GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 24 Jun 2018, 09:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Sequences and Series

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 21 Jan 2014
Posts: 99
GMAT 1: 500 Q32 V28
GPA: 4
Sequences and Series [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Aug 2015, 06:52
Hi,

I would like to master Sequences and Series for the GMAT.
Does anyone knows some good source on internet from where I can study these topics?

Thanks a lot :)
Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
User avatar
D
Status: GMAT Assassin/Co-Founder
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Joined: 19 Dec 2014
Posts: 11823
Location: United States (CA)
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170
Re: Sequences and Series [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Aug 2015, 11:13
Hi pepo,

How are you performing on the Quant section overall and on the GMAT overall? Have you taken any FULL-LENGTH CATs (and if you have, then what are your Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores?)?

I ask because 'sequences' are a relatively rare subject on the GMAT (you'll likely see just 1 sequence question on Test Day), so it's not a big 'point gainer.' If you're looking to make big improvements to your scores, then you should be focusing more on the bigger categories.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
_________________

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 21 Jan 2014
Posts: 99
GMAT 1: 500 Q32 V28
GPA: 4
Re: Sequences and Series [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Aug 2015, 00:58
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi pepo,

How are you performing on the Quant section overall and on the GMAT overall? Have you taken any FULL-LENGTH CATs (and if you have, then what are your Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores?)?

I ask because 'sequences' are a relatively rare subject on the GMAT (you'll likely see just 1 sequence question on Test Day), so it's not a big 'point gainer.' If you're looking to make big improvements to your scores, then you should be focusing more on the bigger categories.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich



Hi Rich,

my recent score is 590 (V.33, Q 39) - MGMAT CAT.
I know that questions on sequencies and numbers are few, but I want to master them in order to have more topics in which I am strong on.

BTW, What are "the bigger categories"?
So I can concentrate on them as well :)

Thanks a million!!!
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 46307
Re: Sequences and Series [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Aug 2015, 01:04
1
2
pepo wrote:
Hi,

I would like to master Sequences and Series for the GMAT.
Does anyone knows some good source on internet from where I can study these topics?

Thanks a lot :)


Theory on sequences problems: sequences-progressions-101891.html

All DS sequences problems to practice: search.php?search_id=tag&tag_id=111
All PS sequences problems to practice: search.php?search_id=tag&tag_id=112


I also suggest you to go through the following post - ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT ! ! !.

Hope it helps.
_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 21 Jan 2014
Posts: 99
GMAT 1: 500 Q32 V28
GPA: 4
Re: Sequences and Series [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Aug 2015, 06:01
1
Bunuel wrote:
pepo wrote:
Hi,

I would like to master Sequences and Series for the GMAT.
Does anyone knows some good source on internet from where I can study these topics?

Thanks a lot :)


Theory on sequences problems: sequences-progressions-101891.html

All DS sequences problems to practice: search.php?search_id=tag&tag_id=111
All PS sequences problems to practice: search.php?search_id=tag&tag_id=112


I also suggest you to go through the following post - ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT ! ! !.

Hope it helps.




Woow that's amazing, thanks a million Banuel!!! :D
Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
User avatar
D
Status: GMAT Assassin/Co-Founder
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Joined: 19 Dec 2014
Posts: 11823
Location: United States (CA)
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170
Re: Sequences and Series [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Aug 2015, 14:00
Hi pepo,

In the Quant section, you're going to end up using Algebra and Arithmetic skills on most questions, so making sure that you know all of those math rules (and can do the math correctly by hand) is a must. Data Sufficiency is another big category (you'll likely see about 15 DS questions on Test Day) and those questions revolve around skills that are not, strictly-speaking, 'math skills' - organization, accuracy, attention-to-detail, thoroughness, the ability to prove that your idea is correct, etc.

With a Q39, you're missing out on points in a number of different areas AND you're likely making silly/little mistakes along the way. As such, sequences should NOT be on your mind right now. There are too many points to be picked up in other areas.

How long have you been studying?
What materials have you been using?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
_________________

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 21 Jan 2014
Posts: 99
GMAT 1: 500 Q32 V28
GPA: 4
Re: Sequences and Series [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Aug 2015, 01:38
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi pepo,

In the Quant section, you're going to end up using Algebra and Arithmetic skills on most questions, so making sure that you know all of those math rules (and can do the math correctly by hand) is a must. Data Sufficiency is another big category (you'll likely see about 15 DS questions on Test Day) and those questions revolve around skills that are not, strictly-speaking, 'math skills' - organization, accuracy, attention-to-detail, thoroughness, the ability to prove that your idea is correct, etc.

With a Q39, you're missing out on points in a number of different areas AND you're likely making silly/little mistakes along the way. As such, sequences should NOT be on your mind right now. There are too many points to be picked up in other areas.

How long have you been studying?
What materials have you been using?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich


Hi Rich,

I have been studying since February 2014 and I have used a lot of materials:
GMAT OG;
MGMAT Foundations of Math and Verbal
Kaplan
GMATprep (italian book)
Princenton Review 1037
and now I signed on Empower online course and I am following the 3 months study plan.
Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
User avatar
D
Status: GMAT Assassin/Co-Founder
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Joined: 19 Dec 2014
Posts: 11823
Location: United States (CA)
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170
Re: Sequences and Series [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Aug 2015, 12:15
Hi pepo,

From the list of resources that you named, it looks like your studies have been 'book-heavy'; many Test Takers who study in that way end up getting 'stuck' at a particular scoring level. Even the best books are limited in what they can teach you; they also can't force you to approach questions in a certain way and their explanations are often one-sided.

Since you've just stared the EMPOWERgmat Course, I highly recommend that you put a little bit of extra time into the Stage 1 Modules/assignments. The most valuable strategic Quant materials are in that section of the Course (and we put them 'up front' so that you have the most time to practice them). You'll likely see some immediate improvement in your Quant scores right in the first couple weeks of study.

If you have any questions during your studies, you can feel free to contact me directly (or email the support Team at Info@empowergmat.com).

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
_________________

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 21 Jan 2014
Posts: 99
GMAT 1: 500 Q32 V28
GPA: 4
Re: Sequences and Series [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Aug 2015, 02:16
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi pepo,

From the list of resources that you named, it looks like your studies have been 'book-heavy'; many Test Takers who study in that way end up getting 'stuck' at a particular scoring level. Even the best books are limited in what they can teach you; they also can't force you to approach questions in a certain way and their explanations are often one-sided.

Since you've just stared the EMPOWERgmat Course, I highly recommend that you put a little bit of extra time into the Stage 1 Modules/assignments. The most valuable strategic Quant materials are in that section of the Course (and we put them 'up front' so that you have the most time to practice them). You'll likely see some immediate improvement in your Quant scores right in the first couple weeks of study.

If you have any questions during your studies, you can feel free to contact me directly (or email the support Team at Info@empowergmat.com).

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich



Thanks Rich!

I'll do it for sure!

Best!
Non-Human User
User avatar
Joined: 09 Sep 2013
Posts: 7058
Premium Member
Re: Sequences and Series [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Feb 2017, 13:00
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
_________________

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

Re: Sequences and Series   [#permalink] 21 Feb 2017, 13:00
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Sequences and Series

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


cron

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.