It is currently 20 Nov 2017, 07:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Single Major 4 yr vs Double Major 5 yr

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 186 [0], given: 0

Single Major 4 yr vs Double Major 5 yr [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Jan 2009, 20:44
Hi,

I joined this club a couple of years ago to prepare for GMAT. (Took it and got 7x0 :) )

I'm still an undergrad who has a year left in college.

My major is mathematics and I'm thinking of double majoring economics.

However, doing so is very likely to postpone my graduation by a semester or a year.

The job market is bad at the moment so I'm willing to postpone my graduation for a double major (and to improve my GPA for I find econ easier than math...)

Will the fact that I graduated college not within the "usual" 4 years hurt my application later on for b-schools?

Would double majoring + improved GPA at a cost of an additional semester/year worth the possible penalty that might exist
for not having graduated within 4 years?

Please advise.

Thanks in advance. :)

Kudos [?]: 186 [0], given: 0

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 3

Schools: MIT
Re: Single Major 4 yr vs Double Major 5 yr [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Jan 2009, 22:45
Well this is certainly not authoritative, but I've heard more than one person (applicants and admissions consultants) say that an extra semester or two for a double-major is usually not a big deal. It's even more understandable if at least one of the majors is a longer/harder major. But every situation is different, and every school is different, so there's not a blanket answer.

For what it's worth, I'm graduating in May and will have taken 5 years to graduate with a double-major (although it is mostly due to the availability of the classes that I needed, but it's taking an extra year none the less). I'm not saying that "it's definitely not a problem" because I'm obviously not unbiased, but for me personally, I think it's a pretty low probability that it will matter so I'm not too worried about it.

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 3

VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 127 [0], given: 6

Schools: Tuck

Show Tags

New post 09 Jan 2009, 22:55
Graduating in 5 instead of 4 years will have ZERO impact on your chances of admission.

RF

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 127 [0], given: 6

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 149 [0], given: 34

Schools: Ross '12 (MBA/MS)

Show Tags

New post 10 Jan 2009, 03:19
Keep in mind that your GMAT score is only good for 5 years. How many years do you plan on working after earning your undergraduate degree before applying for your MBA? Assuming you took your GMAT pretty close to your GMAT Club join date, your score is already 1.5 years old. Then add 2 years to finish your double major and you're looking at 1-1.5 years of FT work experience before a lot of the top schools will ask you to retake the GMAT.

However, I'm sure if you've already scored a 7x0, you can do so again in a few years.

Kudos [?]: 149 [0], given: 34

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 70 [0], given: 15

Schools: Kellogg Class of 2011

Show Tags

New post 10 Jan 2009, 10:08
I took 4.5 years for a single major in engineering. I think earning a double major in 4.5-5.0 years is understandable. So the extra time should not even be a consideration. Personally, I think adding the econ major will round out your candidacy and you should do it if you don't mind staying in school for the extra time (which you shouldn't). Also, I wouldn't worry about the GMAT expiring either...I'm sure you can duplicate that score if necessary.

Kudos [?]: 70 [0], given: 15

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 10 Jan 2009, 11:47
yea don't worry about how it would look like to the adcom...the double major would speak for itself.
But I do agree with YihWei that you need to think about that GMAT expiration date in respond with how much work experience you want to accumulate.
Gaining adequate quality experience is valuable, and i'm pretty sure you don't want to deal again with that GMAT.
I took my GMAT when I was in college just like you because I was set on going to b-school right after it, but even though I was admitted at that time I decided to take a job first in order to get into better schools....and now dealing with GMAT again is not fun. Restudying...while thinking about the possibility of scoring lower..not cool.

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 0

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 64 [0], given: 28

Schools: Harvard '11

Show Tags

New post 10 Jan 2009, 12:39
You should do the double major. A 3.5 GPA in Economics + Math is more marketable than a 3.2 in mathematics. And the economy is absolutely in the tank today. You may have better luck finding a job in a couple of years.

Kudos [?]: 64 [0], given: 28

Re: Single Major 4 yr vs Double Major 5 yr   [#permalink] 10 Jan 2009, 12:39

Single Major 4 yr vs Double Major 5 yr

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap