It is currently 17 Oct 2017, 19:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

SSE - MSc Finance Profile Evaluation

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

SSE - MSc Finance Profile Evaluation [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Aug 2017, 01:51
Hi. Could anyone take a look and evaluate the chances of being accepted to the Master of Finance in Stockholm School of Economics next year?

21 y.o.
GPA: 4.0/4.0 from a top Czech university (Economics and Finance) - the best GPA of the class in both years and the only one who had the best grades possible in either year
GMAT: 730 (Q49, V40, IR 4, AWA 4)
IELTS: not taken yet, CAE grade A
A semester abroad in a top German University
A short internship in Big4 company in consulting
A semester of working for a volunteer consultancy on a pro-bono project
Decent extracurricular activities (member of students clubs, organizing sport events etc.)
Languages: English C2, German C1, Spanish B1-2.

I think the profile is quite good, what worries a bit though are the low scores in IR and AWA in GMAT. IR quite ok but I do not really get why I was given this awa score since I have experience with writing, must have read the setting incorrectly or something like that. Anyway, I am pretty sure I can improve these two (not sure about the total score, but maybe that one too). However, I do not really want to retake gmat unless necessary since my time possibilities are not good now and paying for the exam once again is pretty annoying too. What do you guys think? Should I do the gmat once more? I would say the main score is what matters (at SSE, they told me they assess everything but at the same time provided me only with average overall score) but do not want the other two parts to ruin my application.

Thank you!

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
B

Kudos [?]: 99 [1], given: 2

Re: SSE - MSc Finance Profile Evaluation [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Sep 2017, 08:49
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
It looks pretty good. In my experience. the AWA and IR are really important for US schools to see how internationals can do in say an MBA setting. Honestly, the GMAT is pretty worthless as a metric of anything other than putting in time and figuring out their game. It is high school algebra asked in an ass backwards way. The essays are a joke and there is a specific formula for writing them to get a high score.

Since you are applying for a finance program as opposed to an MBA, you should be fine. Just make sure your personal essays and correspondence with admissions is written appropriately. If you come off as jumbled, they might look at your scores and make assumptions.

Master in Finance HQ
http://www.msfhq.com

Kudos [?]: 99 [1], given: 2

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 24 [1], given: 4

Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: SSE - MSc Finance Profile Evaluation [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Sep 2017, 05:49
This post received
KUDOS
Hey there,
Overall, you have quite a good profile. Here are some pointers about the same:
Your academic performance really stands out , and even your GMAT is above the median GMAT scores of many competitive B-Schools. There is no need to retake the GMAT, you can utilize the time to focus on other aspects of your application like the essays and resume.
Experience with a Big4 company and international certainly give you a competitive edge.
Your extra-curriculars are fairly decent too. Here’s a pro-tip: The Adcom is interested in impact, not just participation. So, make sure you mention your contribution through these experiences.
As far as your apprehension about low scores is concerned, IR won’t be much of an issue. However, AWA is a matter of concern as it might raise questions on the quality of your essays.
As mentioned earlier , retaking GMAT is not necessary –Just focus on making a strong impact through your essays.
If you need expert assistance, you can check out our MFin essay editing service here : http://www.mim-essay.com/masters-finance-essay-editing/

Abhyank Srinet
Founder at http://www.MiM-Essay.com

MSc. in Management(MiM) Admission Consultants

Get consultation from graduates of HEC, ESCP, ESSEC, LBS & Duke

Feel free to message me, if you have any MiM/MSc. related questions or want a detailed Free profile evaluation

Kudos [?]: 24 [1], given: 4

Re: SSE - MSc Finance Profile Evaluation   [#permalink] 06 Sep 2017, 05:49

SSE - MSc Finance Profile Evaluation

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap