It is currently 10 Dec 2017, 17:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Should I postpone my application to INSEAD because of the GMAT?

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Should I postpone my application to INSEAD because of the GMAT? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 May 2015, 10:46
Dear All,
this is my first post on GMAT Club. I've been working with this tool for a few days... THis is impressive!

Before asking my question, here is my profile:
- French, 26
- Top French B-School (Master in Finance and Strategy)
- 48 months of Working Exp in Jan 2016 (expected intake)
- Current role: Associate in a private equity fund (joined as an analyst in Jan 2012)
- IELTS: 7.5
- International experience: one year working in London, and working on pan-european deal opportunities (Paris based with regular business trips in Europe)

My question: I sarted working on the GMAT one month ago. Verbal was from the beginnig pretty good (between 34 and 38 over this month - 5 CATs practice tests). QUant is more challenging for me: from 36 in the first tests to 42/44/46 (once) more recently (All tests are MGMAT and GMAT Prep).
I feel more like a psychological barrier since I mostly understand many of the problems etc. This is very frustrating!

My test is next week and I have doubts on my ability to reach a 48/49 in Quant, which would be a good min for INSEAD.
I'm wondering whether I should apply with a good Verbal and slightly below average in Quant.
What do you think?
(By the way, if you have a solution for me to reach the required level in one week.. feel free :) )

Many thanks for your input...

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 35

Re: Should I postpone my application to INSEAD because of the GMAT? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 May 2015, 11:56
BenyB wrote:
Dear All,
this is my first post on GMAT Club. I've been working with this tool for a few days... THis is impressive!

Before asking my question, here is my profile:
- French, 26
- Top French B-School (Master in Finance and Strategy)
- 48 months of Working Exp in Jan 2016 (expected intake)
- Current role: Associate in a private equity fund (joined as an analyst in Jan 2012)
- IELTS: 7.5
- International experience: one year working in London, and working on pan-european deal opportunities (Paris based with regular business trips in Europe)

My question: I sarted working on the GMAT one month ago. Verbal was from the beginnig pretty good (between 34 and 38 over this month - 5 CATs practice tests). QUant is more challenging for me: from 36 in the first tests to 42/44/46 (once) more recently (All tests are MGMAT and GMAT Prep).
I feel more like a psychological barrier since I mostly understand many of the problems etc. This is very frustrating!

My test is next week and I have doubts on my ability to reach a 48/49 in Quant, which would be a good min for INSEAD.
I'm wondering whether I should apply with a good Verbal and slightly below average in Quant.
What do you think?
(By the way, if you have a solution for me to reach the required level in one week.. feel free :) )

Many thanks for your input...

You have a good profile and depending on what your post-MBA goal is, the quant might have an impact on the chances of getting accepted. If you aim for Consulting a low quant will make you uncompetitive.
In a nutshell, if not aiming for Consulting then apply anyway regardless of quant.

What you can do in a week...
Not much really but here are my 2 cents...
-Make sure that the sections before Quant in the GMAT are effortless. When you finish the GMAT you should feel like you could go and work for a full day or run a marathon. If you are feeling exhausted at the end is probably because you haven't given yourself enough time to get used to the exam.
-Grab the Manhattan Advanced GMAT Quant, go to the last chapter (workout sets) and do them all (150 exercises). Time yourself and make sure that you are as fast as you should be on the exam. Do them all once and check which ones you did wrong. Create a separate list of the wrong ones and repeat (timing yourself). Repeat this as many times as you need in order to keep your failure rate low while staying on time. Create simple rules to know whether you are lagging or on track during the exam, such as: 60mins left Ex7; 45m Ex14; 30m Ex22; 15m Ex30. While practice an exam see if you can quickly tell at any point in time during the Quant whether you are on track or lagging. If you are consuming to much time to deduce this then only remember the 60min and 15min rules. Go slower than average at the beginning and at the end. If you feel like you don't have enough time while practising an exam is probably because you are spending too much time on the Data Sufficiency questions. You need to be ruthless when doing these exercises, forget about the elegant answers that your Finance Professor loved so much during your undergrad or masters. It is likely that you will have to guess at least 1 exercise. Rule of thumb is: in the middle of the exam for every exercise you do wrong you need to do the next two right to get back to the "hypothetical" score you are having.

Good luck

Fugazi, fugazi

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 35

Intern
Intern

Re: Should I postpone my application to INSEAD because of the GMAT? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 May 2015, 14:34
Thank you for your prompt response!
I look forward to joining a PE fund - that may have a slightly different investing strategy and if possible in Singhapore or in london .
I will take the exam and see after if I postpone... Everything else is ready!

Re: Should I postpone my application to INSEAD because of the GMAT?   [#permalink] 31 May 2015, 14:34

Should I postpone my application to INSEAD because of the GMAT?

new topic post reply Update application status  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap