GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 23 Feb 2019, 09:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in February
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar

SOM ($$$) vs. Kellogg MMM ($$)

new topic post reply Update application status  

Yale SOM or Kellogg MMM?

• 40% [10]
  • 60% [15]
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
SOM ($$$) vs. Kellogg MMM ($$)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Dec 2018, 16:03
$50k at SOM over the two years. $40k towards the MMM program at Kellogg. Depending on the hour of the day, Yale or Kellogg was my top choice. Super lucky to get to choose, but also extremely torn! And to top it off, Yale's welcome weekend / Day at Kellogg are on the exact same days. No way to attend both.

I'm coming from a boutique consultancy that focuses on risk/compliance at banks, but I spent half my time in a software development/product design role in addition to bread-and-butter consulting. Trying to shift to more strategy consulting (external or internal) with a more design-focus.

Yale's program costs less and the school is giving me more $. I love the diversity of the class and the international focus in particular, I'd really like more international exposure. Also the integration with the rest of the university is a major draw, and I'm a huge fan of how Yale has designed its curriculum. I also like the people I've met from SOM the most of all the school's I've visited. Culture-wise, it just seems like the closest fit, and every student and alum has been extremely helpful and really interesting to speak to. I want to be in this for an education and not just a networking degree and I feel like SOM ticks that box. Also, the Yale brand overall is strong, even if the brand of the bschool specifically isn't top of the top.

But, the alumni network for SOM is admittedly smaller, and if you believe much in rankings, Kellogg has it beat. Its design-leaning recruiting is also more ad hoc, just by virtue of not being a dedicated program, although I've heard good things from current students I've talked to who have leveraged the consulting and d&i clubs, for example. New Haven is also less ideal for my SO who was planning to move with me. Also, with Dean Snyder's departure, the direction of the school is unclear. (Arguably same can be said of Kellogg.)

Kellogg sends me on my way with a dual degree after two years (and I get to quit my job sooner :lol:) that allows me to demonstrate focus as well as build really specific design-driven skills while also building my core business knowledge. Obviously a huge alumni network and a strong ranking and reputation in the business world, with good recruitment stats on West/East costs and also the midwest. Better location for my SO (and we went to undergrad in Chicago so we have a network there). My sense is a stronger career office, plus MMM has resource from the engineering side as well. When I first started looking into MBA programs, MMM was my top choice and the one to beat, but my visit to SOM/talking to students really won me over and now I'm an even split.

The people seem fine at Kellogg, the class I sat in on was so-so but one of the students later told me that it was one of the weaker instructor's he's had. I'm worried that with MMM my ability to take advantage of international opportunities may be more limited. Also, more expensive program, but got less money. And I'm less sure about the strength/value of the MMM brand out in the industry after graduating (i.e., whether it's worth the extra money, even though I think the combo degree is super fascinating!). Dean Blout stepping down also leaves the next stage of Kellogg in question, although its ranking/rep is arguably stronger than SOM's / less vulnerable to public opinion on the next dean (perhaps?).

Any advice welcome (including which admitted students weekend to go to ...why do they all do the same day!!!??)
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: SOM ($$$) vs. Kellogg MMM ($$)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Dec 2018, 16:19
Congratulations!!!
Consulting would be a natural path with both programs. I am sure there are some % differences between them that will hardly matter but I feel with Yale being remote, it likely gets a bit fewer opportunities as not as many companies come out and most likely trek to NYC for recruiting anyway.

I would consider the value that MMM may provide vs. Yale, and then whether you want to be East Coast/Midwest/International or don't care. That may help you see the admissions in a different light and from a diff perspective.

I saw you were PMing Souvik - hope you get some insight. He was not happy with Yale ;-)
Congratulations again and good luck!

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
OG2019 Directory is here!
Want to know application stats & Profiles from last year? Check the Decision Tracker

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 12 Dec 2018, 16:34
bb wrote:
Congratulations!!!
Consulting would be a natural path with both programs. I am sure there are some % differences between them that will hardly matter but I feel with Yale being remote, it likely gets a bit fewer opportunities as not as many companies come out and most likely trek to NYC for recruiting anyway.

I would consider the value that MMM may provide vs. Yale, and then whether you want to be East Coast/Midwest/International or don't care. That may help you see the admissions in a different light and from a diff perspective.

I saw you were PMing Souvik - hope you get some insight. He was not happy with Yale ;-)
Congratulations again and good luck!

Thanks so much bb!! I know, in the words of my dad, I have a serious "high class problem" here. Feeling very lucky / proud that a lot of hard work has paid off. I'm agnostic east cost vs. midwest - slight preference for midwest with our undergrad network there, but we're currently in NY (and I'm from east cost) so our professional and my family network is out here. Both have decent placement although obviously Kellogg leads in midwest and Chicago in particular.

Agreed on Yale being remote, but suspected that some of the more design-leaning roles might not be on-campus recruiting anyway. I figured if there was going to be a certain about of off-campus hustle either way, would it matter as much that New Haven is comparatively more remote? Curious to hear others' thoughts. And definitely hoping to hear back from Souvik!

Thanks so much again. Feeling a whole mess of emotions right now, I need to remember to take a breather and step back and just be proud and excited to have reached this moment!!
Manager
Manager
G
Schools: Booth '21 (M)
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V47
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 12 Dec 2018, 16:55
Great problem to have. Congratulations on both the offers.
Given "Consulting + Design" goals, I feel Kellogg is the front-runner here.
Kellogg's consulting prowess is phenomenal and MMM has a specific "design" aspect to it. I think it will serve you better both in the short as well as the long term.

Go with Kellogg! The extra cost is totally worth it.

Application Journey - From zero admits to 4 T15 offers | GMAT Debrief - 770 (Q49,V47)

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 17 Jan 2019, 22:41
I'm sure this will shock everyone, but just submitted my SOM deposit! At the end of the day, it was all about fit for me. And after finding enough of a network from both schools in some of my target companies, I really felt I couldn't go wrong either way and prioritized where I could most see myself and would be happiest/fit with the people the most.

Go bulldogs!
GMAT Club Bot
Re: SOM ($$$) vs. Kellogg MMM ($$)   [#permalink] 17 Jan 2019, 22:41

SOM ($$$) vs. Kellogg MMM ($$)

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: billionaire, Wilch

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap