Last visit was: 05 Jun 2024, 03:35 It is currently 05 Jun 2024, 03:35
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11706 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Re: Skipping Strategy on Verbal [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi gmatreq,

The scoring algorithm for the Official GMAT is far more complex than most Test Takers realize. That having been said, the general idea that "spreading out" the questions that you plan to "dump" is preferable to "dumping" 3-4 in a row is a good plan. There are some situations that would be exceptions to this rule, but that would be nit-picking the idea a bit, and that's not worth your time.

You seem to be taking more time on SCs than recommended (a typical SC should take 60-90 seconds), which makes me think that you're reading AND re-reading each of the answer choices, instead of finding the grammar "splits" and built-in patterns that would allow you to quickly eliminate answer choices. Since you're so close to Test Day, and you've been practicing a certain way for so long, there's probably nothing that can be done about that. Keep a watchful eye for common grammar rules and you might be able to save some time though - if you can find a definable reason to eliminate an answer choice, then you don't need to read the entire choice all the way through.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Send PM
Hi gmatreq,

I am also facing the same issue with my pacing, my scores in verbal are also dropping to 80 -90 % from 90-95 % due to the last 3-4 incorrect answers.
I am consistently running out of time by the time I reach the last 3-4 question.
what was the result of your strategy of skipping some questions in verbal?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance. :-)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi rickyfication,

It looks like gmatreq hasn't logged onto this site in almost 3 months, so it's possible that we might not hear back from him. You've defined one particular 'issue' that you're facing, and I'll be happy to offer some advice - I'd like to know a bit more about how you've been studying though:

1) How long have you studied?
2) What materials have you used?
3) How have you scored on each of your practice CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores)?
4) What is your goal score?

Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Skipping Strategy on Verbal [#permalink]
Hi Rich,

Thank you.
1. I have been studying for over a month and a half. I have not yet decided the date of my exam.
2. I used OG, MGMAT Guides for my preparation. I also referred to SC grail.
3. The scores of my last three Manhattan Prep GMAT Tests are as follows:
620 (Q45/V31)
680 (Q45/V37)
690 (Q45/V38)

Verbal section was always a problem for me and I was very much aware of the fact that it could make or break a score so most of my month long effort was directed towards it. I am targeting 40+ in verbal.
Regarding the quant section, I feel I will be able to get 48-49 by putting in some more effort. (I didn't really focused on quant till now).

4. I am targeting 720+. :-)

Please advise.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi rickyfication,

Based on your last two CAT scores, you do not have a big 'weak area' in the Verbal section. The missing points that you might be looking for there are likely going to come down to rarer question types and little errors that you might be making. To that end, you don't need a V40+ to score 720+, so it's not clear why the V40+ is your goal. Before you make any huge changes in how you're studying, I suggest that you study for another couple of week AND focus more on the Quant section. Once you've put in that time, you should take one of the GMAC CATs (take the FULL CAT, with the Essay and IR sections) and let's see how you score. There's a pretty good chance that you're already (or almost already) at the 720+ score level right now.

Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi Rich,

Thank you for your advice.
Though I am not making many silly mistakes but there are certain question types that are taking too much time for me to solve (mainly CRs). I think I should concentrate on them and see if I can improve on my timing.
GMAT Club Bot