Last visit was: 26 Jul 2024, 19:43 It is currently 26 Jul 2024, 19:43
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 470 [16]
Given Kudos: 277
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [2]
Given Kudos: 16
WE:Advertising (Advertising and PR)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 244 [2]
Given Kudos: 820
GPA: 3.93
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 426 [0]
Given Kudos: 778
Send PM
Re: Since Jackie is such a big fan of Moral Vacuum’s music [#permalink]
A music arranger is someone who arranges a piece of music for a music director, music producer, conductor, a group of performers or a single performer.

Now, now option A is most disputable for me.

At first of half of the choice, J didn't care for CH. "But" indicates something opposite of earlier said statement.
But on arrival of CH, previous musical arranger has been replaced by MV music arranger.

Here no information is provided how MV music arranger is quite similar to CH music arranger.

According to conclusion statement-
Since Jackie is such a big fan of Moral Vacuum’s music, she will probably like The Cruel Herd’s new album.

I am not getting how option A is strengthening the argument. Please explain in detail!
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 579 [0]
Given Kudos: 1656
Send PM
Since Jackie is such a big fan of Moral Vacuum’s music [#permalink]
Only reason I picked A was because it was “better” than all the rest. I agree, I don’t like any of the answers for strengthening the argument.

But D is way more general than A. At least in A, we have the same exact musical arranger of the band she likes.

The passage goes out of its way to describe the type of music very specifically. Saying she likes all rock music —-> strengthens my belief that she will like this weird type of rock music MUCH less than if you told me the same producer/music arranger is part of both bands.

I also believed that the same musical arranger would be more likely to arrange lyrics with puns and other stuff she likes.

At least A provides a “bridge” to link the comparison of the 2 bands.

But imho, they all suck.

Edit: ouch, it’s an LSAT question too. I wonder if it was a discarded question.....

gvij2017 wrote:
A music arranger is someone who arranges a piece of music for a music director, music producer, conductor, a group of performers or a single performer.

Now, now option A is most disputable for me.

At first of half of the choice, J didn't care for CH. "But" indicates something opposite of earlier said statement.
But on arrival of CH, previous musical arranger has been replaced by MV music arranger.

Here no information is provided how MV music arranger is quite similar to CH music arranger.

According to conclusion statement-
Since Jackie is such a big fan of Moral Vacuum’s music, she will probably like The Cruel Herd’s new album.

I am not getting how option A is strengthening the argument. Please explain in detail!

Posted from my mobile device
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 470 [0]
Given Kudos: 277
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
KAPLAN OFFICIAL EXPLANATION

(A) Strengthen the Argument

A prediction is strengthened when you assure circumstances that favor it.

The author of this argument is trying to convince us about Jackie’s musical preferences, predicting that she will like the new album by The Cruel Herd. Why? Well, “since” at the beginning of the first sentence signals the evidence, and it’s all based on Jackie’s existing affinity for the music of Moral Vacuum. The author goes on to tell us about similarities between the two bands: they have similar sounds and instrumentation, and they also feature similar lyrics. So, in order for these factors to support the claim that Jackie will enjoy The Cruel Herd, these factors (style, arrangement, lyrics) must be the reasons why she likes Moral Vacuum in the first place. This assumption is integral to the prediction in the author’s conclusion.

(A) makes the prediction a little more likely by indicating that Cruel Herd’s music will resemble Moral Vacuum’s even more now that Cruel Herd has enlisted Moral Vacuum’s musical arranger.

If (B) is true, The Cruel Herd’s production quality may very well improve, but that doesn’t strengthen the idea that Jackie will enjoy it. Production quality was not one of Jackie’s reasons for liking Moral Vacuum.

(C) Mutual popularity with students doesn’t ensure a similarity in music, arrangement or lyrics. Out of scope.

(D) broadens the scope too much. Knowing that Jackie listens to rock music regularly doesn’t strengthen anything.

(E) actually weakens the argument by suggesting that the things Jackie loves most about Moral Vacuum— somber lyrics, a strong political awareness—are not things that Moral Vacuum has in common with The Cruel Herd. Always expect a 180 choice like this on a Strengthen or Weaken question.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 208 [0]
Given Kudos: 332
Send PM
A has to be the answer because it ties together the reasoning presented in the passage. There must be a link to Moral Vacuum's music. A gives us more reason in the justification that the author provided - i.e. the similarities b/w the two singers means that SHE WILL PROBABLY like Cruel Her'ds music too.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 870 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Since Jackie is such a big fan of Moral Vacuums music [#permalink]
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Since Jackie is such a big fan of Moral Vacuums music [#permalink]
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6985 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
236 posts
CR Forum Moderator
824 posts