GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 10 Dec 2018, 14:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar

Stanford essay Topic: What matters most to you and why ?

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
S
Stanford essay Topic: What matters most to you and why ?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Aug 2018, 13:39
Hi,

I hope everyone is ROCKING!

I am writing to ask if people can share any NEW and Innovative responses for - "What matters most to you and why ?" - The Stanford essay question.

I am asking as I have been working with an applicant for almost over a month now, and he and I have been struggling to get something authentic that really resonates with his life. Every time I did this Stanford essay for others, I became more mature, and grew in life.

Background of my Applicant- Tech( Products). Entrepreneur ( Hasn't raised capital). Very innovative yet- Hasn't been able to sell-off the organisation or raise capital or have 100K app downloads etc. That singularity of expression is clearly missing. Strength- Comes from a very very Humble background, and is probably the only MBA Applicant in his entire family/community( first engineer as well). Would very likely shut down his business before starting the MBA as is barely Romen Profitable and not fundable yet( Struggling with team building / leadership related issues). Hasn't been able to scale because of his perfectionist nature- can't trust people easily.

Community work- Not very strong ! Yet! Has been trying to create a strong essay on Contribution/making a difference/making an impact. I have ruled them out as his Contribution Story is PURELY Plastic. Won't stick.

I am not asking you to share your essays, but if you have interesting insights on What can REALLY Matter most to us- I would be happy to spin an interesting story.

Given the basic human needs, I have tried - Admiration, Winning, Making a difference, Innovation, Challenging the Status quo, Being the first, Being Curious and a lot of these aren't going very well with the story.

Even from people who aren't applying to Stanford, or those who are assisting others as Admissions consultants, I would really love to hear more about - What are some really Great options for "What Matters most?"

Even though I know that the story matters more than the "WHAT", I am still curious what all can go into the "WHAT?"

I am getting a feeling that I have the entire thread ready, the entire story SET- YET- I am not Satisfied with the Labels he is attaching to the entire fabric of the essay.

Any thoughts/ideas/Major themes would be appreciated.

Thank You !

Jatin

Our GMAT Program- Creating 750+ Scores
Our MBA Consulting- Top Schools and significant Scholarships
PythaGURUS Education
http://www.pythagurus.in

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
GPA: 3.5
Re: Stanford essay Topic: What matters most to you and why ?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Aug 2018, 21:05
Just my thought:
To me, things being fair/equal is very important.

I mean fairness in day-to-day life, in analytical comparisons, opportunity, employment, income, judiciary etc.

I volunteer at an organization that helps low income high school students in applying for higher education and this may have helped in formulating my thoughts behind it. But you can expand this further in terms of income inequality, educational/employment opportunity and even fairness in trial/judicial decisions.

Please keep in mind that ultimately the essay has to sound authentic and from the heart of the candidate, so definitely write on something that the candidate is passionate about.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Stanford essay Topic: What matters most to you and why ? &nbs [#permalink] 30 Aug 2018, 21:05

Stanford essay Topic: What matters most to you and why ?

new topic post reply Update application status  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap