It is currently 20 Sep 2017, 00:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Stanford Word Limit

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Schools: Texas (accepted) , Chicago Booth (accepted), Stanford (denied), London Business School (accepted)
Stanford Word Limit [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2008, 08:26
has anyone else noticed Stanford's word limit is 1,800 words TOTAL?! That is ridiculously low. last year, they allowed up to 7 pages which is closer to 2,500+ words. This makes their essays very tough.

750 words for what matter most to you and why?

450 words for your career goals and why Stanford essay?! Other schools give you 1,000 words for that one.

Shocked...

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 95 [0], given: 15

Schools: Kellogg '10
Re: Stanford Word Limit [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2008, 09:15
Something to keep in mind, and I'm not sure how serious it is, but I went to a recent panel that had adcoms from five of the top schools present, including Stanford. A question was directed to Stanford regarding word limits, since apparently they have changed, and the adcom made a point that they wouldn't state something in the application if it were unimportant. I would infer from his statement that they're serious about the word limit. They also said they won't be counting out each word, but they seem to be insistent it be kept in or very close to that range. If it helps anyone, the MIT guy echoed the Stanford guy's comment.

That's all I got. :-D

http://www.fantasticcontraption.com

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 95 [0], given: 15

Current Student

Schools: Texas (accepted) , Chicago Booth (accepted), Stanford (denied), London Business School (accepted)

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2008, 10:18
Maybe this is a response to increasing application volume, but I just don't see how you answer those in depth questions with only 1,800 words.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 0

Schools: Attending Stanford

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2008, 10:34
I just went back and checked... I used Times New Roman 12 with standard MS Word margins and spacing last year. I ended up with 6 3/4 pages, or right around 1800 words. You can do it! :)

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 0

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2008, 17:32
i think they're expecting a flood of applications this year.

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2008, 19:52
I've always felt that to Stanford, actions speak louder than words. I think they basically know what they are looking for and there's no way you can fudge it in your essays -- you either have it or you don't. Anyway, for what it's worth, everyone else faces the same limit, so unless you are a career changer or have a very unusual background, the playing field is level.

You got an interview last year, didn't you UTdub? I'm sure you'll do well this year. Good luck!

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2008, 19:54
I would add that Stanford's application looks a lot more friendly and accomodative than Harvard's with its pathetic word limits. The S limits might be tight, but at least you get to tell your story the way you want to tell it. I thought the Harvard app last year was a trainwreck.

Current Student

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2008, 20:41
Thanks, Terry. That's great you're still providing advice to prospects like me while you're preparing to start at Stanford in a few weeks. Good luck.

Sudden, yes, I received an interview last year, but didn't get in. I decided to re-apply since it was by far my #1 choice, along with a host of other schools this time around. Oddly enough, there is no re-applicant essay and I was told to just re-submit my app as if they had never read my story. In theory, they claim you can submit the exact same app in one year as in another and due to a different application set, you could be denied one year and accepted the next. So, while I'm definitely making some slight changes and updates on my essays / resume / work experience, overall it's a similar app. If I receive one this time, I hope to perform better in my interview which I believe was my downfall.

I just finished shaving off over 800 words from essays last year while providing updates. Very tough to do, but it was doable as suggested.

Re: Stanford Word Limit   [#permalink] 21 Aug 2008, 20:41