GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Nov 2018, 22:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
28293031123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
2526272829301
Open Detailed Calendar
  • FREE Quant Workshop by e-GMAT!

     November 18, 2018

     November 18, 2018

     07:00 AM PST

     09:00 AM PST

    Get personalized insights on how to achieve your Target Quant Score. November 18th, 7 AM PST
  • How to QUICKLY Solve GMAT Questions - GMAT Club Chat

     November 20, 2018

     November 20, 2018

     09:00 AM PST

     10:00 AM PST

    The reward for signing up with the registration form and attending the chat is: 6 free examPAL quizzes to practice your new skills after the chat.

Source: Knewton When a certain insecticide is sprayed onto a

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 16 Jul 2009
Posts: 1062
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Source: Knewton When a certain insecticide is sprayed onto a  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jan 2011, 05:02
2
3
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  85% (hard)

Question Stats:

53% (01:49) correct 47% (01:49) wrong based on 336 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Source: Knewton

When a certain insecticide is sprayed onto a given tree, the active chemical in this insecticide becomes inactive, and non-lethal to insects, after being exposed to the air for 14 days. This chemical becomes active as soon as a tree is sprayed and is no longer considered active as soon as it is ingested by an insect, which dies immediately upon this ingestion. Therefore, the large number of insects that have been observed to die after landing on a tree more than 14 days after this tree has been sprayed must not have died from ingesting the insecticide.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the conclusion above?

A) Some laws about insecticide use do not ban the use of several insecticides at a given time, as long as these insecticides are not sprayed simultaneously.

B) Machines, which are often used to spray an insecticide the first time this insecticide is used in a given region, often spray more insecticide than is necessary to kill the insects on any given tree.

C) The insecticide can slowly penetrate the bark of a tree and poison any insect eggs lain inside, preventing these eggs from hatching for more than 14 days after the initial insecticide spraying.

D) Within 14 days after a tree is sprayed, rainstorms may carry the insecticide into a nearby stream, preserving the activity of its chemicals until it evaporates into the atmosphere and precipitates down with the rain.

E) This insecticide can cause leaf dehydration, which sucks the nutrients out of the leaves, causing insects that depend on the tree for nourishment to die.

_________________

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit


GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 16 Jul 2009
Posts: 1062
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Re: certain insecticide  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jan 2011, 05:04
What I dont catch is that how we can assume that a rainstorm has actually occurred?
_________________

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit


GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Retired Moderator
User avatar
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Joined: 04 Oct 2009
Posts: 1194
Location: Peru
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Re: certain insecticide  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jan 2011, 07:57
noboru wrote:
What I dont catch is that how we can assume that a rainstorm has actually occurred?


+1 D
I agree with you; that "may" in the choice is tricky.
However, remember that you have to choose the best option among the choices, not the perfect one.
Additionally, remenber that you must accept the choices as true (Powerscore CR).
_________________

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: http://gmatclub.com/forum/my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 16 Jul 2009
Posts: 1062
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Re: certain insecticide  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jan 2011, 08:06
1
metallicafan wrote:
noboru wrote:
What I dont catch is that how we can assume that a rainstorm has actually occurred?


+1 D
I agree with you; that "may" in the choice is tricky.
However, remember that you have to choose the best option among the choices, not the perfect one.
Additionally, remenber that you must accept the choices as true (Powerscore CR).


I agree with you in that I must accept the choices as true, but in order to weaken the conclusio, the answer should be:

Within 14 days after a tree is sprayed, a rainstorms carried the insecticide into a nearby stream, preserving the activity of its chemicals until it evaporates into the atmosphere and precipitates down with the rain.

Otherwise, you have to assume too much. Imagine that the tree is located in a city where never rains.
_________________

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit


GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 14 Jul 2014
Posts: 177
Location: United States
Schools: Duke '20 (D)
GMAT 1: 600 Q48 V27
GMAT 2: 720 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.2
Reviews Badge
Re: Source: Knewton When a certain insecticide is sprayed onto a  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2015, 05:50
I was stuck between C and D. Why not C?
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 24 Jul 2011
Posts: 192
Location: India
GMAT 1: 570 Q50 V19
GMAT 2: 650 Q49 V28
GMAT 3: 690 Q50 V34
WE: Information Technology (Investment Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Source: Knewton When a certain insecticide is sprayed onto a  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Nov 2015, 06:32
Here is the OE; however, I am still not able to comprehend reason for eliminating option E. Can someone please help.


OE:

The author of this argument concludes that, because an active chemical in an insecticide becomes inactive after 14 days of air exposure, the death of an insect that lands on a sprayed tree is not due to the ingestion of this insecticide.

The answer must provide evidence against the following chain of events: Insecticide is sprayed, active chemical is exposed to the air, 14 days pass, chemical becomes inactive, insect's death is not due to this pesticide.

Choice D is correct. It provides evidence that the chemical, once sprayed, is not necessarily exposed to the air for fourteen continuous days. If a rainstorm can carry the insecticide into a stream and preserve its activity, it is not until the chemical is re-exposed to the air that its activity resumes. Thus, this chemical could evaporate, rain back down onto the tree, and cause the death of an insect outside of the 14-day window. This weakens the argument.

Choice A is outside the scope of the argument, which is concerned with the effect of this insecticide on an insect.

Choice B is irrelevant; there is no evidence that the amount of insecticide has any effect on how long it remains effective. After 14 days, all the insecticide, no matter how much there is, should become inactive and non-lethal.

Choice C is about an irrelevant group of insects; the conclusion is that insects that land on the tree do not die from ingesting this insecticide; the insect eggs inside the tree are out of the scope of this argument.

Choice E is irrelevant to the conclusion. This choice states that the insecticide might have another lethal effect on insects, causing them to die from malnutrition. However, the argument states explicitly that insects that land after 14 days do not die from ingesting the insecticide. This choice actually strengthens that argument, by offering another reason that the insects might have died on this tree.
_________________

Middle of nowhere!

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 24 Jul 2011
Posts: 192
Location: India
GMAT 1: 570 Q50 V19
GMAT 2: 650 Q49 V28
GMAT 3: 690 Q50 V34
WE: Information Technology (Investment Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Source: Knewton When a certain insecticide is sprayed onto a  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Nov 2015, 06:47
1
After thinking more, is why option E wrong because even though it creates a cause that insects die because of insecticides, it doesn't say that that they because of ingesting the insecticide.

rohitmanglik wrote:
Here is the OE; however, I am still not able to comprehend reason for eliminating option E. Can someone please help.


OE:

The author of this argument concludes that, because an active chemical in an insecticide becomes inactive after 14 days of air exposure, the death of an insect that lands on a sprayed tree is not due to the ingestion of this insecticide.

The answer must provide evidence against the following chain of events: Insecticide is sprayed, active chemical is exposed to the air, 14 days pass, chemical becomes inactive, insect's death is not due to this pesticide.

Choice D is correct. It provides evidence that the chemical, once sprayed, is not necessarily exposed to the air for fourteen continuous days. If a rainstorm can carry the insecticide into a stream and preserve its activity, it is not until the chemical is re-exposed to the air that its activity resumes. Thus, this chemical could evaporate, rain back down onto the tree, and cause the death of an insect outside of the 14-day window. This weakens the argument.

Choice A is outside the scope of the argument, which is concerned with the effect of this insecticide on an insect.

Choice B is irrelevant; there is no evidence that the amount of insecticide has any effect on how long it remains effective. After 14 days, all the insecticide, no matter how much there is, should become inactive and non-lethal.

Choice C is about an irrelevant group of insects; the conclusion is that insects that land on the tree do not die from ingesting this insecticide; the insect eggs inside the tree are out of the scope of this argument.

Choice E is irrelevant to the conclusion. This choice states that the insecticide might have another lethal effect on insects, causing them to die from malnutrition. However, the argument states explicitly that insects that land after 14 days do not die from ingesting the insecticide. This choice actually strengthens that argument, by offering another reason that the insects might have died on this tree.

_________________

Middle of nowhere!

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 22 Jun 2016
Posts: 52
Re: Source: Knewton When a certain insecticide is sprayed onto a  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Oct 2016, 19:10
Choice D is irrelevant, it is talking about rainstorm and has got more assumptions like rain has to come, insecticide has to be carried away and insecticide should get percipitated and again rain has to come in the same place.


Choice E: Clearly says even after 14 days insecticide kills insects in different way on the same tree for the same insects that survived with in 14 days.
Retired Moderator
User avatar
S
Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Posts: 2990
Location: Germany
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Source: Knewton When a certain insecticide is sprayed onto a  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Oct 2016, 08:31
ravikrishna1979 wrote:
Choice D is irrelevant, it is talking about rainstorm and has got more assumptions like rain has to come, insecticide has to be carried away and insecticide should get percipitated and again rain has to come in the same place.


Choice E: Clearly says even after 14 days insecticide kills insects in different way on the same tree for the same insects that survived with in 14 days.


Choice E is NOT correct because the insects do not die because of ingesting the insecticide. Insecticides may be indirectly responsible, but the reason for death is NOT ingesting the insecticide.

Option D, though way too far-fetched, is the best answer. As discussed previously the "could be" scenario needs to be satisfied for a strengthening / weakening questions. (Scientifically there is a huge fallacy though - when the chemical evaporates and comes down with rain, the concentration of the chemical is way below the concentration when they are directly sprayed on the tree - it would be absurd that the rain falls only on the trees and nowhere else !)
Non-Human User
User avatar
Joined: 01 Oct 2013
Posts: 3388
Premium Member
Re: Source: Knewton When a certain insecticide is sprayed onto a  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Oct 2018, 07:44
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
_________________

-
April 2018: New Forum dedicated to Verbal Strategies, Guides, and Resources

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Source: Knewton When a certain insecticide is sprayed onto a &nbs [#permalink] 27 Oct 2018, 07:44
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Source: Knewton When a certain insecticide is sprayed onto a

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.