find out whether Selena  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Aug 2018, 23:36
3
mitrakaushi wrote:
Confusing question, the age old negation method fails here.

Considering, 'So if we find out whether Selena's claim is true, we will thereby determine whether it is possible to have psychic powers.' as the conclusion under scrutiny.

A. No one else has yet been found to have psychic powers.

A can be correct. Since if someone already has psychic powers then finding out if Selena's claim is true does nothing about our ability to say whether psychic powers exist. If we negate A, we get that someone has psychic powers, so Selena's whole role in the argument/conclusion falls apart. We no longer need to determine Selena's claim to figure out if psychic powers are real. This assumption is essential to our argument.

B. If it is possible to have psychic powers, then Selena has them.

B can't be correct. Negating it we get something awkward. Selena has psychic powers and psychic powers are possible.
How I came to this?
http://www.math.niu.edu/~richard/Math101/implies.pdf
See page 3, example 5.
How is this hurting the argument?

C. It is possible to determine whether Selena has psychic powers.
Here in the stem, the conclusion is in the 'if..., then..' format. So this is not an assumption that affects the argument in anyway. Irrespective of our ability to determine Selena's ability, we can still make the argument that if we manage to gauge the ability then a certain thing will happen(in this case psychic powers will be proven)

Rest of the 2 are self explanatory.



Lets start with the argument core.



Evidence: Selena claims to have psychic powers.

Conclusion: So if we find out that Selena's claim is true, then we'll thereby determine whether it's possible to have psychic powers.

On this Sufficient Assumption question we want an answer that ensures the conclusion follows. Suppose we assume that (B) is true; that if it is possible to have psychic powers, then Selena has them. Now ask yourself, would that justify the conclusion that finding out whether Selena's claim were true would indicate whether it's possible to have psychic powers? It would indeed, because if it's possible to have psychic powers then Selena has them, and finding out about them would tell us whether it's possible to have psychic powers.

The problem with the argument rests in the possibility that Selena's claim is false, and all the while it were possible to have psychic powers anyway. We need a link between what's true for her and what's true generally. Answer choice (B) provides that link.


Incorrect Answers
(A) doesn't connect the generality back to Selena, nor does it ensure one way or the other whether it is possible to have psychic powers.
(C) misses the fact that the conclusion is conditional. We're concerned with whether finding out that Selena has psychic powers tells us whether it's possible to have psychic powers. We're not concerned with how we find out whether Selena has psychic powers, but what finding that out would mean.
(D) hurts the conclusion by suggesting one circumstance that where we wouldn't know whether it were possible to have psychic powers.
(E) reverses the logic of the conditional statement in the argument's conclusion.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 31 Aug 2016
Posts: 168
Location: India
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V33
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V37
GPA: 2.81
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Selena claims to have psychic powers. So if we find out whether Selena  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Aug 2018, 00:45
AshutoshB wrote:
mitrakaushi wrote:
Confusing question, the age old negation method fails here.

Considering, 'So if we find out whether Selena's claim is true, we will thereby determine whether it is possible to have psychic powers.' as the conclusion under scrutiny.

A. No one else has yet been found to have psychic powers.

A can be correct. Since if someone already has psychic powers then finding out if Selena's claim is true does nothing about our ability to say whether psychic powers exist. If we negate A, we get that someone has psychic powers, so Selena's whole role in the argument/conclusion falls apart. We no longer need to determine Selena's claim to figure out if psychic powers are real. This assumption is essential to our argument.

B. If it is possible to have psychic powers, then Selena has them.

B can't be correct. Negating it we get something awkward. Selena has psychic powers and psychic powers are possible.
How I came to this?
http://www.math.niu.edu/~richard/Math101/implies.pdf
See page 3, example 5.
How is this hurting the argument?

C. It is possible to determine whether Selena has psychic powers.
Here in the stem, the conclusion is in the 'if..., then..' format. So this is not an assumption that affects the argument in anyway. Irrespective of our ability to determine Selena's ability, we can still make the argument that if we manage to gauge the ability then a certain thing will happen(in this case psychic powers will be proven)

Rest of the 2 are self explanatory.



Lets start with the argument core.



Evidence: Selena claims to have psychic powers.

Conclusion: So if we find out that Selena's claim is true, then we'll thereby determine whether it's possible to have psychic powers.

On this Sufficient Assumption question we want an answer that ensures the conclusion follows. Suppose we assume that (B) is true; that if it is possible to have psychic powers, then Selena has them. Now ask yourself, would that justify the conclusion that finding out whether Selena's claim were true would indicate whether it's possible to have psychic powers? It would indeed, because if it's possible to have psychic powers then Selena has them, and finding out about them would tell us whether it's possible to have psychic powers.

The problem with the argument rests in the possibility that Selena's claim is false, and all the while it were possible to have psychic powers anyway. We need a link between what's true for her and what's true generally. Answer choice (B) provides that link.


Incorrect Answers
(A) doesn't connect the generality back to Selena, nor does it ensure one way or the other whether it is possible to have psychic powers.
(C) misses the fact that the conclusion is conditional. We're concerned with whether finding out that Selena has psychic powers tells us whether it's possible to have psychic powers. We're not concerned with how we find out whether Selena has psychic powers, but what finding that out would mean.
(D) hurts the conclusion by suggesting one circumstance that where we wouldn't know whether it were possible to have psychic powers.
(E) reverses the logic of the conditional statement in the argument's conclusion.


very well explained thank you!
_________________

Resources
GMATNinja Webinars
GMATNinja Chats

Quant
Mixtures

GMAT Club Bot
Selena claims to have psychic powers. So if we find out whether Selena &nbs [#permalink] 24 Aug 2018, 00:45
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Selena claims to have psychic powers. So if we find out whether Selena

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.