Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 09:07 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 09:07

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Own Kudos [?]: 1424 [0]
Given Kudos: 570
Farrell Nelson: MBA
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Own Kudos [?]: 1424 [0]
Given Kudos: 570
Farrell Nelson: MBA
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Schools: CBS '13 (A)
Send PM
Re: Should I retake the GRE [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi there,

After taking the GRE 4 times, you probably have a good sense for how much upside you have left in your score. If you think there's still some room to budge, then I would encourage you to try for it. (You want to put your best foot forward, right?!) Although Columbia doesn't report GRE scores, we know what the average is at a few similar programs (namely 164V/162Q at Yale SOM) - so getting your quant score closer to that average could help you be more competitive. With that said, it's only one data point in a holistic application and it sounds like you have a pretty compelling background/story that will help offset some softer stats. Since you've already taken some additional coursework, I'm not sure if adding another course will necessarily be the best use of your time, to be honest. The HBX CORe program is quite rigorous and highly quantitatively oriented so I think you covered most of your bases with that. But of course, taking another class definitely can't hurt.

I know that answer wasn't quite black & white but unfortunately neither is this decision :) But I say go for the GRE re-take if you think there's a good chance of further improvement. Otherwise, you can take another course if you'd like, or shift your focus to the rest of the application. For Columbia, you'll have your best shot by taking advantage of rolling admissions and the early decision option (if it's your top choice school) - so apply early if you can!

Best of luck!

Kindly,
Melody
Personal MBA Coach Founder
Status:Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Wharton graduate - Helping applicants get into top global business schools since 2008
Affiliations: Wharton, MIT
Own Kudos [?]: 359 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Overall Client Admit Rate: 96%
Send PM
Expert Reply
Shotgun829 wrote:
Hey,

I am looking to apply to Columbia this summer. I Just finished my fourth iteration of the GRE. It was my highest score yet. I got in the 93rd percentile verbal (163) and 70th percentile quant (158). I majored in History at the military academy and had a 3.1 GPA. Spent 6 years in the army and had a stellar career. I just started working at one of the big 4 consulting firms. Showing I have the quantitative competence to succeed is what I am worried about.

The big question is: should I take the GRE again or take a finance course?

I've already taken an Econ course (I got an A) and HBX CORE.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Posted from my mobile device Image

Posted from my mobile device

As mentioned above, courses do help to offset lower points on your application. That said, doing better on a standardized test will go a long way so I recommend retaking that before just taking another course. If you don't end up raising it then the course will be good. In a perfect world you do both of course!

Good luck

Best,
Scott
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 340 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
The test - GMAT/GRE will have more impact than any course you can take. You've taken the GRE a bunch already so if you think you've peaked then it might be time to move on and in that case then a course might be the logical next step. Target quant courses like ACCT, ECON, STATS

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72867 [0]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Archived CBS Discussion
Hi there,
You've stumbled upon an old discussion from our CBS Forum that's now outdated and has been archived. No more replies are possible here.
Interested in current discussions? Feel free to dive into our dedicated CBS Forum for all fresh things related to the CBS MBA program.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts