It is currently 21 Feb 2018, 15:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Should I do a master's to offset a low undergrad gpa?

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
Should I do a master's to offset a low undergrad gpa? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jan 2018, 01:25
I have a meagre undergrad gpa of 2.6 (civil engg) from a top 10 uni in my country and want to offset it by possibly doing a master's for the next 2 years while also getting work experience. The degree in itself isn't too difficult to get with good grades (ms in engg. management) and I'm sure I'll do much better on it than I did on my undergrad. My question Is, is this is a good way to show academic improvement or will this raise questions with the adcoms as to why I want to get an mba after this degree and how it aligns with my goals. If not, is there an easier/more favorable approach to reducing the effect of your low undergrad gpa (like some online certification/coursework that is recognised by b schools)
For arguments sake, assume my GMAT is 720+, WE will be ~50 months at time of matriculation and extra curriculars are great.
Admission Consultant
S
Affiliations: IvyLeagueEdge
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Schools: Yale (A)
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V44
WE: Operations (Other)
Re: Should I do a master's to offset a low undergrad gpa? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jan 2018, 01:49
owabbasi wrote:
I have a meagre undergrad gpa of 2.6 (civil engg) from a top 10 uni in my country and want to offset it by possibly doing a master's for the next 2 years while also getting work experience. The degree in itself isn't too difficult to get with good grades (ms in engg. management) and I'm sure I'll do much better on it than I did on my undergrad. My question Is, is this is a good way to show academic improvement or will this raise questions with the adcoms as to why I want to get an mba after this degree and how it aligns with my goals. If not, is there an easier/more favorable approach to reducing the effect of your low undergrad gpa.
For arguments sake, assume my GMAT is 720+, WE will be ~50 months at time of matriculation and extra curriculars are great.

Dude,
You want to dedicate TWO years to doing an MS so that the grade component of your GPA improves, so that the admissions chances to better schools improve so that....

Why don't you just give more time to doing good Volunteer work, getting a higher GMAT and improving achievements at your Work? They will help you much better, in life, as well as in you admissions (in case you still want it).

1) Don't ever lose sight of the fact, that B-School is ONE of the MEANS, NOT the end of your career career goals.
2) Always better to improve your core (track record of achievements and overall personality) rather than trying to undo your past.

If you found my post helpful, kindly press "+1 Kudos" to appreciate :-)
Interviewing soon? Connect for Unlimited Mock Interviews at your convenience, and preparation with Interview Questions.

Out of India? Add me to your Aim/GChat account and talk for FREE over the internet
Applying for Fall 2019? PM me your resume for a FREE detailed profile evaluation.

The Ivy League Edge (MBA - Yale SOM)
Linkedin: http://www.linkedin.com/in/balkrishna/
Top20.GradSchools(at)gmail(dot)com +91-987-356-3953

Coaching success for admissions and scholarships to the World's best - MBA and MS
We take PERSONAL interest in your success.

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 12 Jan 2018, 02:25
TheIvyLeagueEdge wrote:
Dude,
You want to dedicate TWO years to doing an MS so that the grade component of your GPA improves, so that the admissions chances to better schools improve so that....

Why don't you just give more time to doing good Volunteer work, getting a higher GMAT and improving achievements at your Work? They will help you much better, in life, as well as in you admissions (in case you still want it).

1) Don't ever lose sight of the fact, that B-School is ONE of the MEANS, NOT the end of your career career goals.
2) Always better to improve your core (track record of achievements and overall personality) rather than trying to undo your past.

I'm sorry I forgot the menation the masters program is weekend only so I will be working during that period. My ECs include innovative volunteer work
Expert Post
Admissionado
G
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School

Show Tags

New post 14 Jan 2018, 03:10
owabbasi wrote:
I have a meagre undergrad gpa of 2.6 (civil engg) from a top 10 uni in my country and want to offset it by possibly doing a master's for the next 2 years while also getting work experience. The degree in itself isn't too difficult to get with good grades (ms in engg. management) and I'm sure I'll do much better on it than I did on my undergrad. My question Is, is this is a good way to show academic improvement or will this raise questions with the adcoms as to why I want to get an mba after this degree and how it aligns with my goals. If not, is there an easier/more favorable approach to reducing the effect of your low undergrad gpa (like some online certification/coursework that is recognised by b schools)

Well the two ways to work it are really:
1. a Great GMAT
2. A good logical story for why your grades are low
And then, well, it won;t make your GPA higher, but it will help you overcome.

Best,

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado | Packages | Success Stories | Team

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
G

Show Tags

New post 19 Jan 2018, 15:33
I don't subscribe in doing things that don't align with your career goals for the sake of b-school applications. I would spend that time focusing on really blowing the GMAT out of the water. So if you're thinking 720 aim even higher and spend that time dedicated to achieving a REALLY high score on the GMAT. That will have the greatest impact on your profile. Also, consider taking a few additional b-school ready coursework like accounting, finance, stats, econ, etc. Get A's in these classes so the school knows you recognize your GPA as a potential issue.

Also...what happened with your GPA? Why so low?

Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews

Expert Post
Experts' Global Representative
B

Show Tags

New post 05 Feb 2018, 23:23
owabbasi wrote:

Hi owabbasi,

We are a bit delayed in responding to you but hope this helps.

Pursuing a Master's to offset your low GPA is not a wise decision. Instead, you must utilize this time in preparing yourself to achieve a high GMAT score, focus on getting some leadership experience at work, and strengthen your involvement with extra-curricular activities even more :) Most schools will provide you with the option of submitting an Optional Essay and you can always speak about your low GPA there, as well as mention how you have learnt from mistakes and grown as an individual since then. Moreover, you must also focus on preparing a set of essays, wherein your goals are in strong alignment with your academic and professional experience and your achievements are clearly highlighted.

In short, A Master's at this point may complicate your profile and is not recommended if it does not go with your overall trajectory.

All the best! :)

Akanksha Baldawa
Experts' Global
Students from 20+ nationalities
Every 10th Indian in US top 50 is our student!
$ 2Mn+ Scholarship Each Year Since 2010!
GMAT Prep | GMAT Practice Tests
MBA Admissions Consulting | MBA Interview Preparation

Re: Should I do a master's to offset a low undergrad gpa?   [#permalink] 05 Feb 2018, 23:23

Should I do a master's to offset a low undergrad gpa?

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: Hatakekakashi

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap