GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Feb 2019, 20:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in February
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free GMAT Algebra Webinar

February 17, 2019

February 17, 2019

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Attend this Free Algebra Webinar and learn how to master Inequalities and Absolute Value problems on GMAT.
  • Valentine's day SALE is on! 25% off.

February 18, 2019

February 18, 2019

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

We don’t care what your relationship status this year - we love you just the way you are. AND we want you to crush the GMAT!

Some say that an asteroid colliding with Earth was responsible for the

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

SC Moderator
D
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 200 Q1 V1
GPA: 4
WE: Analyst (Retail)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Some say that an asteroid colliding with Earth was responsible for the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Mar 2017, 16:00
Question Type: Inference

(A) No comparably catastrophic asteroid collision with Earth has occurred since the one that killed the vast majority of dinosaurs. - Incorrect. Very Extreme.

(B) Some members of each dinosaur species were killed either directly or indirectly by the impact of the asteroid collision with Earth. - Incorrect. We cannot conclude that some members of each dinosaur species were killed. May be an entire specie was separated from the group that faced an asteroid impact.

(C) All the members of at least one dinosaur species were killed either directly or indirectly by the impact of the asteroid collision with Earth. - Incorrect. Extreme.

(D) If the majority of dinosaurs were killed by an asteroid colliding with Earth, some dinosaurs lived at great distances from each other at the time of the collision. - Correct.

(E) It is possible to determine a close estimate of the number of dinosaurs that were killed, either directly or indirectly, by the asteroid collision with Earth - Incorrect. Out of scope. Estimating the number of deaths is not discussed at all in the argument.

Answer: D
Intern
Intern
B
Re: Some say that an asteroid colliding with Earth was responsible for the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jun 2017, 13:26
The premise long sentence and choice a are hard to read.
As this is my first question.
I was hard to concentrate.

"dinosaurs lived far enough from the point of collision that they were not directly killed by the impact or by the drastic change in temperature when immense dust clouds created by the impact blocked the sun.'
"
a) The water supply used by the dinosaurs who survived the asteroid collision and subsequent change in global temperature had not become contaminated by lethal fallout from the collision.'
If I get the meaning of these 2 , I can get this right by negation technique.
Current Student
B
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2017, 02:20
I was thoroughly convinced with C. Not sure, how A is correct. Isn't water contamination a totally irrelevant point?
Since we're finding assumptions here, I don't think we are to cook up specific facts, rigt?

Please help. :(

Desperately need 'KUDOS' !!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B
GMAT 1: 770 Q60 V60

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2017, 04:03
While it is obvious that A is the correct answer choice, it is important to understand why C is incorrect. If you take a look again and pay attention to the flow of the argument, you'll notice that the fact that several dinosaurs survived the impact and the subsequent temperature change is a premise, not an assumption. Without the surviving dinosaurs, there is no argument. Also, this fact is not even necessarily true - notice the word "perhaps" in the sentence.

Another way to look at this fact is to regard it as a hypothetical situation: if there were surviving dinosaurs, they must have subsequently been killed by some other force, and if there were not any, ah well, there is nothing left to say. ;)

Are you aiming for a 700+ GMAT score and a top 10 MBA?
If you are, we should talk. I specialize in ambitious students.

$80/hour as of May 2018.

http://www.facebook.com/HanoiGMATtutor
HanoiGMATTutor@gmail.com

Current Student
S
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2017, 09:23
Clearly A is the answer. In CR, author always believes his or her argument is air-tight. For example, if according to author A caused B, then nothing else but only A caused B. Similarly, if A did not cause B, then anything related to A did not cause B.

Using above logic, only A stands out as it clearly points out that something related to asteroid collision may have caused the death of surviving dinosaurs.
VP
VP
D
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 11 Jul 2017, 10:05
Imo A
The argument says that the All dinosaur did not die because of the impact of the asteroid hitting the earth .
These must have been some dinosaur living far off areas which did not feel the impact of the asteroid.
Now for the dinosaur to survive in far off areas the increase in temperature should not have reached those areas.
hence A is the necessary assumption.

Please give kudos if you found my answers useful

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Economics, Operations

Show Tags

New post 16 Oct 2018, 23:02
@bluseas,
Please correct me .
For option E, it might possible that because change in temperature lasted for years and gradually all the remaining dinosaurs died.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Some say that an asteroid colliding with Earth was responsible for the   [#permalink] 16 Oct 2018, 23:02

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 27 posts ] 

Some say that an asteroid colliding with Earth was responsible for the

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap