GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Sep 2018, 12:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Self Study for GMAT 2018 | Self Preparation

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
Self Study for GMAT 2018 | Self Preparation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 17 Jun 2018, 09:39
Hello Awesome Folks of GMATClub,

My name is Louhit and I want to prepare for GMAT in next 3/4 months, My test date is on September 20th, 2018. I am clueless on how to start the preparation, though I have got Manhattan Strategy Guides and OGs, I am still struggling to make a study plan for myself. Please help me out in laying some basic guidelines on how to start preparing and which topics to cover day by day. I am weak in almost everything. Help me out Folks!

Thanks

Originally posted by louhit on 16 Jun 2018, 08:39.
Last edited by louhit on 17 Jun 2018, 09:39, edited 1 time in total.
BSchool Forum Moderator
V
GPA: 3.12
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Self Study for GMAT 2018 | Self Preparation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2018, 12:39
Hey louhit

Welcome to GMATClub!

Since you are beginning with preparation, I would recommend you to do the following things.

Download the GMATPrep software and take one of two free tests you get. Once you have
a preliminary score, the experts on the forum will be able to give you a clear idea on how
to proceed. Additionally, for tests, you should purchase the GMAT Prep Collection Bundle
(which contains 2 exam packs - EP1 and EP2 and a question pack - QP1)

To build the basic strategy to tackle GMAT, you should use the Manhattan Strategy Guides.
These books should help you clear the concepts for every topic. Always follow this up with
some practice. For practice, you can find all the questions at GMATClub. You should use the
Timer feature to time yourself once you are familiar with the concepts.

Verbal Section Prep
Additionally, you should use the PowerScore CR bible in order to build concepts for CR.
For RC, you could refer to the below-given link
https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-club-s- ... 83101.html

Some links you should find useful(for locating questions for practice)
SC: https://gmatclub.com/forum/sentence-cor ... 29750.html
CR: https://gmatclub.com/forum/critical-rea ... 28861.html
RC: https://gmatclub.com/forum/reading-comp ... 29341.html

Quant Section Prep
Link to GMAT Quantitative Mega-Thread(beneficial in understanding concepts)
https://gmatclub.com/forum/ultimate-gma ... 44512.html

Follow Bunuel. Solve all the questions in his signature. They contain some awesome questions
that give you the true taste of GMAT(Baker's Dozen, 12 Easy Pieces, Fresh Meat etc..)
Make it a habit to sure you solve each and every question he puts up on the forum to improve
your accuracy once you have completed the concepts. Keep an elaborate error-log in order to
understand where you make mistakes. Go through the mistakes you make from time to time.
This retrospection will definitely help you improve your scores.

Hope this helps you!

You've got what it takes, but it will take everything you've got

Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
P
Concentration: Finance
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2018, 12:45
louhit wrote:
Hello Awesome Folks of GMAT,

My name is Louhit and I want to prepare for GMAT in next 3/4 months, My test date is on September 20th, 2018. I am clueless on how to start the preparation, though I have got Manhattan Strategy Guides and OGs, I am still struggling to make a study plan for myself. Please help me out in laying some basic guidelines on how to start preparing and which topics to cover day by day. I am weak in almost everything. Help me out Folks!

Thanks

H louhit

You have excellent source to start with.

Official guides are indeed the best possible sources, since they incorporate real and retired practice questions from previous tests.

They come directly from GMAC who are creators of the test.

Manhattan prep is next best thing, their guides will cover all verbal and quant necessary for the exam.

Their 6 online CAT's are one of the best sources possible for mock exams, besides official ones on mba.com store.

It used to be that along with books you get access code for online Manhattan mocks, however you will need to check that with them, maybe that now is separate purchase.

Now, regarding study plan, if you dont want to use already existing study plans, you can either google them or search here on forum, you can devise your own.

In order to do that, first decide how many hours per day you can study, also how many days per week.

Since you have 3-4 months I suggest you to devise let say 2 month plan, so you have time to complete it twice.

Now, simply divide number of pages from your books with 60 days( if you choose to work every day) to get sense how many pages you need to finish per day or per week.

One day you may work less, the other when you are in the mood maybe more, thats all ok as long you are on your path to complete it.

Also you may choose to work on verbal and quant every day, or have verbal or quant days, when you will practice just one section, or just one topic.

Keep logs of your errors and come back later to them, so you can indentify your weakness in order to give them special attention.

If you already didnt, take practice exam, to see where you stand, then set a goal regarding your desired score and keep doing mocks lets say once every 2 weeks to see how you progress.

Create list of schools where you want to apply and check their average GMAT score of previously admitted students, as your goal.

Good luck and happy prep ! :)

Your kudos are much appreciated

EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 17 Jun 2018, 16:09
Hi louhit,

With a September 20th Test Date, you have about 3 months of study time - which is good. Since it sounds like you're just beginning your studies, then it would be a good idea to take a FULL-LENGTH practice CAT Test; you can take 2 for free at www.mba.com (and they come with some additional practice materials). If you want to do a little studying first, so that you can familiarize yourself with the basic content and question types, then that's okay - but you shouldn't wait too long to take that initial CAT. That score will give us a good sense of your natural strengths and weaknesses and will help provide a basis for comparison as you continue to study. A FULL CAT takes about 3.5 hours to complete, so make sure that you've set aside enough time to take it in one sitting. Once you have those scores, you should report back here and we can come up with a study plan.

I'd like to know a bit more about your timeline and goals:
1) What is your goal score?
2) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
3) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Director
Director
G
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Schools: XLRI (A)
GMAT 1: 700 Q51 V31
GPA: 3
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 18 Jun 2018, 20:42
Top Contributor
https://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-start ... 36048.html
louhit wrote:

Thanks

Ankit

Check my Tutoring Site -> Brush My Quant

GMAT Quant Tutor
How to start GMAT preparations?
How to Improve Quant Score?
Gmatclub Topic Tags
Check out my GMAT debrief

How to Solve :
Statistics || Reflection of a line || Remainder Problems || Inequalities

Manager
Manager
B
Self Study for GMAT 2018 | Self Preparation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jun 2018, 20:55
See thread
https://gmatclub.com/forum/og-online-qu ... s#p2080109

Are the products indispensable to optimal GMAT performance?
https://www.mba.com/us/store/store-cata ... ction.aspx
$287.92
Manhattan Prep Practice Tests - 6 for $49
Director
Director
P

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2018, 21:45
I would suggest you to give practice test in order to anLyze where you currently stand and focus on those things

Then start preparing for your areas and gmatclub has vast resources which will guide you

Give kudos if it helps

Posted from my mobile device
Target Test Prep Representative
G
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 02 Jul 2018, 08:31
louhit wrote:

Thanks

Hi Louhit,

I wanted to check in to see whether you are still studying for your GMAT. If so, can you let us know what is going on? Have you followed any advice given here? Are you still looking for advice?

Please let us know.

Thanks!

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO

GMAT Quant Self-Study Course
500+ lessons 3000+ practice problems 800+ HD solutions

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 04 Jul 2018, 08:25
Thank You, Everyone, for all the amazing advice, I have started preparing for Gmat, I have curated my study plan very meticulously on all your inputs and i am using Manhattan Guides, Official Guides, Egmat Verbal and Mocks from Veritas, Kaplan, Gmatprep and Manhattan. I would certainly post my doubts and queries if i needed your valuable input from the experience. Thank you again. This is an amazing community. Cheers !! :)
Re: Self Study for GMAT 2018 | Self Preparation &nbs [#permalink] 04 Jul 2018, 08:25

Self Study for GMAT 2018 | Self Preparation

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: souvonik2k

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap