GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Oct 2018, 22:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Semiconductors to MBA

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
Semiconductors to MBA  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Jun 2018, 22:46
Hi All,
I have been working in semiconductor industry for the past 3 years as a backend engineer. I wish to explore the 1 year MBA program at ISB and hence will start preparing for GMAT. I want to know if it's a good option to pursue considering the monetary aspect. Which all companies will value my work experience and what are the profiles that will be open to me.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Manager
Manager
B
Re: Semiconductors to MBA  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Jun 2018, 23:54
Hi bangsatul, I have known people from semiconductor engineering background who have received pursued ISB PGP.

However, while waiting for people to respond, it might also be a good idea for you to directly write to ISB, asking them to get you in touch with alums from semiconductor engineering background.

A direct communication with these people will be your best and most authentic source of information.

Good luck!

http://www.ISBeacon.com

For ISB Aspirants, by ISB Alums

Free First essay
Free Profile Evaluation
Free ISB Essays Best Practices Document

ISBeacon: Your Beacon to ISB

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 20 Jun 2018, 00:10
ISBeacon wrote:
Hi bangsatul, I have known people from semiconductor engineering background who have received pursued ISB PGP.

However, while waiting for people to respond, it might also be a good idea for you to directly write to ISB, asking them to get you in touch with alums from semiconductor engineering background.

A direct communication with these people will be your best and most authentic source of information.

Good luck!
Hi,
How can I write to ISB. Is there any alumni club in ISB?

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 20 Jun 2018, 00:32
You could try dropping a mail to pgp@isb.edu.

http://www.ISBeacon.com

For ISB Aspirants, by ISB Alums

Free First essay
Free Profile Evaluation
Free ISB Essays Best Practices Document

ISBeacon: Your Beacon to ISB

Admissionado
G
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School

Show Tags

New post 20 Jun 2018, 20:23
It's definitely going to depend on what you WANT to do post-MBA. Do you want to move from an engineering role to business role? If so why? What do you hope to accomplish in the next 5-10 years in your career & why? There are any number of options that are available to you post-MBA, but ISB is going to want to know WHY doing xyz is your passion. That sets you up to articulate why their school and their program is the best path to get there and is also helps you differentiate yourself from other candidates. The adcom doesn't just want to know what you COULD do, they want to know what you WANT to do & why. It's also critical to articulate the specific skill gaps you need to fill via the MBA to get there. Yes, the MBA gives you credibility & often a salary bump, but the adcom wants to know what you need to LEARN in b-school.

So my advice would be to think through your 5 and 10 year career goals & figure out what you genuinely feel passionate about & whether or not an MBA is even required. ISB offers a lot of stats on their website in terms of what types of industries & roles people go into after their program so I personally wouldn't recommend reaching out to them since this is homework you could do yourself. But take a look at those & see if they resonate with you. http://www.isb.edu/pgp/careers/placement-trends

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado | Packages | Success Stories | Team

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

VP
VP
G
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: Q800 V740

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2018, 22:56
Top Contributor
bangsatul wrote:
Hi All,
I have been working in semiconductor industry for the past 3 years as a backend engineer. I wish to explore the 1 year MBA program at ISB and hence will start preparing for GMAT. I want to know if it's a good option to pursue considering the monetary aspect. Which all companies will value my work experience and what are the profiles that will be open to me.

Hi Atul

Thanks for posting.
- The MBA (PGP) from ISB certainly makes sense for someone like you. It would provide career progression and higher salaries as well.
- In the past, students from a semiconductor background (pre ISB) have made it to organizations such as Intel and Samsung (in business roles) post ISB. They have also found employment in product management roles in organizations such as Microsoft and Amazon.
- Your backend engineering background can be a positive or a negative - depends on the work you have done and the projects you have worked on. Can comment more once we have more details on this from your side.

Hope this helps. Feel free to come back with more queries as needed.

GyanOne | Top MBA Rankings and MBA Admissions Blog

Top MBA Admissions Consulting | Top MiM Admissions Consulting

Premium MBA Essay Review|Best MBA Interview Preparation|Exclusive GMAT coaching

Get a FREE Detailed MBA Profile Evaluation | Call us now +91 98998 31738

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Semiconductors to MBA &nbs [#permalink] 29 Jun 2018, 22:56

Semiconductors to MBA

new topic post reply Update application status  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap