It is currently 21 Oct 2017, 00:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Since all swans that I have encountered have been white, it follows th

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

VP
VP
V

Kudos [?]: 1045 [0], given: 538

GPA: 3.4
Premium Member CAT Tests
Since all swans that I have encountered have been white, it follows th [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Aug 2017, 12:11
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

83% (00:57) correct 17% (01:02) wrong based on 41 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Since all swans that I have encountered have been white, it follows that the swans I will see when I visit the Bronx Zoo will also be white.
Which of the following most closely parallels the reasoning of the preceding argument?

(A) Some birds are incapable of flight; therefore, swans are probably incapable of flight.
(B) Every ballet I have attended has failed to interest me; so a theatrical production which fails to interest me must be a ballet.
(C) Since all cases of severe depression I have encountered were susceptible to treatment by chlorpromazine, there must be something in the chlorpromazine that adjusts the patient’s brain chemistry.
(D) Because every society has a word for justice, the concept of fair play must be inherent in the biological makeup of the human species.
(E) Since no medicine I have tried for my allergy has ever helped, this new product will probably not work either.

Master GMAT
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Official PS Practice Questions
Press +1 Kudos if this post is helpful

Kudos [?]: 1045 [0], given: 538

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 179

Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V30
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Since all swans that I have encountered have been white, it follows th [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Aug 2017, 12:33
To succeed on Mimic the Reasoning you should:

1. Focus on structure not subject matter.
2. Mimic any negation that appears in the original argument structure.
3. Make sure elements are linked together using the same logic as the original but that do not worry about the order with which those elements are presented.”

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 179

Expert Post
GMAT Tutor
B

Kudos [?]: 1954 [0], given: 6

Re: Since all swans that I have encountered have been white, it follows th [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Aug 2017, 12:48
You never see GMAT questions like this - this is a question format from the LSAT.

The argument is based on generalizing from personal experience. "In my experience, X is true, therefore X is probably always true". The stem says "in my experience, swans are white, therefore at the zoo swans are probably white", and the only answer that follows a similar pattern is E, which says essentially "in my experience, allergy medicine doesn't work, so this new allergy product probably won't work".

Arguments in this pattern often aren't good arguments, but the question isn't asking whether the argument is good or bad, so that doesn't matter here.

GMAT Tutor in Toronto

If you are looking for online GMAT math tutoring, or if you are interested in buying my advanced Quant books and problem sets, please contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com

Kudos [?]: 1954 [0], given: 6

Re: Since all swans that I have encountered have been white, it follows th   [#permalink] 15 Aug 2017, 12:48

Since all swans that I have encountered have been white, it follows th

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap