Last visit was: 17 May 2024, 06:29 It is currently 17 May 2024, 06:29
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Finance, Social Entrepreneurship
Schools:Haas, HBS, UNC, Duke, Kellogg, etc
WE 1: Investment Banking Domain, Functionally-Technology
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 49
Concentration: Operations, Statistics
Schools: Ross (Michigan) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
GPA: 3.31
WE:Accounting (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Send PM
Re: Smartly getting recos from current Manager [#permalink]
How important is it to have a recommendation from your immediate and most current supervisor?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 49
Concentration: Operations, Statistics
Schools: Ross (Michigan) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
GPA: 3.31
WE:Accounting (Manufacturing)
Send PM
most schools allow you to explain why you cannot get it from current supervisior. It might be best to try to identify someone who can speak about your current work though. I am in accounting so report to a plant GM and corporate Finance. I cannot go to finance for a reco so i am going to my GM to speak about my day to day and potential and a marketting person to speak about my teamwork etc. I will have to tell finance eventually but right now they are in process of trying to promote me so I will not do that now. Maybe next year when I apply to more schools if i have to i will just admit and ask for a reco, if they refuse just go with what i have.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 427 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
first of all do you have to use him or there is a tech lead or supervisor you can use instead? Also, how well do you know the manager personally and what are his habits? My manager for example gossips a lot so i never asked him. Luckily i had multiple supervisors so i used one of them instead.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
I think a current colleague / supervisor is a lot more important than people like to imagine. I also think that the excuse of lacking the confidence to ask your manager really doesn't sit well. If you are a consultant on a shifting team or in a family business, fine - it obviously has a problem or a conflict. The job security thing.... I remain entirely unconvinced. Most managers would be way happier than you may well imagine to provide support and recommendations to you furthering your career. They have been around long enough to expect people to move on, and treating them with dignity and respect through things moves you up in their estimations. Sure, it is an issue in the near future, but they also feel quite proud that they were involved in you aiming for such aspirations.

Just ask, and allow them enough time it isn't a stress to complete the recommendations.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
GMAT Date: 07-17-2015
GPA: 3.57
Send PM
Would it make sense to get a recommendation from your business partner? Think Ben getting a rec from Jerry?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
shaselai wrote:
first of all do you have to use him or there is a tech lead or supervisor you can use instead? Also, how well do you know the manager personally and what are his habits? My manager for example gossips a lot so i never asked him. Luckily i had multiple supervisors so i used one of them instead.

well i do hav a colleague who too reports to my manager but then my manager is the person i hav worked on almost all my projects with...for all the projs that i hav handled he was the one tracking my progress and knows my work inside out... so his reco would be most ideal!!!

n he is no gossipy type.. he is gud good...
Current Student
Send PM
admad10 wrote:
shaselai wrote:

well i do hav a colleague who too reports to my manager but then my manager is the person i hav worked on almost all my projects with...for all the projs that i hav handled he was the one tracking my progress and knows my work inside out... so his reco would be most ideal!!!

n he is no gossipy type.. he is gud good...

it is a risk you gotta take. Even with my other supervisor i was "forced" to ask her because my other rec was just plain lazy...turned out she is very enthusiastic and says the best thing an application wants to hear - " rec done, send me next!". If you think your manager is a good dude then try it especially he seems to be the person who knows you the best as well (my manager just signed time cards....)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
I think you just need to tell your manager honestly so that he can really help you with good recommendation. Having said that you are the best judge of your boss and believe you can guess whether your appraisal at stake or not after that. Think about the consequences if your appraisal at stake. Will that affect your future career ? I don't really think so. Think also about the consequences if your appraisal not at stake ? You will get the proper recommendation and you still maintains good relationship with your current manager in the future
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 245 [1]
Given Kudos: 53
Concentration: CPG Marketing
Schools:Chicago Booth 2013, Ross, Duke , Kellogg , Stanford, Haas
 Q41  V42
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Kudos
I had this same concern, especially since I don't necessarily work in a field where it is expected you will get an mba. I just talked to both my supervisors last week and it went well. This is pretty much exactly what I said "I've wanted to go back to school and had been thinking about ASU (my undergrad and local university) part-time mba and most likely that is where I would still go, however as I've been researching further, I think I may actually have some shot at a top 10 school. I know it's only like a 15% acceptance rate and it's a long-shot, but I figured I owed it to myself to at least try for an amazing opportunity. I really do love working here and of course wouldn't leave unless it was for a once in a lifetime opportunity that I just couldn't pass up, that's why I'm only applying to ASU and a few very top programs. This is something I'm really excited about and hoping you would help support me by giving me your recommendation. This wouldn't be until a year from now if I got accepted, and I would know either way long before that, so of course you would have plenty of notice of my plans."
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Michmax3 wrote:
I had this same concern, especially since I don't necessarily work in a field where it is expected you will get an mba. I just talked to both my supervisors last week and it went well. This is pretty much exactly what I said "I've wanted to go back to school and had been thinking about ASU (my undergrad and local university) part-time mba and most likely that is where I would still go, however as I've been researching further, I think I may actually have some shot at a top 10 school. I know it's only like a 15% acceptance rate and it's a long-shot, but I figured I owed it to myself to at least try for an amazing opportunity. I really do love working here and of course wouldn't leave unless it was for a once in a lifetime opportunity that I just couldn't pass up, that's why I'm only applying to ASU and a few very top programs. This is something I'm really excited about and hoping you would help support me by giving me your recommendation. This wouldn't be until a year from now if I got accepted, and I would know either way long before that, so of course you would have plenty of notice of my plans."

wow.. that was one killer approach!!!
quiet liked it... might try something on that line...
Current Student
Send PM
when are you applying? you might need to ask for rec soon>
Intern
Intern
Send PM
shaselai wrote:
when are you applying? you might need to ask for rec soon>

hey thanks for concern.. but me applying in R2...so i can very well ask for it by Nov start...
GMAT Club Bot