GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Nov 2018, 14:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • How to QUICKLY Solve GMAT Questions - GMAT Club Chat

November 20, 2018

November 20, 2018

09:00 AM PST

10:00 AM PST

The reward for signing up with the registration form and attending the chat is: 6 free examPAL quizzes to practice your new skills after the chat.
  • The winning strategy for 700+ on the GMAT

November 20, 2018

November 20, 2018

06:00 PM EST

07:00 PM EST

What people who reach the high 700's do differently? We're going to share insights, tips and strategies from data we collected on over 50,000 students who used examPAL.

Since smoking-related illnesses are a serious health problem

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
Re: Since smoking-related illnesses are a serious health problem  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Oct 2018, 13:27
I just encountered this problem on a practice test and I must say... I hate this question.

I am also still convinced that the answer choice should be B. If the amount of nicotine in most cigarettes is "somewhat" (whatever that means) less than the maximum amount, this would show that a decrease in nicotine has been ineffective previously. By reducing the maximum nicotine permitted by law, the effect will either be negligible on the amount of nicotine per cigarette (depending on the definition of "somewhat") or be relatively ineffective based on the evidence from answer choice B.

I don't understand how answer choice E is even relevant. The Normarkian government already knows that smoking-related illness is caused by the tar in cigarette smoke and are targeting nicotine to help break the addiction. The reduction of incidence of smoking-related illness was supposed to come directly from the reduction of the maximum nicotine amount. The reduction is intended to come over a long period of time as their citizens become less addicted to nicotine and have an easier time breaking the habit.
Manager
Manager
G
CAT Tests
Since smoking-related illnesses are a serious health problem  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Oct 2018, 23:24
atuck wrote:
I just encountered this problem on a practice test and I must say... I hate this question.

I am also still convinced that the answer choice should be B. If the amount of nicotine in most cigarettes is "somewhat" (whatever that means) less than the maximum amount, this would show that a decrease in nicotine has been ineffective previously. By reducing the maximum nicotine permitted by law, the effect will either be negligible on the amount of nicotine per cigarette (depending on the definition of "somewhat") or be relatively ineffective based on the evidence from answer choice B.

I don't understand how answer choice E is even relevant. The Normarkian government already knows that smoking-related illness is caused by the tar in cigarette smoke and are targeting nicotine to help break the addiction. The reduction of incidence of smoking-related illness was supposed to come directly from the reduction of the maximum nicotine amount. The reduction is intended to come over a long period of time as their citizens become less addicted to nicotine and have an easier time breaking the habit.

The govt doesn't know tar is the cause of illness. It's not stated in the premise

People are addicted to nicotine. If the govt reduces the nicotine per cigarette , people will smoke more cig. Let's say 10 cig contains 10 units of niconite and 10 units of tar smoke.
Now since govt reduces the nicotine but tar remains the same, people are smoking 20 cig which contains 10 units of nicotine and 20 units of tar.

The proposal will increase the illness
Manager
Manager
B
Since smoking-related illnesses are a serious health problem  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Oct 2018, 02:57
atuck wrote:

Hi!

Let's rewind a little bit and understand the given situation, premise(s), and the conclusion. This understanding will help us evaluate the full impact of answer choice better. :)

Situation:

1. Smoking-related illnesses = serious health problems in Normark
2. Addiction to nicotine = reason that many people are not successfully able to quit smoking
3. Govt.'s plan to resolve problem stated in point 2 = reduce the max. allowable qty. of nicotine per cigarette by half over the next 5 yrs

Premise:

Reducing qty. of nicotine will probably cause people addicted to nicotine to smoke more cigarettes.

Conclusion:

Therefore implementing the plan is not likely to reduce the incidence of smoking related illnesses.

Choice B: most cigarettes currently sold in Normark contain somewhat less than the maximum amount of nicotine permitted by law.

The dictionary meaning of "somewhat" is "to some extent/degree". Doesn't really clarify much, does it?! :)

I think for the sake of this discussion we can take two cases - a case in which the current amount of nicotine/cigarette is somewhat less = NOT significantly less than the current limit & a case in which the current amount of nicotine/cigarette is somewhat less = SIGNIFICANTLY less than the current limit.

Scenario 1: Let's say that the current max. allowable limit for nicotine/cigarette is 100 units, but most cigarettes currently have 98 units/cigarette (NOT significantly less than the current limit). In this case, over the 5 years, the max. limit will come down to 50 units. So, there will likely be a noticeable reduction in the amount of nicotine used per cigarette. If this situation is reached, as per the author's premise (an opinion given by the author), people addicted to nicotine will end up smoking more cigarettes to get their fix. However, in this case too, we just have the author's opinion that they will end up smoking more cigarettes. We don't actually find a reason to believe that they will actually start doing so. All this does is tell us that that IF the author is right in his understanding of the behavior of nicotine addicted people, then this situation will provide circumstances conducive to exercising that behavior.

Scenario 2: Again the current max. allowable limit for nicotine/cigarette is 100 units, but most cigarettes currently have only 50 units/cigarette (SIGNIFICANTLY less than the current limit). In this case too, over the 5 years, the max. limit will come down to 50 units. So, there will likely be NO noticeable change in the amount of nicotine used per cigarette. So, people will still get a similar amount of nicotine/per cigarette. In this case, the author's premise that people addicted to smoking will probably smoke more cigarettes is not likely to be true - at least they do NOT need to do so to get a comparable amount of nicotine they were getting before the reduction. So, this case, if anything possibly WEAKENS the given premise, which is an opinion in this particular argument. Therefore, the author can no longer cite this premise to draw the given conclusion. Basically, the whole chain of events is broken at the second step : (non-noticeable) Reduction in nicotine --> Increase in smoking by people addicted to nicotine --> Conclusion.

So, you see, the impact of choice B is rather complicated, and frankly speaking, quite confusing.

Now, let's consider Choice E: The main cause of smoking-related illnesses is not nicotine but tar in cigarette smoke.

This one is hard to rule out because it overrides all nicotine related situations and says that it does not matter what the government keeps doing with nicotine as tar is the culprit behind the smoking related illnesses. And no, it is not given to us in the argument that the government is aware that tar is the main culprit. The argument very cleverly never goes in to the discussion of actual cause. So, if we factor in the information given in choice E, the government will fail in addressing the cause, and, hence, this choice supports the conclusion directly without interfering with the other opinion given as the premise.

I can see why Choice E is a clear winner. Having said that, I do understand the confusion over Choice B, and I hope this post has been able to provide some clarity.

Cheers!

NS
GMAT Club Bot
Since smoking-related illnesses are a serious health problem &nbs [#permalink] 24 Oct 2018, 02:57

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 23 posts ] 

Since smoking-related illnesses are a serious health problem

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap