GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 14 Oct 2019, 18:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Solve square root of (d)^2+6d+9?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
B
Solve square root of (d)^2+6d+9?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Nov 2018, 12:21
Answer to the question should be:
Question: Square root of (d)^2+6d+9
Answer: Square root of (d+3)^2
d+3.

BUT in the book, they have given two answers:
d+3 and -(d+3)

Arent they wrong? if something is under the square root sign we always consider positive answer only, don't we? Please clarify this doubt.

If someone has Manhattan Prep 6th Edition Algebra book, this is on page 182 and the explanation is page 71.
Intern
Intern
B
Re: Solve square root of (d)^2+6d+9?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Nov 2018, 12:35
If you take the square roof of a number there are always 2 possible solutions:
E.g.:
(-x)^2 = x^2
x^2 = x^2
Hope this helps

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 21 Nov 2018, 12:38
Reactzz wrote:
E.g.:
(-x)^2 = x^2
x^2 = x^2
Hope this helps

I know there are 2 possible solutions but when the square root sign is there, there is only one positive solution as mentioned in the book. Please see my doubt.
Director
Director
P
Schools: INSEAD Jan '19
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V33
GPA: 3.95
WE: Consulting (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 21 Nov 2018, 12:52
aj3001 wrote:
d+3.

d+3 and -(d+3)

Arent they wrong? if something is under the square root sign we always consider positive answer only, don't we? Please clarify this doubt.

If someone has Manhattan Prep 6th Edition Algebra book, this is on page 182 and the explanation is page 71.

As I understand, anything under the Square Root sign is considered as a positive.
V

Show Tags

New post 21 Nov 2018, 21:13
aj3001 wrote:
d+3.

d+3 and -(d+3)

\(\sqrt{d^2+6d+9}=\sqrt{(d+3)^2}=|d+3|\). So, the answer is d + 3 or -(d + 3). Notice that -(d + 3) is not necessarily negative, for example consider d = -4.
B

Show Tags

New post 21 Nov 2018, 23:10
Bunuel wrote:
aj3001 wrote:
d+3.

d+3 and -(d+3)

\(\sqrt{d^2+6d+9}=\sqrt{(d+3)^2}=|d+3|\). So, the answer is d + 3 or -(d + 3). Notice that -(d + 3) is not necessarily negative, for example consider d = -4.

Thank you so much for your explanation. I got confused since in the book they have mentioned that if a square root sign is used in the GMAT, only the positive value is considered. e.g.. \(\sqrt{16}\) then answer should be only 4 and not both 4 and -4.
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 21 Nov 2018, 23:20
aj3001 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
aj3001 wrote:
d+3.

d+3 and -(d+3)

Thank you so much for your explanation. I got confused since in the book they have mentioned that if a square root sign is used in the GMAT, only the positive value is considered. e.g.. \(\sqrt{16}\) then answer should be only 4 and not both 4 and -4.

The book is correct.

Check again: \(\sqrt{d^2+6d+9}=\sqrt{(d+3)^2}=|d+3|\). So, we got that the result is |d + 3| (the absolute value of d + 3). Absolute value is always non-negative, so the result we got (|d + 3|) cannot be negative, it could be positive or 0.

More about the even roots on the GMAT:

\(\sqrt{...}\) is the square root sign, a function (called the principal square root function), which cannot give negative result. So, this sign (\(\sqrt{...}\)) always means non-negative square root.

The graph of the function f(x) = √x

Notice that it's defined for non-negative numbers and is producing non-negative results.

TO SUMMARIZE:
When the GMAT provides the square root sign for an even root, such as a square root, fourth root, etc. then the only accepted answer is the non-negative root. That is:

\(\sqrt{9} = 3\), NOT +3 or -3;
\(\sqrt[4]{16} = 2\), NOT +2 or -2;

Notice that in contrast, the equation \(x^2 = 9\) has TWO solutions, +3 and -3. Because \(x^2 = 9\) means that \(x =-\sqrt{9}=-3\) or \(x=\sqrt{9}=3\).
B
Solve square root of (d)^2+6d+9?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Nov 2018, 23:39
Quote:

Quote:

The book is correct.

Check again: \(\sqrt{d^2+6d+9}=\sqrt{(d+3)^2}=|d+3|\). So, we got that the result is |d + 3| (the absolute value of d + 3). Absolute value is always non-negative, so the result we got (|d + 3|) cannot be negative, it could be positive or 0.

More about the even roots on the GMAT:

\(\sqrt{...}\) is the square root sign, a function (called the principal square root function), which cannot give negative result. So, this sign (\(\sqrt{...}\)) always means non-negative square root.

The graph of the function f(x) = √x

Notice that it's defined for non-negative numbers and is producing non-negative results.

TO SUMMARIZE:
When the GMAT provides the square root sign for an even root, such as a square root, fourth root, etc. then the only accepted answer is the non-negative root. That is:

\(\sqrt{9} = 3\), NOT +3 or -3;
\(\sqrt[4]{16} = 2\), NOT +2 or -2;

Notice that in contrast, the equation \(x^2 = 9\) has TWO solutions, +3 and -3. Because \(x^2 = 9\) means that \(x =-\sqrt{9}=-3\) or \(x=\sqrt{9}=3\).

So the book is right, When the GMAT provides the square root sign for an even root, such as a square root, fourth root, etc. then the only accepted answer is the non-negative root..

But if \(\sqrt{9} = 3\), NOT +3 or -3
then why is \(\sqrt{d^2+6d+9}=\sqrt{(d+3)^2}=|d+3|\). i.e (d+3) and -(d+3). Shouldn't it be d+3 ONLY?

Sorry I am really confused.
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 21 Nov 2018, 23:48
aj3001 wrote:
then why is \(\sqrt{d^2+6d+9}=\sqrt{(d+3)^2}=|d+3|\). i.e (d+3) and -(d+3). Shouldn't it be d+3 ONLY?

No. Absolute value sign, ||, ensures that the result is not negative: |d + 3| cannot be negative.

If d >=-3, then |d + 3| = d + 3 (notice that if d >= -3, then d + 3 is NOT negative).
If d < -3, then |d + 3| = -(d + 3) (notice that if d < -3, then -(d + 3) is NOT negative).

So, as you can see the result is non-negative in all cases. Try plugging numbers to check.
B

Show Tags

New post 22 Nov 2018, 01:08
Bunuel wrote:
aj3001 wrote:

No. Absolute value sign, ||, ensures that the result is not negative: |d + 3| cannot be negative.

If d >=-3, then |d + 3| = d + 3 (notice that if d >= -3, then d + 3 is NOT negative).
If d < -3, then |d + 3| = -(d + 3) (notice that if d < -3, then -(d + 3) is NOT negative).

So, as you can see the result is non-negative in all cases. Try plugging numbers to check.

Got it, thank you so much! :)
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 25 Jan 2019, 00:34
E.g.:
(-x)^2 = x^2
x^2 = x^2
Hope this helps

Manhattan Prep Instructor
G
GMAT 1: 790 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 26 Jan 2019, 14:36
Reactzz wrote:
E.g.:
(-x)^2 = x^2
x^2 = x^2
Hope this helps

That's true, but not technically true on the GMAT. A lot of people find this counterintuitive, so here's an article about the square root situation:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/blog ... -the-gmat/

For the original question, Bunuel's answer is right. -(d+3) isn't necessarily a negative number - for instance, if d = -100, then -(d+3) is positive. So, -(d+3) could actually be the positive square root!

Chelsey Cooley | Manhattan Prep | Seattle and Online

My latest GMAT blog posts | Suggestions for blog articles are always welcome!
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Solve square root of (d)^2+6d+9?   [#permalink] 26 Jan 2019, 14:36

Solve square root of (d)^2+6d+9?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics