GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 06 Dec 2019, 15:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

shifting from profit to non-profit just before submitting the app

new topic post reply Update application status  
Manager
Manager
B
WE: Operations (Commercial Banking)
shifting from profit to non-profit just before submitting the app  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Nov 2019, 16:38
Hello Everyone!

I am from India. I have been working for a fortune 100 company for almost 4 years, 2 promotions so far. My aim is to get into one of the top MBA programs, post MBA goal is Management/ Strategy consulting. Right now I am in the middle of my GMAT journey.

Outside work, I am extremely passionate and sensitive about Animal Welfare. I do have an option of joining WWF India as a Program Officer. Should I go for it ? Will joining a new company just before the whole B-School application process negatively affect my profile considering that my post MBA goal is to get into Management/strategy consulting??

PS : My current job isn't even slightly related to management consulting/ strategy consulting.
HEC & IMD School Moderator
G
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: HEC, IMD '22
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: shifting from profit to non-profit just before submitting the app  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Nov 2019, 23:51
INSEADIESE wrote:
Hello Everyone!

I am from India. I have been working for a fortune 100 company for almost 4 years, 2 promotions so far. My aim is to get into one of the top MBA programs, post MBA goal is Management/ Strategy consulting. Right now I am in the middle of my GMAT journey.

Outside work, I am extremely passionate and sensitive about Animal Welfare. I do have an option of joining WWF India as a Program Officer. Should I go for it ? Will joining a new company just before the whole B-School application process negatively affect my profile considering that my post MBA goal is to get into Management/strategy consulting??

PS : My current job isn't even slightly related to management consulting/ strategy consulting.

Hi,
When you are planning to get into a different industry/function, you must present a story of how you are going to do it? What are the things that make you passionate about consulting. Do you know anybody who did what you want to do? Also, there will be other things to take care.

The passion towards Non-profit and then future goal in consulting will not present a clear story. However, you can put them in priority list. As your current role is in neither of them, there would be no harm in taking up WWF job. This will help you as a back up plan that you will continue your job in case you don't get an admit this year. If the application time is very near and you are sure that you will get an admit, then you can avoid this job.
Experts - Bunuel | Chetan2u | GMATNinja | nightblade354 | SajjadAhmad | gmatbusters
Useful forums All you need for Quant | Quant Megathread
Beginners - (SC | CR | RC) | Megathreads - (SC Megathread | CR Megathread | RC Megathread)
Director
Director
G
Re: shifting from profit to non-profit just before submitting the app  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Nov 2019, 20:17
INSEADIESE, at a high level, the change isn't likely to be a good strategy.

It would help to get a better sense on the nature of your firm - consulting attracts folks from a wide variety of backgrounds so you never know what is 'related' frankly.

Instead of a full-time gig, see how best you can get associated with that passion on a part-time/volunteer basis. That'll usually help you present the profile in the best possible manner.

Feel free to share more.

Cheers,

Watch these MBA Videos
GMAT Club Bot
Re: shifting from profit to non-profit just before submitting the app   [#permalink] 17 Nov 2019, 20:17

shifting from profit to non-profit just before submitting the app

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: DigitsnLetters