Last visit was: 16 May 2024, 04:04 It is currently 16 May 2024, 04:04

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [1]
Given Kudos: 81
Send PM
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2065 [1]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 230 [1]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
MBA and Beyond Consulting
Status:MBA Admissions Consulting from INSEAD, Wharton and Columbia graduates
Affiliations: INSEAD and Harvard
Own Kudos [?]: 354 [1]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Re: Sending GMAT scores to schools / applying for a waiver [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi KEADM,

Thanks for the post,

To answer your questions-

1) Waivers should be requested for schools where you are 20–30 points below the required score. However, I would advise choosing waivers if you are unable to manage your exam day anxiety and cannot aspire for earning that 20–30 points. A rebuttal of the waivers to the AdComs would also need to be taken into consideration. Build a strong profile so that the AdComs are cognizant of other aspects.

2) Although the possibilities are slim, one cannot be certain that the colleges won't look at your test scores.

Also, for your reference, I suggest you go through our article on How to write successful GMAT waiver request letters for MBA Application, you will get some insights.

Overall we would like to know more about your profile to gauge your chances better. Feel free to submit your profile here for a profile evaluation & get additional benefits. We'll be happy to assist you and enhance your profile.

Cheers!
Neha Hadke
Strategy Manager
Testimonials
Email: neha@mbaandbeyond.com
Visit our website www.mbaandbeyond.com for more MBA resources.

KEADM wrote:
Hello experts!
I recently gave my GMAT online but didn't quite perform as expected and got a 680 (Q49, V33).
[In last 5-6 mocks I consistently scored around 710-720. But exam day brings anxiety issues in me & that's why I believe I couldn't perform well. Hence, also not planning to give another attempt.]

Rest of the profile:
Indian, Male
Undergraduate: Good school, GPA - 3.7 (STEM)
Work ex: ~3.5 years (to date) in core engineering field.
Extra curricular - Yes. Some leadership & volunteering experience.
Target Schools : Johnson, Darden, Tepper, Tuck, Fuqua, Ross.

My questions to experts :

1) I am planning to use GMAT waiver (if approved) at some of these schools where the avg gmat score is 20-30 points higher than my score. The reason is because I believe my current score will undermine my GPA & won't do anything favorable to my application. Experts please give your views on this.

2) Is it okay if I apply for GMAT waiver after sending the score to schools? I am assuming schools wont look at the score until after submission of complete application and i can really use my "free send scores" which expires in next 30 hours.
Also, if my waiver is accepted, will the schools still look at my score since they have the access? (which I don't want them to!). Please guide, really confused.

Request your urgent help! Thanks a lot.
mbaMissionKate MBAandBeyond Admissionado ARINGO
ChristineFortuna ApplicantLab ScottTargetTestPrep
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 286 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Expert Reply
KEADM wrote:
Hello experts!
I recently gave my GMAT online but didn't quite perform as expected and got a 680 (Q49, V33).
[In last 5-6 mocks I consistently scored around 710-720. But exam day brings anxiety issues in me & that's why I believe I couldn't perform well. Hence, also not planning to give another attempt.]

Rest of the profile:
Indian, Male
Undergraduate: Good school, GPA - 3.7 (STEM)
Work ex: ~3.5 years (to date) in core engineering field.
Extra curricular - Yes. Some leadership & volunteering experience.
Target Schools : Johnson, Darden, Tepper, Tuck, Fuqua, Ross.

My questions to experts :

1) I am planning to use GMAT waiver (if approved) at some of these schools where the avg gmat score is 20-30 points higher than my score. The reason is because I believe my current score will undermine my GPA & won't do anything favorable to my application. Experts please give your views on this.

2) Is it okay if I apply for GMAT waiver after sending the score to schools? I am assuming schools wont look at the score until after submission of complete application and i can really use my "free send scores" which expires in next 30 hours.
Also, if my waiver is accepted, will the schools still look at my score since they have the access? (which I don't want them to!). Please guide, really confused.

Request your urgent help! Thanks a lot.
mbaMissionKate MBAandBeyond Admissionado ARINGO
ChristineFortuna ApplicantLab ScottTargetTestPrep

Hello KEADM,

Thanks for writing in.

While logic says that the schools will not check your score until you submit your application, one cannot comment on this with a cent percent certainty.

With regard to applying with a waiver, you should have strong reasoning for applying with one. To be honest, we are not sure if the waiver will put you at such a major advantage. Our recommendation would be to try your best and take that score up as much as you can. Of course, applying to a broader portfolio of schools that includes some practical options as well is strongly recommended.

Good luck!
GMAT Club Bot