GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Nov 2018, 08:08

LIVE NOW!

LBS is Calling R1 Admits - Join Chat Room to Catch the Latest Action

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • All GMAT Club Tests are Free and open on November 22nd in celebration of Thanksgiving Day!

November 22, 2018

November 22, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Mark your calendars - All GMAT Club Tests are free and open November 22nd to celebrate Thanksgiving Day! Access will be available from 0:01 AM to 11:59 PM, Pacific Time (USA)
  • Key Strategies to Master GMAT SC

November 24, 2018

November 24, 2018

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Attend this webinar to learn how to leverage Meaning and Logic to solve the most challenging Sentence Correction Questions.

Should I take the GMAT a fourth time?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Should I take the GMAT a fourth time?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2018, 12:11
I just took the GMAT for the third time this past week and did worse than expected. The second time I took it I got a 730 and felt like I still had some gas in the tank to try to raise my score. I spent about a month studying and was consistently hitting 760 on my GMATPrep practice tests (taken at the same time of day as my registered slot) and felt comfortable with most of the material.

I'm not sure what happened on test day. On the first question, that should have taken about 30 seconds to complete, I tripped up and ended up taking more than 2 minutes to complete it. That really hit my nerves since I usually started out strong on my practice tests. Eventually I was running more than 8 minutes behind and was getting tied up on questions that I shouldn't have had a problem with. At this point I was rushing and skipping questions I could solve, but didn't have time to. I think this poor performance also bled over into verbal since I was already on edge from quant and still thinking about it (even though I knew I needed to focus on what was in front of me).

1. I think with minimal work I can be ready to give the test another go (or two). Given the GMAC's cancellation policy is there any downside, from an admissions perspective, to attempting to take the GMAT 1 or even two more times?

I've heard (on these forums and elsewhere) that some schools ask how many times you've taken the GMAT and that has me worried.

2. If I should give it another go, do you guys have any tips for improving time management (since that seems to be what snowballed out of control) beyond timed sets and practice tests?

3. I'm currently planning to apply to a set of schools in R1 and a set of schools in R2, does it make sense to delay everything into R2 to get a better shot at going from a GMAT 730 to 750/760? I'm planning to apply to H/S/W + a couple of the other M7 as a 25/M/Mixed White/Asian applicant.

Here is my testing history. I purchased the extra exam packs to minimize getting the same questions in tests, but I did reset the tests for section specific testing not shown below(easier to fit a ~1 hour section in after work rather than the whole thing).

710 (Q46/V42) GMAT

720 (Q47/V42) GMATPrep Desktop
720 (Q49/V40) GMATPrep Desktop
730 (Q48/V42) GMATPrep Desktop
770 (Q49/V47) GMATPrep Desktop

730 (Q48/V42) GMAT

760 (Q50/V44) GMATPrep Online
760 (Q49/V46) GMATPrep Online
760 (Q50/V41) GMATPrep Online

710 (Q44/V) GMAT [CANCELLED] (I should have written it down, but I was so flustered coming out of the testing center that I forgot the verbal score)

I'd really appreciate any guidance you guys can provide.
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
P
Concentration: Finance
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Should I take the GMAT a fourth time?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2018, 22:47
jfallen12 wrote:
I just took the GMAT for the third time this past week and did worse than expected. The second time I took it I got a 730 and felt like I still had some gas in the tank to try to raise my score. I spent about a month studying and was consistently hitting 760 on my GMATPrep practice tests (taken at the same time of day as my registered slot) and felt comfortable with most of the material.

I'm not sure what happened on test day. On the first question, that should have taken about 30 seconds to complete, I tripped up and ended up taking more than 2 minutes to complete it. That really hit my nerves since I usually started out strong on my practice tests. Eventually I was running more than 8 minutes behind and was getting tied up on questions that I shouldn't have had a problem with. At this point I was rushing and skipping questions I could solve, but didn't have time to. I think this poor performance also bled over into verbal since I was already on edge from quant and still thinking about it (even though I knew I needed to focus on what was in front of me).

1. I think with minimal work I can be ready to give the test another go (or two). Given the GMAC's cancellation policy is there any downside, from an admissions perspective, to attempting to take the GMAT 1 or even two more times?

I've heard (on these forums and elsewhere) that some schools ask how many times you've taken the GMAT and that has me worried.

2. If I should give it another go, do you guys have any tips for improving time management (since that seems to be what snowballed out of control) beyond timed sets and practice tests?

3. I'm currently planning to apply to a set of schools in R1 and a set of schools in R2, does it make sense to delay everything into R2 to get a better shot at going from a GMAT 730 to 750/760? I'm planning to apply to H/S/W + a couple of the other M7 as a 25/M/Mixed White/Asian applicant.

Here is my testing history. I purchased the extra exam packs to minimize getting the same questions in tests, but I did reset the tests for section specific testing not shown below(easier to fit a ~1 hour section in after work rather than the whole thing).

710 (Q46/V42) GMAT

730 (Q48/V42) GMAT

710 (Q44/V) GMAT [CANCELLED] (I should have written it down, but I was so flustered coming out of the testing center that I forgot the verbal score)

Hi jfallen12

First of all 730 is a good score.

Actually very good score.

Here are some facts :

Harvard average GMAT 731

Stanford 737

Wharton 730

For other M7/top 10 that you are interested in, usually comes only lower :

Northwestern University (Kellogg) (IL) 732

University of Chicago (Booth) 730

Yale University (CT) 727

Columbia University (NY) 727

University of California—Berkeley (Haas) 725

Dartmouth College (Tuck) (NH) 722

Massachusetts Institute of Technology (Sloan) 722

These are latest figures from 2018. from respected US News :

https://www.usnews.com/education/best-g ... mat-scores

Now, schools don't have to ask you how many times did you took GMAT, they are going to see it anyways on report !

They can only ask you to disclose information/score about the ones you cancelled.

Meaning, the second time when you got 730 was probably good time to walk away.

I believe you can score even above 730, based on all your mocks and that you had only bad day last time.

However, nobody can guarantee that what happened last time wont happen again, or that you will score 730 again for instance.

I understand that you try to be most competitive as you can be, however you enter risk and reward game, where you will take risk for sure to impair your profile while reward is questionable, it may come it may not.

If you decide to pursue, regarding time management, you can try to solve questions in practice and mocks with less time than allowed.

I would apply in R1 with 730, that's more than good enough, as you can see above.

Keep in mind with average GMAT score above presented, that people got admitted with lower than that all time, meaning that GMAT is just one aspect, that serves as initial screening and you passed that test.

In practice that means, that higher score than that (730) will not get you admission per se and nobody, none school on earth, can or will reject you because of your current GMAT score.

In another words, if those schools you are aiming for, are going to accept you or not, is based on your overall profile, and you should focus on that now.

In terms on GMAT score you are already set.

Good luck whatever you decide :thumbup: :fingers_crossed:

Your kudos are much appreciated

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 09 Jul 2018, 23:03
Thanks for the feedback billionaire,

billionaire wrote:
Now, schools don't have to ask you how many times did you took GMAT, they are going to see it anyways on report !

They can only ask you to disclose information/score about the ones you cancelled.

My understanding was that, per the GMAC's 2015 policy change on cancellations, schools can no longer see cancelled exams on score reports. Am I misinterpreting this policy?
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
P
Concentration: Finance
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 11 Jul 2018, 10:11
jfallen12 wrote:
Thanks for the feedback billionaire,

billionaire wrote:

My understanding was that, per the GMAC's 2015 policy change on cancellations, schools can no longer see cancelled exams on score reports. Am I misinterpreting this policy?

Hello jfallen12

Yes, as per GMAC schools cannot see it anymore.

Recently I looked in copy of somebody's report where there was placed C few times for cancelled along with score.

However, as per GMAC you can still see it on your report, but schools will not see it, only your accepted scores.

Yes they can then ask you to disclose it, so they can compare more precisely and in more depth with somebody else.

That can be interpret as bad, for instance reaching same/similar score as competitor with more attempts, or good as proof of determination depending on particular ad com psychology.

Usually most competitive schools have inclination to perceive it as bad sign in direct comparisons and less competitive schools will find reason to praise it, as determination, grit etc. :)

This GMAC rule might just be justifiable reason for you to spend more $$$.

That was intent of GMAC and to match same policy of their competitor ETS/GRE , although those two test do not test the same skills.

I personally would not rule out good candidate with multiple attempts without hearing his story and reasons in interview, then again best schools have to many good candidates and applications so they need quick solutions for shorting the list, which would be purpose of initial screening and GMAT scores.

If they ask you to disclose it, you should definitely do it.

If you refuse it, you are out for them.

If they catch you in some lie, you are out.

Honesty is the best policy.

Be prepared to tell your story, if you decide to reattempt !

Your kudos are much appreciated

VP
VP
V
Concentration: International Business, Operations
GMAT 1: 480 Q38 V22
GPA: 3.01
WE: Engineering (Consulting)
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 13 Jul 2018, 08:19
jfallen12 wrote:

710 (Q46/V42) GMAT

730 (Q48/V42) GMAT

This link may help you : https://gmatclub.com/forum/should-i-ret ... ml?fl=menu

"Do not watch clock; Do what it does. KEEP GOING."

SVP
SVP
V
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2018, 00:19
jfallen12 wrote:

710 (Q46/V42) GMAT

730 (Q48/V42) GMAT

You already have a 730. As long as you are realistic about what you expect the additional 20-30 points to do for you, I don't think there is any downside to taking the GMAT a fourth time, at least from a score perspective.

Ascore Prep | Live Online

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2018, 01:23
jfallen12 wrote:

710 (Q46/V42) GMAT

730 (Q48/V42) GMAT

If you are looking to apply in R1 for the next cycle, then it would probably be better to focus on the application and essays. If not, then you could use the time to give it another shot.

+1 kudos if you find this useful
GMAT 1: 750 (Q50; V40; IR 8; AWA 5.5)
Debrief: https://gmatclub.com/forum/first-attempt-750-q50-v40-ir-8-awa-245721.html

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Should I take the GMAT a fourth time? &nbs [#permalink] 15 Jul 2018, 01:23

Should I take the GMAT a fourth time?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap