GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 07 Dec 2019, 04:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Smith vs Rutgers vs Buffalo vs Katz vs Krannert ($) for Brand Mgmt

new topic post reply Update application status  

Which school is the best (or least worst) option in entering Brand Management?

• 0% [0]
  • 0% [0]
  • 0% [0]
  • 100% [1]
  • 0% [0]
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
B
Smith vs Rutgers vs Buffalo vs Katz vs Krannert ($) for Brand Mgmt  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Feb 2019, 19:23
Hello, choosing between 5 schools and not sure which one to pick.

Smith: Limited $
Rutgers: $$
Buffalo: Full Ride
Katz: No Scholarship
Krannert: $

About me: Domestic student (US naturalized citizen) with 7 years of Digital Marketing experience, the last 2 leading a subdivision.

Goal: Enter an F500 CPG as a Brand Marketer, preferably one based in the United States (as I've heard companies like Nestle, Henkel, and Unilever have limited growth opportunities unless working at HQ). Location agnostic, but would like to only work for a prestigious firm (Hershey, General Mills, ConAgra, Heinz, Colgate, Mars, P&G, J&J, Kraft, Pepsi, CocaCola, InBev, MillerCoors, etc). Willing to venture to as many conferences and diversity fairs on my own accord as possible.

Another note: I'm also waiting on Baruch, Cox and Haslam but I'm not sure if any of those programs are significantly better.
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: Smith vs Rutgers vs Buffalo vs Katz vs Krannert ($) for Brand Mgmt  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Feb 2019, 21:40
Hi and congratulations on your admits! You did a ton of work and applied to a bunch of schools!

Are any of these looking more attractive to you than others?

I think Buffalo is one for its full ride though I am completely unfamiliar with that school. Rutgers is second and I feel the others are somewhat out of consideration or am I missing something?
B
Smith vs Rutgers vs Buffalo vs Katz vs Krannert ($) for Brand Mgmt  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 06 Feb 2019, 22:30
bb wrote:
Hi and congratulations on your admits! You did a ton of work and applied to a bunch of schools!

Are any of these looking more attractive to you than others?

I think Buffalo is one for its full ride though I am completely unfamiliar with that school. Rutgers is second and I feel the others are somewhat out of consideration or am I missing something?

To be honest not really...they're all low ranked programs and I know I have an uphill battle in regards to obtaining a good role post degree. I'm just hoping that being domestic gives me some kind of an edge.

Since I'm an alma mater at Buffalo I'll give the low-down: It's a great school, but mitigates its lower ranking by admitting candidates with lower levels of work experience. My WE is far more tenured and qualified than the average for the school (which is 0-3 years) and their average salary is almost 1/2 my current. Recruiting is local to Buffalo companies except for Target (but they're recruiting is more Undergrad level like ETL...something I applied for almost 8 years ago).

I don't think any of these schools can really get me to my goals without significant LinkedIn harassing and attending diversity conferences but I could be mistaken. I prefer Buffalo since, if all things are the same in all these schools, I would love to go back to the region for 2 more years. I'm essentially trying to figure out if one school holds an advantage over another for Brand. Also have a hypothesis that most Brand companies don't really care too much about school and my experience would be seen as very valuable after attending diversity conferences but that's an expensive gamble. I'd love however to be the one to help my alma mater in getting into a company that's outside our sphere of influence and recruit back.

Rutgers/Baruch would be the most convenient options since I live in NYC but skeptical if either school has an advantage in recruiting. I know Rutgers does a lot in Pharma but I'm not interested in that industry tbh from a moral perspective.

Originally posted by mozillameister on 06 Feb 2019, 22:13.
Last edited by mozillameister on 06 Feb 2019, 22:30, edited 1 time in total.
Founder
Founder
V
Re: Smith vs Rutgers vs Buffalo vs Katz vs Krannert ($) for Brand Mgmt  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Feb 2019, 22:20
Once you hit some of the lower ranked schools on-campus recruiting dries up. It is still a life-changing experience. Don’t get me wrong. You will be challenged and you will be stronger after you are done. You will get the value.

I would perhaps consider them equally ranked then. I have heard about Rutgers and it seems to have an alum base and has its sphere of influence. I would chat with some of the current students and alums and see about their mood. See how many have an internship or a job offer. You can check in with adcom for help with connections. If you are not impressed, I would probably decide between these two.

Since it is a full ride at Buffalo you may as well take that option and save money for recruiting trips and harassing ;-)

PS. Have you considered an EMBA or a PTMBA? May be an option for someone with your level of experience though it is not as helpful with career changes.

Posted from my mobile device
B

Show Tags

New post 06 Feb 2019, 22:29
bb wrote:
Once you hit some of the lower ranked schools on-campus recruiting dries up. It is still a life-changing experience. Don’t get me wrong. You will be challenged and you will be stronger after you are done. You will get the value.

I would perhaps consider them equally ranked then. I have heard about Rutgers and it seems to have an alum base and has its sphere of influence. I would chat with some of the current students and alums and see about their mood. See how many have an internship or a job offer. You can check in with adcom for help with connections. If you are not impressed, I would probably decide between these two.

Since it is a full ride at Buffalo you may as well take that option and save money for recruiting trips and harassing ;-)

PS. Have you considered an EMBA or a PTMBA? May be an option for someone with your level of experience though it is not as helpful with career changes.

Yeah but switching from Digital Marketing to Brand Management is considered a career change even though it's both technically Marketing. Otherwise, I could apply for those kinds of jobs as/is (something I tried a year ago and got nowhere). I really don't see a lot of LT value in Digital as I'm specialized in 1 area and that's the only area I can sell to employers. I'm much better at strategy than execution, so I think I'm a lot stronger at more management-level roles than my current area. Plus Brand is what I wanted to do post undergrad.
Founder
Founder
V

Show Tags

New post 06 Feb 2019, 22:32
Makes sense! I am with you. The full time experience is better overall. For a career change an internship will be very important.

Re: Smith vs Rutgers vs Buffalo vs Katz vs Krannert ($) for Brand Mgmt   [#permalink] 06 Feb 2019, 22:32

Smith vs Rutgers vs Buffalo vs Katz vs Krannert ($) for Brand Mgmt

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: billionaire, teleste, Wilch