GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 13 Nov 2018, 10:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Essential GMAT Time-Management Hacks

November 14, 2018

November 14, 2018

07:00 PM PST

08:00 PM PST

Join the webinar and learn time-management tactics that will guarantee you answer all questions, in all sections, on time. Save your spot today! Nov. 14th at 7 PM PST
  • $450 Tuition Credit & Official CAT Packs FREE

November 15, 2018

November 15, 2018

10:00 PM MST

11:00 PM MST

EMPOWERgmat is giving away the complete Official GMAT Exam Pack collection worth $100 with the 3 Month Pack ($299)

so confused

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
so confused  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2017, 16:39
I did Kaplan's live online class. My diagnostic was 590, my last practice test I took Sunday before today I got a 670 (45Q 38V) and on a previous practice test I had gotten my verbal up to 42. Today I went to take my test, got a good nights rest, was in a generally relaxed and good mood. I felt decent about the test, was a bit pressed for time for the last 5 in quant and did some strategic guessing. In verbal I used Kaplan's methods and made sure I used all of the 75 min (rushing had been a problem of mine in the past). Felt great on IR and even on my AWA! and then I clicked next... I got a 530. I was shocked. Lower than I had scored when I had never seen the format of the test before. I'm upset because I feel like I did everything right and now I just feel stupid. Any advice or tips? I don't even know what to do next.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
P
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: so confused  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2017, 18:30
Welcome to GMAT Club! And please don't feel stupid -- the GMAT isn't a test of intelligence, and this sort of thing happens ALL THE TIME, especially for people who are taking the real test for the first time.

Here, check this out: https://gmatclub.com/forum/experts-topi ... 46658.html. Do any of these factors look familiar at all?

And in your case, I'd definitely recommend springing for the ESR -- I have a feeling that it'll give you some insights into which topics caused the worst of the damage.

Don't give up, though. Again, test-day letdowns aren't unusual at all, and if you can work on really building some consistency before your retake, you'll be OK.

Good luck with your studies!

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | Instagram | Food blog | Notoriously bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars
Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja in your post. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

Ask GMAT Experts Forum Moderator
V
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 20 Dec 2017, 10:21
emkush266 wrote:
I did Kaplan's live online class. My diagnostic was 590, my last practice test I took Sunday before today I got a 670 (45Q 38V) and on a previous practice test I had gotten my verbal up to 42. Today I went to take my test, got a good nights rest, was in a generally relaxed and good mood. I felt decent about the test, was a bit pressed for time for the last 5 in quant and did some strategic guessing. In verbal I used Kaplan's methods and made sure I used all of the 75 min (rushing had been a problem of mine in the past). Felt great on IR and even on my AWA! and then I clicked next... I got a 530. I was shocked. Lower than I had scored when I had never seen the format of the test before. I'm upset because I feel like I did everything right and now I just feel stupid. Any advice or tips? I don't even know what to do next.

Hi
Sorry to hear that your Gmat didn't go well.
I would suggest to order ESR soon. It will give you an insight on the areas that you need to work further.
I presume that the practice test score of 670 was on the Gmatprep. Gmatprep tests are the closest to the actual test and give you a realistic score.
Although I don't have personal experience on Kaplan's course, it generally has good reviews.
Actual test score may be about +/-30 points than Gmatprep tests. Variations more than this may be attributed to some other factors, such as exam day pressure or any factors that you might have done that you wouldn't do normally on your practice tests.
However, it happens with most candidates and is not unusual. Nothing to be demoralized about this. Just take it as another opportunity to get back at the Gmat.
Hope it helps.

Please give kudos, if you like my post

When the going gets tough, the tough gets going...

EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 20 Dec 2017, 17:44
Hi emkush266,

I'm sorry to hear that Test Day didn't go as well as hoped. Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) How long have you studied?
2) Did you use any other study materials besides the Course you mentioned?
3) How have you scored on EACH of your CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?
4) Did you take the FULL CAT each time (including the Essay and IR sections)?
5) What were the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for this Official GMAT?

Goals:
6) What is your goal score?
7) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
8) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

*****Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!*****

GMAT Club Bot
Re: so confused &nbs [#permalink] 20 Dec 2017, 17:44

so confused

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: chetan2u, EMPOWERgmatRichC, bb

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap