Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 09:37 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 09:37

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 475 [0]
Given Kudos: 84
GMAT Date: 04-30-2015
Send PM
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [2]
Given Kudos: 130
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Sentence Correction Query [#permalink]
Recently implemented “shift-work equations” based on studies of the human sleep cycle have reduced sickness, sleeping on the job, fatigue among shift workers, and have raised production efficiency in various industries.

(A) fatigue among shift workers, and have raised
(B) fatigue among shift workers, and raised
(C) and fatigue among shift workers while raising
(D) lowered fatigue among shift workers, and raised
(E) and fatigue among shift workers was lowered while raising

Here the correct answer choice is choice C, with a new word “while”.

Although "while" here denotes simultaneous action and so is appropriately used.
my doubt is with regard to the word "raising".
what role is it playing here? Verb-ing modifer or is it the verb for “shift-work equations” which already has one verb:have reduced
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [0]
Re: Sentence Correction Query [#permalink]
Expert Reply
earnit wrote:
Recently implemented “shift-work equations” based on studies of the human sleep cycle have reduced sickness, sleeping on the job, fatigue among shift workers, and have raised production efficiency in various industries.

what role is it playing here? Verb-ing modifer or is it the verb for “shift-work equations” which already has one verb:have reduced

Dear earnit,
My friend, when you post GMAT SC, please underline the appropriate text in the problem. Here, I did that for you. That makes everything about the question much more clear.

The word "while" acts as a preposition in some cases, so the gerund "raising" is the object of the preposition. It makes perfect sense here, because the implicit subject is the subject of the sentence.

Does this make sense?
Mike :-)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
mikemcgarry wrote:
earnit wrote:

Dear earnit,
My friend, when you post GMAT SC, please underline the appropriate text in the problem. Here, I did that for you. That makes everything about the question much more clear.

The word "while" acts as a preposition in some cases, so the gerund "raising" is the object of the preposition. It makes perfect sense here, because the implicit subject is the subject of the sentence.

Does this make sense?

Thank you for your response Mike.

Kindly correct me as i try to put forth my interpretation of the same. The preposition "while" is also providing a contrast here?
Another thing, if gerund 'raising' is the subject here so is it imperative that it must also have a Verb to follow the S+V Agreement of clause?

Look forward to some assistance here.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Finance, Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 480 Q34 V22
GMAT 2: 540 Q33 V31
GMAT 3: 620 Q42 V34
GPA: 3.6
WE:Other (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Sentence Correction Query [#permalink]
Dear Mike,

thanks for your Valuable input.

Mike,

why is Option B incorrect ? Shouldn't the correct answer read .... "Have reduced ... and raised" ....

Regards,
BABAR
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [2]
Kudos
Expert Reply
earnit wrote:

Kindly correct me as i try to put forth my interpretation of the same. The preposition "while" is also providing a contrast here?
Another thing, if gerund 'raising' is the subject here so is it imperative that it must also have a Verb to follow the S+V Agreement of clause?

Babar28 wrote:
Dear Mike,
thanks for your Valuable input. why is Option B incorrect ? Shouldn't the correct answer read .... "Have reduced ... and raised" ....
Regards,
BABAR

Dear earnit & Babar,
I'm happy to help. :-)

First of all, the "while" does provide contrast, and that contrast is logically necessary to the sentence. This is precisely why (A) & (B) are wrong. Choices (A) & (B) are examples of False Parallelism. False Parallelism is the mistake of automatically putting every single verb in the sentence in parallel, regardless of their meaning. The GMAT loves to trap folks with this mistake. Folks struggle with parallelism, and sometimes folks approach it mechanically, almost mathematically --- just match everything according to the same structure. The problem is that parallelism is not simply a grammatical structure --- it is just as much a logical structure, so we absolutely cannot afford to ignore the logical implications of putting all the words in parallel.

Think about this context. The "shift work equations" were based on getting workers enough sleep, so OK, had various health benefits, and the first verb, "have reduced," lists in parallel three negative health impacts that were made better by implementing these measures. OK, so the measure benefit worker health. But then, the second part tells us that there is also a bottom-line implication: production efficiency increases. Wait a moment! That's something completely different! This measure not only impacts the biological well-being of the workers but it also has direct implication for the economic well-being of the company. That's very different! That deserves a contrast word, not simply another "and." That's why (B) is wrong.

And, earnit, as to your second question: anything that follows a preposition is NOT a subject. Anything that follows a preposition is the object of the preposition. This is precisely why we use the objective forms of personal pronouns (me, him, her, us, them), not the subject forms (I, he, she, we, they), after a preposition --- without me, to him, after her, because of us, for them. Prepositions take objects, so here, "raising" is an object.

Does all this make sense?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Finance, Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 480 Q34 V22
GMAT 2: 540 Q33 V31
GMAT 3: 620 Q42 V34
GPA: 3.6
WE:Other (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Dear Mike,

thanks for the reply.

very well explained.

thanks alot :)

regards,
BABAR
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Perfect.

Thanks a ton mike.

Gerund is a Verb-ing acting as a noun so as a noun entity, it can act as a Subject or an object.

here owing to the fact that 'raising' follows preposition and subject is never preceded by a preposition, so that is what makes the gerund an object.

Thank you.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 711 [0]
Schools: IIMC (A)
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 2.6
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
mikemcgarry wrote:
earnit wrote:

Babar28 wrote:
Dear Mike,
thanks for your Valuable input. why is Option B incorrect ? Shouldn't the correct answer read .... "Have reduced ... and raised" ....
Regards,
BABAR

Dear earnit & Babar,
I'm happy to help. :-)

First of all, the "while" does provide contrast, and that contrast is logically necessary to the sentence. This is precisely why (A) & (B) are wrong. Choices (A) & (B) are examples of False Parallelism. False Parallelism is the mistake of automatically putting every single verb in the sentence in parallel, regardless of their meaning. The GMAT loves to trap folks with this mistake. Folks struggle with parallelism, and sometimes folks approach it mechanically, almost mathematically --- just match everything according to the same structure. The problem is that parallelism is not simply a grammatical structure --- it is just as much a logical structure, so we absolutely cannot afford to ignore the logical implications of putting all the words in parallel.

Think about this context. The "shift work equations" were based on getting workers enough sleep, so OK, had various health benefits, and the first verb, "have reduced," lists in parallel three negative health impacts that were made better by implementing these measures. OK, so the measure benefit worker health. But then, the second part tells us that there is also a bottom-line implication: production efficiency increases. Wait a moment! That's something completely different! This measure not only impacts the biological well-being of the workers but it also has direct implication for the economic well-being of the company. That's very different! That deserves a contrast word, not simply another "and." That's why (B) is wrong.

And, earnit, as to your second question: anything that follows a preposition is NOT a subject. Anything that follows a preposition is the object of the preposition. This is precisely why we use the objective forms of personal pronouns (me, him, her, us, them), not the subject forms (I, he, she, we, they), after a preposition --- without me, to him, after her, because of us, for them. Prepositions take objects, so here, "raising" is an object.

Does all this make sense?

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the awesome explanation. As I have earlier said, your every word is worth its weight in gold. Thanks for clearing my doubt... :-)
GMAT Club Bot