It is currently 19 Oct 2017, 04:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Several inexpensive new vaccines have recently been developed that may

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 14 [1], given: 17

Several inexpensive new vaccines have recently been developed that may [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Oct 2015, 10:31
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

75% (hard)

Question Stats:

58% (02:04) correct 42% (01:54) wrong based on 196 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Several inexpensive new vaccines have recently been developed that may help eliminate malaria, a disease that is believed to kill more than 2 million people worldwide each year. All of these vaccines, however, can sometimes produce acute, albeit short-lived and rarely fatal, side effects, the most unpleasant of which are intense diarrhea and severe skin reactions. Countries with the highest incidence of malaria should begin implementing as soon as possible a vaccination program using the vaccine that has shown the lowest incidence of severe skin reactions as a side effect.

Each of the following, if true, gives support to the recommendation above, EXCEPT:

a)The severe skin reactions caused by the new vaccines are rated as slightly more unpleasant by those who have experienced them as compared to the intense diarrhea.
b)The new vaccine that has shown the lowest incidence of severe skin reactions as a side effect costs approximately the same per dose as the other new vaccines.
c)The diarrhea that is a side effect of these vaccines is no more life threatening than the skin reactions that are a side effect of these vaccines.
d)In treating patients with intense diarrhea as a side effect of one these vaccines, it is sometimes necessary to resort to I.V. hydration.
d)All of the recently developed new vaccines have shown the same incidence of intense diarrhea as a side effect.

So, I understand that we need an answer that does NOT support the argument, the correct answer as per Kaplan is D, and I do understand why it is correct. But I initially chose B, can someone explain why C and B are incorrecT?

in b- it basically says that both vaccines cost the same hence, you are not supporting the decision to buy one vs the other. Is my reasoning correct?? given this is an except question we just need to find 4 answers that DO support the argument and my POE we will arrive at the answer. I do not see how B and C support the argument. In B, how can a statement that says that both vaccines cost the same support the decision to buy the vaccine with lowest incidence of skin reactions?

best
Oloman
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Kudos [?]: 14 [1], given: 17

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesOptimus Prep Discount CodesMagoosh Discount Codes
G

Kudos [?]: 9047 [0], given: 1154

Re: Several inexpensive new vaccines have recently been developed that may [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Oct 2015, 11:47
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hi

First of all. please, read the rules for posting in verbal section inasmuch the title of the post must be the first phrase of the question, itself

Back to your question: you need to find an answer that not weaken or strengthen the stimulus.i.e. a choice that DOES NOT show some relation to the side effects.

Only d shows this: how is cured the diarrhea does not affect the argument at stake. SO D is the correct answer.

Side note: this kind of question EXCEPT could be really confusing due to the nature that you must find an answer out of scope whereas in general the out of scope answers are the first you eliminate from the ball park

Hope this helps

regards

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS AND RESOURCES
Quant: 1. ALL GMATPrep questions Quant/Verbal 2. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 3. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 4. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version 5. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Quant Videos
Verbal:1. Verbal question bank and directories by Carcass 2. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Verbal Videos 3. Critical Reasoning_Oldy but goldy question banks 4. Sentence Correction_Oldy but goldy question banks 5. Reading-comprehension_Oldy but goldy question banks

Kudos [?]: 9047 [0], given: 1154

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 17

Re: Several inexpensive new vaccines have recently been developed that may [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Oct 2015, 12:41
thanks a lot, and will read the rules for posting, apologies for not writing down the title with the question.

Can you please explain why B is incorrect? We are looking for an answer that does not affect the argument, in b) if all vaccines cost the same, then cost could not be a reason to choose one vs the other. Am I reading b correctly? or what is wrong with b?

b)The new vaccine that has shown the lowest incidence of severe skin reactions as a side effect costs approximately the same per dose as the other new vaccines.

carcass wrote:
Hi

First of all. please, read the rules for posting in verbal section inasmuch the title of the post must be the first phrase of the question, itself

Back to your question: you need to find an answer that not weaken or strengthen the stimulus.i.e. a choice that DOES NOT show some relation to the side effects.

Only d shows this: how is cured the diarrhea does not affect the argument at stake. SO D is the correct answer.

Side note: this kind of question EXCEPT could be really confusing due to the nature that you must find an answer out of scope whereas in general the out of scope answers are the first you eliminate from the ball park

Hope this helps

regards

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 17

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 12

Several inexpensive new vaccines have recently been developed that may [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Oct 2015, 13:55
oloman wrote:
Several inexpensive new vaccines have recently been developed that may help eliminate malaria, a disease that is believed to kill more than 2 million people worldwide each year. All of these vaccines, however, can sometimes produce acute, albeit short-lived and rarely fatal, side effects, the most unpleasant of which are intense diarrhea and severe skin reactions. Countries with the highest incidence of malaria should begin implementing as soon as possible a vaccination program using the vaccine that has shown the lowest incidence of severe skin reactions as a side effect.

Each of the following, if true, gives support to the recommendation above, EXCEPT:

a)The severe skin reactions caused by the new vaccines are rated as slightly more unpleasant by those who have experienced them as compared to the intense diarrhea.
c)The diarrhea that is a side effect of these vaccines is no more life threatening than the skin reactions that are a side effect of these vaccines.
d)In treating patients with intense diarrhea as a side effect of one these vaccines, it is sometimes necessary to resort to I.V. hydration.
d)All of the recently developed new vaccines have shown the same incidence of intense diarrhea as a side effect.

best
Oloman

Hi,
We have to check the options that do not support the argument main point / conclusion.
The argument talks about vaccine and argues that country should start implementing the vaccine that shows lowest incidence of sever skin reactions as a side effect. Hence we have to choose an option that does not support above written line.

Option B supports the claim that country should start implementing the vaccine that shows lowest incidence of sever skin reactions. If all the new vaccines costs the same cost per does then why the country will not choose the vaccine that fight for sever skin reactions, which has the most unpleasant side effects. Hence its supporting the claim and could not be the answer.
Option C states diarrhea has no more life threatening than the skin reactions. And par the argument, it shows there are two most unpleasant side effects 1) diarrhea 2) severe skin reactions. And diarrhea is not much life threatening than the skin reactions then why not the country will start implementing the vaccine that reduces the severe skin reactions. Hence its supporting the argument. Thus, this option can not be the answer.

Hoped this helped you...

+1 kudos if it helped you

Thanks & Regards,
Vikash Alex
(Do like the below link on FB and join us in contributing towards education to under-privilege children.)
https://www.facebook.com/svect

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 12

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 7 [1], given: 45

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 18 Sep 2017, 14:59
This post received
KUDOS
I am not getting..

I find B , C and D all three not supporting a statement. Can anyone please explain.

If answer choice doesn't impact the conclusion, will it count as a contender for correct answer choice?

Kudos [?]: 7 [1], given: 45

Re: Several inexpensive new vaccines have recently been developed that may   [#permalink] 18 Sep 2017, 14:59

Several inexpensive new vaccines have recently been developed that may

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap