Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 00:19 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 00:19

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Schools:F2010 - HBS (R1 - denied w/o interview ), INSEAD (R1 - admitted), Wharton (R1 - waitlisted & ding), Ivey (R2 - admitted w/ 60% tuition)
 Q47  V40 GMAT 2: 710  Q45  V42
GPA: 3.8
WE 1: 3.5yrs as a Strategy Consultant - Big 4
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 350 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Schools:Chicago Booth '11
 Q50  V38
Send PM
Current Student
Schools:F2010 - HBS (R1 - denied w/o interview ), INSEAD (R1 - admitted), Wharton (R1 - waitlisted & ding), Ivey (R2 - admitted w/ 60% tuition)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Schools:Kellogg '10
 Q46  V47
Send PM
Re: Shelving plans for this year [#permalink]
Seems like a reasonable decision. I think you will benefit from the opportunity to prepare more thoroughly.

Plus, maybe next year's application volume won't be as crazy as is expected this year!

Good luck!
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
sm332 wrote:
After much deliberation I have decided to shelve my application plans for this year. For a wide variety of reasons I wasnt sold on the prospects of applying this year. Given my inability to create a good shortlist and the lack of clarity in my mind I thought it best to start addressing this in 9 months time. That will also make it a do or die cycle for me which in some respects may lead to better applications from me.

I wanted to thank all the active voices in this forum who have been of great assistance in my efforts.

I will continue to particpate here albeit not as frequently as before.

Best of luck to all candidates for the upcoming year.

sm332,

I applied to one school last year (d w/o i) and realized a year's wait and more research might do me some good. Depending on your age, this might be a good move for you. Good luck!
Current Student
Send PM
I am 25 so age aside from places like Harvard (which isnt a target school) should not be an issue :)

kidderek wrote:
sm332 wrote:
After much deliberation I have decided to shelve my application plans for this year. For a wide variety of reasons I wasnt sold on the prospects of applying this year. Given my inability to create a good shortlist and the lack of clarity in my mind I thought it best to start addressing this in 9 months time. That will also make it a do or die cycle for me which in some respects may lead to better applications from me.

I wanted to thank all the active voices in this forum who have been of great assistance in my efforts.

I will continue to particpate here albeit not as frequently as before.

Best of luck to all candidates for the upcoming year.

sm332,

I applied to one school last year (d w/o i) and realized a year's wait and more research might do me some good. Depending on your age, this might be a good move for you. Good luck!
SVP
SVP
Send PM
sm332 wrote:
I am 25 so age aside from places like Harvard (which isnt a target school) should not be an issue :)

25? What are you doing? Go get drunk every night. Just make sure to wake up in time to make it to work. haha
Current Student
Send PM
LOL - lets call it a mature 25 then ... teetotaller, married .... so the drunkard is not something I can afford to be.

kidderek wrote:
sm332 wrote:

25? What are you doing? Go get drunk every night. Just make sure to wake up in time to make it to work. haha
SVP
SVP
Send PM
I had to look up "teetotaller." I may have a problem. :oops:
Current Student
Send PM
different strokes for different folks ... we call cant be the same. :lol:

kidderek wrote:
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Schools:HBS, Stanford.
Send PM
sm332 wrote:

I agree that the 1 or 2 applications would not have been a shabby idea especially to re-applicant friendly places like Wharton and Columbia.

I have also heard that some schools (such as Wharton) are re-applicant friendly while others (such as Harvard) are not.

Are these just rumors, or are they based on some article/evidence that I haven't seen?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: General Management
Schools:NYU Stern '11
Either you're ready for an MBA or you're not. It's a smart move on your part to have thought about this before launching into the madness that is the applications cycle.
Don't apply thinking that even if you get dinged this year, then at least it will be easier to get accepted next year as a reapplicant.
Current Student
Send PM
I think this is based on anecdotal evidence more than anything else. There might be others who might be able to offer some hard evidence on this.

Some of this can also be gauged by the level of feedback offered by the various schools to those who got dinged. Some programs are very happy to share their concerns (Wharton ,Columbia, et al) whereas others not so much (Harvard, Stanford)

Others - please feel free to expand on this

PatrickBateman wrote:
sm332 wrote:

I agree that the 1 or 2 applications would not have been a shabby idea especially to re-applicant friendly places like Wharton and Columbia.

I have also heard that some schools (such as Wharton) are re-applicant friendly while others (such as Harvard) are not.

Are these just rumors, or are they based on some article/evidence that I haven't seen?
Current Student
Send PM
I think there is certainly a lot to be learned from going through the process but it just doesnt seem smart to apply knowing/expecting to get dinged. This is too arduous a process to take lightly and hence I am not sure one should ever apply just for the sake of getting experience.

solaris1 wrote:
Either you're ready for an MBA or not. It's a smart move on your part to have thought about this before launching into the madness that is the applications cycle.
Don't apply thinking that even if you get dinged this year, then at least it will be easier to get accepted next year as a reapplicant.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
kidderek wrote:

Me too.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Concentration: Consulting
 Q49  V42
Send PM
rhyme wrote:
kidderek wrote:

Me too.

Me three... not a very common word I guess?
Current Student
Send PM
hah ... see you all learnt a new word today :lol:

I think this word is very british and not often heard in NA.

I have had several people ask me what it means both in the US and Canada.

sam77sam7 wrote:
rhyme wrote:
kidderek wrote:

Me too.

Me three... not a very common word I guess?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 699 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
me four... I didn't even think that was a word until kidderek looked it up. :P I guess I'm a teetotaller too.

Anyway, I think Berkeley is pretty friendly towards re-applicants. Stanford probably not.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 138 [0]
Schools:Duke 2012
Send PM
kryzak wrote:
me four... I didn't even think that was a word until kidderek looked it up. :P I guess I'm a teetotaller too.

Anyway, I think Berkeley is pretty friendly towards re-applicants. Stanford probably not.

Me too. This is what I'm going to tell people from now on when they ask why I'm not drinking. If I make it seem like they should know what that means they'll feel too silly to say anything more about it.
Current Student
Send PM
Yeah I use it all the time sometimes to the desired effect of ending the why not, but one wont hurt, etc, etc

highhopes wrote:
kryzak wrote:

Me too. This is what I'm going to tell people from now on when they ask why I'm not drinking. If I make it seem like they should know what that means they'll feel too silly to say anything more about it.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2