GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 14 Nov 2018, 07:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • $450 Tuition Credit & Official CAT Packs FREE

November 15, 2018

November 15, 2018

10:00 PM MST

11:00 PM MST

EMPOWERgmat is giving away the complete Official GMAT Exam Pack collection worth $100 with the 3 Month Pack ($299)
  • Free GMAT Strategy Webinar

November 17, 2018

November 17, 2018

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Nov. 17, 7 AM PST. Aiming to score 760+? Attend this FREE session to learn how to Define your GMAT Strategy, Create your Study Plan and Master the Core Skills to excel on the GMAT.

Should I Retake - 740; Q 46; V 47

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Should I Retake - 740; Q 46; V 47  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Sep 2018, 14:04
Hi all,

I've been lurking on this forum and have seen a ton of similar posts, so I'm sorry for rehashing an old topic, but I have some concerns about my GMAT score. I need some advice as to what I should do.

I got a 740 overall; 46q and 47v; IR of 6; I haven't received my AWA score yet, but I'm guessing it will be fine (I've never scored below a 5.5 in my practice tests). Overall I'm fairly happy, but I'm really worried about my quant score. My unofficial scores say a 46 is only in the 58th percentile, which I think is *really* subpar. I definitely struggled during the section; I spent a lot of time on questions that stumped me, and when I reached the end I had to answer a ton of questions in a really short span of time (the last few questions I even had to just select a random answer without reading the question).

I plan on applying to M7 schools. Do you think my Q score will be a big red flag? Clearly I didn't budget my time well this time around, but would it be worth retaking the test completely to try and boost my Q score?

I know the GMAT is only one factor among many, so here is some other pertinent info:
- I graduated from a top liberal arts school (think Williams/Amherst) with a 4.0 and a double major in economics and history
- I work for a tier 2 consulting firm (think Parthenon/LEK/OW) - I'm only a first year (I took the GMAT sooner rather than later), so that may change
- White male from New England so I know that's not very distinctive!

Thank you so much for any help!
SVP
SVP
V
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Re: Should I Retake - 740; Q 46; V 47  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Sep 2018, 19:11
cjb1109 wrote:
Hi all,

I've been lurking on this forum and have seen a ton of similar posts, so I'm sorry for rehashing an old topic, but I have some concerns about my GMAT score. I need some advice as to what I should do.

I got a 740 overall; 46q and 47v; IR of 6; I haven't received my AWA score yet, but I'm guessing it will be fine (I've never scored below a 5.5 in my practice tests). Overall I'm fairly happy, but I'm really worried about my quant score. My unofficial scores say a 46 is only in the 58th percentile, which I think is *really* subpar. I definitely struggled during the section; I spent a lot of time on questions that stumped me, and when I reached the end I had to answer a ton of questions in a really short span of time (the last few questions I even had to just select a random answer without reading the question).

I plan on applying to M7 schools. Do you think my Q score will be a big red flag? Clearly I didn't budget my time well this time around, but would it be worth retaking the test completely to try and boost my Q score?

I know the GMAT is only one factor among many, so here is some other pertinent info:
- I graduated from a top liberal arts school (think Williams/Amherst) with a 4.0 and a double major in economics and history
- I work for a tier 2 consulting firm (think Parthenon/LEK/OW) - I'm only a first year (I took the GMAT sooner rather than later), so that may change

740 is an excellent score. Well done!

1. A Q46 is not as bad as you might think. Most of the score inflation in the quant section is attributable to Asian (Chinese, Indian...) test takers and schools are aware of this. Read this article (skip to the section on quant) to understand more about how schools are likely to view your Q46.

2. While your Q46 won't sink your application, it could be a cause for concern and require you to show additional evidence of your quantitative skills in your application.

3. If I were you, I'd take the GMAT again if I could. Your V47 indicates a very high level of ability, one that I feel should carry over to your quant. Just keep in mind that any time you spend on the GMAT from here on is time that you could have spent doing other, more important things. Also, keep an eye on your timelines.

Schools are aware that students from all types of backgrounds, with varying scores, prove themselves capable of keeping up with the requirements of their course. So even if there is a cutoff for quant, 46 is probably not it.

All the best for your applications!

Ascore Prep | Live Online

EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 05 Sep 2018, 20:39
Hi cjb1109,

First off, a 740 is an outstanding score, so you can apply to any Schools that interest you. As such, a retest might not be necessary. A Q46 is a solid performance - it won't "impress" anyone (and if you're planning to apply to any highly-competitive Finance Programs, then those Admissions Committees would want you to score higher), but it won't lead to an automatic rejection either. You're ultimately asking Admissions questions though, so you would likely find it beneficial to speak with an Admissions Expert about your overall profile. There's a Forum full of those Experts here:

http://gmatclub.com/forum/ask-admission ... tants-124/

If you do choose to retest though, then we have to examine how you were studying for the Quant section before. Once you've decided on whether to retest or not, you should post back here (or you can PM me directly) and we can talk through your study options going forward.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

*****Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!*****

VP
VP
V
Concentration: International Business, Operations
GMAT 1: 480 Q38 V22
GPA: 3.01
WE: Engineering (Consulting)
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 06 Sep 2018, 23:24
cjb1109 wrote:
Hi all,

This link may help you :

https://gmatclub.com/forum/should-i-ret ... ml?fl=menu

"Do not watch clock; Do what it does. KEEP GOING."

Director
Director
V
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Should I Retake - 740; Q 46; V 47  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Sep 2018, 08:33
Hi cjb1109,

If you're not going to apply this year, then why not? You can get a notable overall score increase if you get q49. Refer to the attached chart.

Getting q49 is not that hard, it is more about timing:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-impro ... 41670.html

Hope this helps!
Attachments

gmatscore.gif
gmatscore.gif [ 68.88 KiB | Viewed 291 times ]

Non progredi est regredi

Target Test Prep Representative
P
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 07 Sep 2018, 15:27
HI cjb1109,

So, 740 is awesome! Nice job. Since you are applying to M7 schools, I understand your concern regarding your quant score. That being said, you should reach out to the many admissions consultants here on GMAT Club for some further advice.

If you end up retaking the GMAT, feel free to reach out to me directly, and I can provide some study advice.

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO

GMAT Quant Self-Study Course
500+ lessons 3000+ practice problems 800+ HD solutions

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Should I Retake - 740; Q 46; V 47 &nbs [#permalink] 07 Sep 2018, 15:27

Should I Retake - 740; Q 46; V 47

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap