It is currently 17 Jan 2018, 06:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Should I retake? 640 -> 620 -> 710 (ESRs attached)

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 56

Should I retake? 640 -> 620 -> 710 (ESRs attached) [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Nov 2017, 06:32
Hi All,

I would like to query the GMATClub community and its experts about whether I should retake the GMAT. I have attached my enhanced score reports from each test and provided a brief summary of my prep below, with each segment representing the time before each test. Thank you in advance for your time and opinions.

GMAT 1 (Cancelled) - 5/2/17 - 640 ( 47 Q / 31 V )

Background:
-This was the first time I took the GMAT
-I studied for 5 months before taking the test.

Prep:
-I took Manhattan's in-person class, which started in January 2017. The class was useful, but I felt it wasn't enough to propel me over 700.
-I also signed up for Magoosh's online software and had completed most of the video lessons and questions prior to test day.

Pre-Test Performance:
-I took a lot of practice exams and my scores ranged from low- to high-600s on the various platforms, such as Manhattan and GMATPrep.
-My quant and verbal splits were low-40s and high-30s, on average.
-Timing was a big issue for me prior to this test, especially on verbal.

Test Day:
-My anxiety was through the roof.
-Choosing order was not an option at this point in time.
-I panicked and crashed during the last half of the verbal section, and had to guess on 3-4 questions at the end and left the last question blank.
-I was surprised with my quant score, but disappointed with my verbal score, which was 7-8 points below where I had been testing.

GMAT 2 (Cancelled) - 9/11/17 - 620 ( 36 Q / 38 V )

Background:
-This was the second time I took the GMAT exam.
-I took a month off after my first exam, and studied for 2-3 months for exam #2

Prep:
-I was determined to improve my verbal performance and spent much of my prep time doing so.
-Most of my prep was from OG problems and from Manhattan.

Pre-Test Performance:
-I did not make many gains on my overall score during this period of time.
-Quant was hovering around the same mark, but verbal was more consistent, scoring in the high-30s.
-Timing was still an issue for me, especially on verbal.

Test Day:
-Order: Quant / Verbal / IR / AWA
-My test was scheduled to begin at 8AM- big mistake- and I was not awake and in test-mode before I started quant.
-Holy $h*t quant! I started slow, my average time per question for the first quant set was nearly 3 minutes. I finished the section, but most likely had to guess on a couple at the end.
-This was a demoralizing experience.

GMAT 3 (Submitted) - 11/14/17 - 710 ( 47 Q / 41 V )

Background:
-My goal at the beginning of this process was to score over 700. My goal score started to drift upward as I got closer to my test date.

Prep:
-I shifted most of my time to GMATClub and will say that this forum was by far the best resource I came across to date- so thank you all
-I also was able to improve SC accuracy by taking a step back and focusing most of my time on the original sentence, and meaning, as opposed to furiously deciphering splits, which usually ended up confusing me.
-I took 17 GMATClub Quant tests and scored between 33-49, with an average score of 41.
-I started keeping an error log, which really helped me to identify my weaknesses on the quant side.
-I did not spend enough time on critical reasoning, which is my glaring weakness.

Pre-Test Performance:
-By this time I had taken a plethora of GMAT tests and was now in Exam Pack 2 of GMATPrep.
-I was consistently scoring between 710-750 on my GMATPrep tests
-Quant was consistently between 48-50 and verbal was in the low 40s.

Test Day:
-I arrived late to the test center- TRAFFIC!- and was not in the best state of mind when I started the test; however, I felt relatively relaxed given the circumstances.
-Quant timing was good, I was almost ahead at one point, but had to rush on the last two questions.
-I'm surprised with my performance on the last section of quant. I'm not sure if it was the difficulty level or if I had to rush a little because I fell behind.
-Verbal was tough, way tougher than before. I heard that verbal was more difficult now, but this could be because I was seeing more complex questions.
-Verbal timing was poor. I was running about 5 minutes behind until the 3rd set of questions. This is a problem I have always had with verbal. I always fall behind. I think my SC timing, which is around 1:45 on average, really slows me down.
-I skipped 2-3 questions, two of which were CR.

So, I'm interested in a couple of things:

-Do you think I should retake the test? I have mixed feelings with my last exam score. I think I could get to a 49 on quant, if I played my cards right. CR is my main weakness on verbal, I'm not sure how easily it would be to improve here, but I'd like to think I could if I paid closer attention to it. I'm also slightly burnt out from this whole thing and would like to apply to round 2 this year, so early January deadlines.

-Do you think I should re-instate my scores from exam 1, exam 2, or both? I have heard that programs like to see score progression.

-If you recommend that I retake the exam, do you have any recommendations on how to improve CR (e.g., GMAT programs beyond Manhattan and Magoosh, a debrief of what worked for you / what you did to finally make it click)

Thanks again for your time and best of luck to you all!

R
Attachments

ESR 3_v2.pdf [2.29 MiB]
Downloaded 12 times

To download please login or register as a user

ESR 2_v2.pdf [2.3 MiB]
Downloaded 4 times

ESR 1_v2.pdf [2.32 MiB]
Downloaded 7 times

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 56

Magoosh Discount CodesOptimus Prep Discount CodesEMPOWERgmat Discount Codes
Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
G

Kudos [?]: 18461 [0], given: 237

Re: Should I retake? 640 -> 620 -> 710 (ESRs attached) [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Nov 2017, 21:25
Raffio wrote:
Hi All,

I would like to query the GMATClub community and its experts about whether I should retake the GMAT. I have attached my enhanced score reports from each test and provided a brief summary of my prep below, with each segment representing the time before each test. Thank you in advance for your time and opinions.

GMAT 1 (Cancelled) - 5/2/17 - 640 ( 47 Q / 31 V )

Background:
-This was the first time I took the GMAT
-I studied for 5 months before taking the test.

Prep:
-I took Manhattan's in-person class, which started in January 2017. The class was useful, but I felt it wasn't enough to propel me over 700.
-I also signed up for Magoosh's online software and had completed most of the video lessons and questions prior to test day.

Pre-Test Performance:
-I took a lot of practice exams and my scores ranged from low- to high-600s on the various platforms, such as Manhattan and GMATPrep.
-My quant and verbal splits were low-40s and high-30s, on average.
-Timing was a big issue for me prior to this test, especially on verbal.

Test Day:
-My anxiety was through the roof.
-Choosing order was not an option at this point in time.
-I panicked and crashed during the last half of the verbal section, and had to guess on 3-4 questions at the end and left the last question blank.
-I was surprised with my quant score, but disappointed with my verbal score, which was 7-8 points below where I had been testing.

GMAT 2 (Cancelled) - 9/11/17 - 620 ( 36 Q / 38 V )

Background:
-This was the second time I took the GMAT exam.
-I took a month off after my first exam, and studied for 2-3 months for exam #2

Prep:
-I was determined to improve my verbal performance and spent much of my prep time doing so.
-Most of my prep was from OG problems and from Manhattan.

Pre-Test Performance:
-I did not make many gains on my overall score during this period of time.
-Quant was hovering around the same mark, but verbal was more consistent, scoring in the high-30s.
-Timing was still an issue for me, especially on verbal.

Test Day:
-Order: Quant / Verbal / IR / AWA
-My test was scheduled to begin at 8AM- big mistake- and I was not awake and in test-mode before I started quant.
-Holy $h*t quant! I started slow, my average time per question for the first quant set was nearly 3 minutes. I finished the section, but most likely had to guess on a couple at the end.
-This was a demoralizing experience.

GMAT 3 (Submitted) - 11/14/17 - 710 ( 47 Q / 41 V )

Background:
-My goal at the beginning of this process was to score over 700. My goal score started to drift upward as I got closer to my test date.

Prep:
-I shifted most of my time to GMATClub and will say that this forum was by far the best resource I came across to date- so thank you all
-I also was able to improve SC accuracy by taking a step back and focusing most of my time on the original sentence, and meaning, as opposed to furiously deciphering splits, which usually ended up confusing me.
-I took 17 GMATClub Quant tests and scored between 33-49, with an average score of 41.
-I started keeping an error log, which really helped me to identify my weaknesses on the quant side.
-I did not spend enough time on critical reasoning, which is my glaring weakness.

Pre-Test Performance:
-By this time I had taken a plethora of GMAT tests and was now in Exam Pack 2 of GMATPrep.
-I was consistently scoring between 710-750 on my GMATPrep tests
-Quant was consistently between 48-50 and verbal was in the low 40s.

Test Day:
-I arrived late to the test center- TRAFFIC!- and was not in the best state of mind when I started the test; however, I felt relatively relaxed given the circumstances.
-Quant timing was good, I was almost ahead at one point, but had to rush on the last two questions.
-I'm surprised with my performance on the last section of quant. I'm not sure if it was the difficulty level or if I had to rush a little because I fell behind.
-Verbal was tough, way tougher than before. I heard that verbal was more difficult now, but this could be because I was seeing more complex questions.
-Verbal timing was poor. I was running about 5 minutes behind until the 3rd set of questions. This is a problem I have always had with verbal. I always fall behind. I think my SC timing, which is around 1:45 on average, really slows me down.
-I skipped 2-3 questions, two of which were CR.

So, I'm interested in a couple of things:

-Do you think I should retake the test? I have mixed feelings with my last exam score. I think I could get to a 49 on quant, if I played my cards right. CR is my main weakness on verbal, I'm not sure how easily it would be to improve here, but I'd like to think I could if I paid closer attention to it. I'm also slightly burnt out from this whole thing and would like to apply to round 2 this year, so early January deadlines.

-Do you think I should re-instate my scores from exam 1, exam 2, or both? I have heard that programs like to see score progression.

-If you recommend that I retake the exam, do you have any recommendations on how to improve CR (e.g., GMAT programs beyond Manhattan and Magoosh, a debrief of what worked for you / what you did to finally make it click)

Thanks again for your time and best of luck to you all!

R

A retake is not required. 710 with the split you have is quite respectable. But if you are targeting the top 5, a 30-40 point improvement could do some good (in Quant, another 2 points are desirable). No point reinstating the old scores.
Get a free profile evaluation from our experts here: https://www.veritasprep.com/business-school/

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Get started with Veritas Prep GMAT On Demand for $199

Veritas Prep Reviews

Kudos [?]: 18461 [0], given: 237

Re: Should I retake? 640 -> 620 -> 710 (ESRs attached)   [#permalink] 23 Nov 2017, 21:25

Should I retake? 640 -> 620 -> 710 (ESRs attached)

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap