GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 23 Jul 2018, 02:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Significant drop off from practice to official GMAT

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
Significant drop off from practice to official GMAT  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Mar 2018, 16:30
Has anyone else experienced significant drop off from their practice tests to official gmat tests? If so how did you overcome this and how long did it take?

First GMAT experience: I scored a 500 on my first gmat. I had been preparing for a couple months, i was devastated. I had been scoring 590-600 level on Veritas exams/GMAT prep 1. It was after the test that I posted on here & GMATRich made it clear to me that I may not have been taking my practice tests in a realistic fashion/ preparing correctly. My pacing was off, I wasn't timing my practice, my fundamentals weren't as strong. Taking the official exam I had to guess on a couple in verbal at the end as well as a couple in quant. I felt rushed. Scored a 5 on IR & a 6 on the writing. My score was 500. V 30: Quant: 27.

That test was the end of February, since then I dedicated to studying more & timing my self/taking my CATs as realistically as possible. Purchased official GMAT OG Guide + the Quant / Verbal books. I timed my questions, seemed to make significant improvements in my pacing as well as and the "easy" category questions I could get a majority of them right each time moving on to Medium level questions Is where I would get half to more than half correct. Anyways, I decided to do a few practice tests.

All practice tests were taken under realistic settings, 8 mins breaks between V & Quant 8 min break after Quant. Took IR & for AWA wrote down wrong assumptions, how to structure my argument. I haven't been worried about AWA getting 90% last GMAT. These were my scores from Kaplan & MGMAT. They were the reason I decided to schedule a GMAT exam this week,
Kaplan practice test: V 32. Q: 43 - Score 620 --- (seems closer to 630?)
Kaplan practice test 2: V 34 Q 40 - Score 610 --- (seems closer to 620?)
MGMAT practice test: V 34: Q: 39 - Score 610.

Official GMAT exam V: 28 Q 34 - Score 530. IR 6. I really am not understanding the huge drop off, when I finished each section I felt good & confident unlike the first time with a 500. I was actually expecting a good score, I thought I did as good as these 3 practice tests if not better!! I really am having trouble figuring it out. Test conditions were ideal, there was no one in the room with me. My pacing was as good as it has been/better. I skipped a couple quant probs in the middle (not in a row) but only when I saw them and thought these are much harder than I've been seeing, in order to keep on good pace. Had no trouble with IR or AWA at all. I thought verbal went well, thought i'd end up with a 30-34 which is my typical range, I ended on what seemed like a pretty difficult Quant problem, I thought it was one of the best Quants I have tested.

Basically, I am very stumped and disappointed with this big drop from my practices to my official. I was hoping to meet a deadline of April 15th so I am tempted to schedule another GMAT right now just before that, but I'm really not sure what to do anymore or why my score was so low.

Has this happened to anyone else? Any advice? I'm worried about practice exams now giving me this confidence and was devastated when I saw my final score today. I was definitely expecting 610+ after finishing. Not sure where to go from here or what my best bet is. Any help would really be appreciated, thanks everyone
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesMath Revolution Discount Codese-GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
P
Significant drop off from practice to official GMAT  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Mar 2018, 01:26
Mourad wrote:
Has anyone else experienced significant drop off from their practice tests to official gmat tests? If so how did you overcome this and how long did it take?

First GMAT experience: I scored a 500 on my first gmat. I had been preparing for a couple months, i was devastated. I had been scoring 590-600 level on Veritas exams/GMAT prep 1. It was after the test that I posted on here & GMATRich made it clear to me that I may not have been taking my practice tests in a realistic fashion/ preparing correctly. My pacing was off, I wasn't timing my practice, my fundamentals weren't as strong. Taking the official exam I had to guess on a couple in verbal at the end as well as a couple in quant. I felt rushed. Scored a 5 on IR & a 6 on the writing. My score was 500. V 30: Quant: 27.

That test was the end of February, since then I dedicated to studying more & timing my self/taking my CATs as realistically as possible. Purchased official GMAT OG Guide + the Quant / Verbal books. I timed my questions, seemed to make significant improvements in my pacing as well as and the "easy" category questions I could get a majority of them right each time moving on to Medium level questions Is where I would get half to more than half correct. Anyways, I decided to do a few practice tests.

All practice tests were taken under realistic settings, 8 mins breaks between V & Quant 8 min break after Quant. Took IR & for AWA wrote down wrong assumptions, how to structure my argument. I haven't been worried about AWA getting 90% last GMAT. These were my scores from Kaplan & MGMAT. They were the reason I decided to schedule a GMAT exam this week,

Official GMAT exam V: 28 Q 34 - Score 530. IR 6. I really am not understanding the huge drop off, when I finished each section I felt good & confident unlike the first time with a 500. I was actually expecting a good score, I thought I did as good as these 3 practice tests if not better!! I really am having trouble figuring it out. Test conditions were ideal, there was no one in the room with me. My pacing was as good as it has been/better. I skipped a couple quant probs in the middle (not in a row) but only when I saw them and thought these are much harder than I've been seeing, in order to keep on good pace. Had no trouble with IR or AWA at all. I thought verbal went well, thought i'd end up with a 30-34 which is my typical range, I ended on what seemed like a pretty difficult Quant problem, I thought it was one of the best Quants I have tested.

Basically, I am very stumped and disappointed with this big drop from my practices to my official. I was hoping to meet a deadline of April 15th so I am tempted to schedule another GMAT right now just before that, but I'm really not sure what to do anymore or why my score was so low.

Has this happened to anyone else? Any advice? I'm worried about practice exams now giving me this confidence and was devastated when I saw my final score today. I was definitely expecting 610+ after finishing. Not sure where to go from here or what my best bet is. Any help would really be appreciated, thanks everyone

Hi

You might done initial question wrong , that is why there is difference between your mock test and Actual GMAT.
You should order ESR from GMAC, then you can identify where you went wrong.

regards
Attachments

Initial question wrong.PNG
Initial question wrong.PNG [ 61.37 KiB | Viewed 653 times ]

Good, good Let the kudos flow through you

Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests
Re: Significant drop off from practice to official GMAT  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Mar 2018, 05:04
Mourad wrote:

I had a similar thing happen when I took the test at the beginning of March. I took 3 official practice GMAC tests the week before and got scores in the high 600s to low 700s.

On test day I did verbal first and found it to be way easier than any of my practice tests.I was super confident going into Quant, but then my very first question was, as Rich would say, very "weird". It was nothing like anything I had ever seen before and it messed up my pacing and confidence for the rest of the section. Maybe I got unlucky, but I felt like the Quant section was way harder than any of my practice tests, or any questions that I had done in the official guide for that matter. (On test day I had a couple tough-ish probability questions and even a 3 circle overlapping set question that I never thought someone would see with the low quant score that I ended up with.)

I ended up with a final score of 600 (Q32 V41). I'm rewriting this Monday, and am hoping for a significant improvement in Quant. I have been doing a kind of "math immersion" and have completely changed my approach using TEST-IT from empower GMAT, so let's hope that does the trick.

Good luck! (There is nothing worse than seeing a final score that is over 100 points below your practice test scores.)

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Re: Significant drop off from practice to official GMAT &nbs [#permalink] 23 Mar 2018, 05:04

Significant drop off from practice to official GMAT

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT
HOT DEALS FOR JULY
Math Revolution - $99/3 mo Free 1-month trial + Diagnostic Test
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
examPAL Full GMAT video course - Save 10%
EMPOWERgmat - $85/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month GMAT Prep Exams 3, 4, 5 & 6
Target Test Prep - Save $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap