Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 22:19 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 22:19

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date

Should I sale real estate while in B-school full-time?

You may select 1 option
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 2.42
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72888 [0]
Given Kudos: 18869
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Other, International Business
GMAT 1: 680 Q42 V41
Send PM
Re: Selling Real Estate while in B-School [#permalink]
Up here (in Ontario) you have to spend thousands of dollars each year in order to keep your license active including insurance, registration fees, etc. Plus the marketing expenses and desk fees (depending on your split with the brokerage). Assuming you mean working as a realtor, I would suspect many of those fees would apply in your state as well. Also, client service is one of the primary determinants of real estate success and I don't think a client would be happy about losing a house because you were in an exam or class presentation you couldn't get out of it...
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Yes, I mean I will have my real estate license in the DMV area while full-time. I wouldn't have any desk fees or desk assignements because I will have working relationship with a broker who doesn't require those fees. So the only feels that I would have are MLS and E&O insurance which is only $180 per year. The only expenses that I could see which could be varible are marketing.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 610 Q37 V36
GPA: 3.4
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Another alternative to being an agent would be to invest in real estate. I don't have a license but I plan on getting a Rental property and using that income to help while in b-school. Every city is different but in Atlanta it's not too hard to find a place below $100k that will bring in $400-500 per month profit. I have a place now with a $700 mortgage that I could rent for $1500/month :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Given Kudos: 95
Send PM
The good part about selling real estate, most showings are in the evening and weekends. The bad news, that's prime study time. Still since the hours are flexible, it sounds like a winner.
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Expert Reply
I don't know about this idea. Selling real estate while in business school sounds pretty hard. As far as I know, there are no set hours for being a real estate agent. Essentially you are at the beck and call of your clients. Assuming you want to make any money that is. Therefore, a client could call at anytime and want to see a home. Are you willing to walk out of class or an interview to make that happen? Are you willing to deal with all the distractions? My advice is to get really focused on what it is that you want out of school. The few thousands you would make as a real estate agent aren't life changing.
GMAT Club Bot