GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Oct 2018, 13:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Should I take the GMAT a fourth time?

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 19 Sep 2018
Posts: 1
Should I take the GMAT a fourth time?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Sep 2018, 21:41
I just took the GMAT for the third time this past week and did worse than expected. The second time I took it I got a 730 and felt like I still had some gas in the tank to try to raise my score. I spent about a month studying and was consistently hitting 760 on my GMATPrep practice tests (taken at the same time of day as my registered slot) and felt comfortable with most of the material.

I'm not sure what happened on test day. On the first question, that should have taken about 30 seconds to complete, I tripped up and ended up taking more than 2 minutes to complete it. That really hit my nerves since I usually started out strong on my practice tests. Eventually I was running more than 8 minutes behind and was getting tied up on questions that I shouldn't have had a problem with. At this point I was rushing and skipping questions I could solve, but didn't have time to. I think this poor performance also bled over into verbal since I was already on edge from quant and still thinking about it (even though I knew I needed to focus on what was in front of me).

1. I think with minimal work I can be ready to give the test another go (or two). Given the GMAC's cancellation policy is there any downside, from an admissions perspective, to attempting to take the GMAT 1 or even two more times?

I've heard (on these forums and elsewhere) that some schools ask how many times you've taken the GMAT and that has me worried.

2. If I should give it another go, do you guys have any tips for improving time management (since that seems to be what snowballed out of control) beyond timed sets and practice tests?

3. I'm currently planning to apply to a set of schools in R1 and a set of schools in R2, does it make sense to delay everything into R2 to get a better shot at going from a GMAT 730 to 750/760? I'm planning to apply to H/S/W + a couple of the other M7 as a 25/M/Mixed White/Asian applicant.

Here is my testing history. I purchased the extra exam packs to minimize getting the same questions in tests, but I did reset the tests for section specific testing not shown below(easier to fit a ~1 hour section in after work rather than the whole thing).

710 (Q46/V42) GMAT

720 (Q47/V42) GMATPrep Desktop
720 (Q49/V40) GMATPrep Desktop
730 (Q48/V42) GMATPrep Desktop
770 (Q49/V47) GMATPrep Desktop

730 (Q48/V42) GMAT

760 (Q50/V44) GMATPrep Online
760 (Q49/V46) GMATPrep Online
760 (Q50/V41) GMATPrep Online

710 (Q44/V) GMAT [CANCELLED] (I should have written it down, but I was so flustered coming out of the testing center that I forgot the verbal score)

I'd really appreciate any guidance you guys can provide.
Thank
Cristiano
SVP
SVP
User avatar
V
Joined: 15 Jul 2015
Posts: 1760
Location: India
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Re: Should I take the GMAT a fourth time?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Sep 2018, 22:28
leechunsonnn wrote:
1. I think with minimal work I can be ready to give the test another go (or two). Given the GMAC's cancellation policy is there any downside, from an admissions perspective, to attempting to take the GMAT 1 or even two more times?

I've heard (on these forums and elsewhere) that some schools ask how many times you've taken the GMAT and that has me worried.
Not if you're not sacrificing the other aspects of your application. If you're asking purely from the perspective of your target schools, then definitely not (they'll normally go with your highest valid score). And although I'm sure they would love to get as many data points as they can, they know that it's impossible to take a reliable call on multiple scores. For example, someone with a much lower score on his or her first attempt could have just been ill or nervous (or any of a number of things really).

If you're really worried about this, just work it into an optional essay. It's important to point out here that a 710 does not need to be "explained", and you'd be fine even if you left it on your score report. If it helps, imagine what someone else doing the same thing would sound like:

I'm applying with a 780, but one of my retakes was a 760. Is there any way I can convince you to not hold that 760 against me?

leechunsonnn wrote:
2. If I should give it another go, do you guys have any tips for improving time management (since that seems to be what snowballed out of control) beyond timed sets and practice tests?
Pace yourself. Take a look at this timing strategy if you need some direction.

leechunsonnn wrote:
3. I'm currently planning to apply to a set of schools in R1 and a set of schools in R2, does it make sense to delay everything into R2 to get a better shot at going from a GMAT 730 to 750/760? I'm planning to apply to H/S/W + a couple of the other M7 as a 25/M/Mixed White/Asian applicant.
That's a tough call. Check which deadlines you can still meet for R1 and where you are with the rest of your application. If there is a lot of work ahead of you, then R2 makes more sense. Otherwise, a mix of R1 and R2 (with greater focus on R2) is what I'd recommend.

leechunsonnn wrote:
Here is my testing history. I purchased the extra exam packs to minimize getting the same questions in tests, but I did reset the tests for section specific testing not shown below(easier to fit a ~1 hour section in after work rather than the whole thing).
Ideally, you should consider only the scores from those practice tests that did not have any repeat questions (and were taken under exam conditions) representative. If I've understood you correctly, your 760s were all on "fresh" tests (no resets). In that case, you should absolutely back yourself to get that kind of score on the GMAT. Just don't lose sight of the bigger picture.
_________________

Ascore Prep | Live Online

VP
VP
User avatar
V
Status: It's near - I can see.
Joined: 13 Apr 2013
Posts: 1265
Location: India
Concentration: International Business, Operations
GMAT 1: 480 Q38 V22
GPA: 3.01
WE: Engineering (Consulting)
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Should I take the GMAT a fourth time?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Sep 2018, 10:56
leechunsonnn wrote:
I just took the GMAT for the third time this past week and did worse than expected. The second time I took it I got a 730 and felt like I still had some gas in the tank to try to raise my score. I spent about a month studying and was consistently hitting 760 on my GMATPrep practice tests (taken at the same time of day as my registered slot) and felt comfortable with most of the material.

I'm not sure what happened on test day. On the first question, that should have taken about 30 seconds to complete, I tripped up and ended up taking more than 2 minutes to complete it. That really hit my nerves since I usually started out strong on my practice tests. Eventually I was running more than 8 minutes behind and was getting tied up on questions that I shouldn't have had a problem with. At this point I was rushing and skipping questions I could solve, but didn't have time to. I think this poor performance also bled over into verbal since I was already on edge from quant and still thinking about it (even though I knew I needed to focus on what was in front of me).

1. I think with minimal work I can be ready to give the test another go (or two). Given the GMAC's cancellation policy is there any downside, from an admissions perspective, to attempting to take the GMAT 1 or even two more times?

I've heard (on these forums and elsewhere) that some schools ask how many times you've taken the GMAT and that has me worried.

2. If I should give it another go, do you guys have any tips for improving time management (since that seems to be what snowballed out of control) beyond timed sets and practice tests?

3. I'm currently planning to apply to a set of schools in R1 and a set of schools in R2, does it make sense to delay everything into R2 to get a better shot at going from a GMAT 730 to 750/760? I'm planning to apply to H/S/W + a couple of the other M7 as a 25/M/Mixed White/Asian applicant.

Here is my testing history. I purchased the extra exam packs to minimize getting the same questions in tests, but I did reset the tests for section specific testing not shown below(easier to fit a ~1 hour section in after work rather than the whole thing).

710 (Q46/V42) GMAT

720 (Q47/V42) GMATPrep Desktop
720 (Q49/V40) GMATPrep Desktop
730 (Q48/V42) GMATPrep Desktop
770 (Q49/V47) GMATPrep Desktop

730 (Q48/V42) GMAT

760 (Q50/V44) GMATPrep Online
760 (Q49/V46) GMATPrep Online
760 (Q50/V41) GMATPrep Online

710 (Q44/V) GMAT [CANCELLED] (I should have written it down, but I was so flustered coming out of the testing center that I forgot the verbal score)

I'd really appreciate any guidance you guys can provide.
Thank
Cristiano


These links may help you :

1. https://magoosh.com/gmat/2011/to-retake ... to-retake/

2. https://gmatclub.com/forum/should-i-ret ... ml?fl=menu
_________________

"Do not watch clock; Do what it does. KEEP GOING."

Target Test Prep Representative
User avatar
P
Status: Founder & CEO
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Joined: 14 Oct 2015
Posts: 3845
Location: United States (CA)
Re: Should I take the GMAT a fourth time?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Sep 2018, 19:05
Hi leechunsonnn,

730 is a pretty awesome GMAT score. Given that you were scoring 760 on your practice exams, it may not hurt to give the GMAT another shot. Since you always have the option to cancel any future lower scores, there is no downside to taking the exam a few more times. That being said, since taking the exam again would mean waiting until round two to apply, I recommend that you reach out to one of the many admission consultants here on GMAT Club to gain some further insight into your score. If you determine that a 760 score would greatly help your application chances despite applying second round, then it’s a no-brainer: Study some more, retake the GMAT, and apply second round. If not, then stick with the 730 and apply round one, right?

Feel free to reach out with further questions.
_________________

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO

GMAT Quant Self-Study Course
500+ lessons 3000+ practice problems 800+ HD solutions

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Should I take the GMAT a fourth time? &nbs [#permalink] 29 Sep 2018, 19:05
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Should I take the GMAT a fourth time?

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710



Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.