Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 19:24 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 19:24

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1117 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Working till about 2 weeks until school. I have a reading list of about 10 or so books I plan on going through, and I will be working out like a madman.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1117 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
fluffydot wrote:

I really need to get started on the mbamath.com course and read the recommended books!

Same here, yet for some reason I keep procrastinating it...
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
[#permalink]
fluffydot wrote:
I really need to get started on the mbamath.com course and read the recommended books!

Could you share what these recommended books are? The GSB hasnt offered any suggestions at all.

I've been busy planning my wedding and finalizing my honeymoon - 9 days to go! I'll probably be scarse the whole month of May and back in full force towards the end of may.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
I was wondering where you've been hiding! Getting married eh? when's the big day?

Does that mean we're no longer meeting up in the Bahamas? My ticket to HK cost me a pretty penny so I'm kinda low on cash right now :(

Cornell's recommended reading list has only 2 books on it: Freakonomics and Principle of Microeconomics. People on this board have said that Freakonomics is a very good book, seems like it is suppose to be more of a teaser to get you thinking about economics as opposed to real educational material.

On the other hand, Priciple of Microeconomics sounds promising. It is written by Ben Burnanke and Robert H Frank.

The Cornell website promises to update the list later in the summer. Plus I'm still kinda reading the 10 Day MBA...
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
[#permalink]
fluffydot wrote:
I was wondering where you've been hiding! Getting married eh? when's the big day?

Does that mean we're no longer meeting up in the Bahamas? My ticket to HK cost me a pretty penny so I'm kinda low on cash right now :(

May 11. Bahamas can still happen... just after hte weddnig!

Quote:

Cornell's recommended reading list has only 2 books on it: Freakonomics and Principle of Microeconomics. People on this board have said that Freakonomics is a very good book, seems like it is suppose to be more of a teaser to get you thinking about economics as opposed to real educational material.

Freakonomics is toilet reading. It's worth reading but its hardly "education". It's the "Everyboody poops" equivalent of Economics.

Quote:
The Cornell website promises to update the list later in the summer. Plus I'm still kinda reading the 10 Day MBA...

I've been carryign that 10 day MBA book around with em for months and havent cracked it open yet. haha.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 98 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I have to agree that Freakonmics is a horrible book. A bunch of half-baked ideas based on questionable assumptions and correlations.

The most ridiculous part of the book is the beginning of each chapter has a quote where some academic praises the author of the book.

Imagine every post of mine was preceded by, "JohnnyX9 has revolutionized the craft of typing random crap on message boards while at work, he is a true visionary."
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Well unfortunately, it's required reading for Johnson students :( But I think it really is just to get your brain juices flowing, and start thinking outside the box or whatever.

Rhyme, how bout u meet me in Hong Kong instead? I'll show u a good time :wink:
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
[#permalink]
fluffydot wrote:
Well unfortunately, it's required reading for Johnson students :( But I think it really is just to get your brain juices flowing, and start thinking outside the box or whatever.

Rhyme, how bout u meet me in Hong Kong instead? I'll show u a good time :wink:

Did you just wink at me and tell me you'll show me a good time?

:naughty:
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 593 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Unlike Rhyme's my 10-Day MBA has been in one place for the last 2 months. Namely my desk. And it seems that it will remain there for another month,

I have been too busy with work plus the paperwork for the visa is killing me. Wish me luck guys
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 135 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I'm planning on quitting my job in the late June, mid-July range. Now that my admissions season is over, I have been concentrating more on hitting the gym and hanging out with friends until I move. However, I am attempting to network with current and future Vandy students, in addition to doing some industry reading.

I've also been organizing my trip to Bonnaroo this June, it should be a good time.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 208 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I have been presented with a departure gift by my company: I've been appointed to perform an internal operations consulting gig. I basically have to organize things at a related company for 2 months (May and June).

I took their offer because I believe it will look nice in my resume. Plus I'll still get July / August off. Had I not taken the job, I would have been mostly workless (maybe even jobless!) from May through August, and I think it would have looked kinda bad.

L.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I have been taking a few courses in the local Community College to get back into the academic mood.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
At Days at Haas, I asked some of the first years what we should be doing over the summer. One of the things I had heard before was that they said to start building your network with the other admitted students as much as possible. So with the other admits in your area, arrange happy hours, golf outings, etc. Maybe even a trip to Vegas.

Anyways, thought it was an interesting tip.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I am trying to sell my house.
Not sure if I can down my house repair experience on my resume :lol:
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Send PM
[#permalink]
Also selling my house!

Do we really have to network with other incoming students? I am sure that they will be just lovely people, but really...I have a life here. I want to enjoy it while I can. There will be time enough for them when it comes to math camp.

I am trying to bust through the stats class I started but neglected all through May. Will someone volunteer to call me everyday and make authoritative pronouncements about needing to get my rear in gear for this class? I would appreciate it. You could all take shifts.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
since I am going to be your classmate, let me do the honor! :lol: :lol:

I think this will be the last time that I will be fixing my house myself.

Before MBA
my time <hiring> hiring someone to do the work
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]