It is currently 17 Dec 2017, 02:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Starting afresh with GMAT - advice?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 92

WE 1: Investment Banking - 6yrs
Starting afresh with GMAT - advice? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Nov 2008, 13:42
After looong 7-8 months of preparation, GMAT still isnt under control. I'm sure I'm missing something. So, I've decided to start afresh. I had enrolled for coaching classes, but they haven't really benefited me.

I had taken loads of GMATPreps (lost the count, but more than 15), gone thru MGMAT Preps too, but still only managed scoring between 620-650. I'm bad at tests, but GMAT is one of the creterion to get into B-schools, so have no choice but to attempt. Never the less, I have decided to apply next year. It's not worthwhile applying in R3 esp when your an international applicant. I'll will aim for R1 (2009).

My scores have varied on the GMAT Prep, but have never scored a 700.
Q : 42-50
V : 21-34

So far the books that I've used :

OG 11
OG 10
Manhattan SC
Manhattan 6 Preps

Study materials i'll be using ??

OG 11
OG 10
Manhattan SC
Manhattan books - All the Quant books
CR - Powescore CR
RC - Anything, apart from reading WSJ or Economist? I'm from the financial service industry, I read wsj everyday. Any books or materials?

I did maintain an error log, however, my weakest problem is NERVOUSNESS. This kills me. Would you know how to tame this beast? I paniced on the real one and score miserably.

Any help or advice is much appreciated.

-Pawan

Economist GMAT Tutor Discount CodesOptimus Prep Discount CodesJamboree Discount Codes
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 0

Re: Starting afresh with GMAT - advice? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Nov 2008, 19:25
looks like Verbal is your weak link. I am close enough to that number with my verbal too. Very recently decided to try a different approach. I used to skim the explanations for questions I got right or at times never read them at all. This proved to be costly.

My new perspective is to read them all - whether I get them right or wrong. While I can't quantify the impact, but it is definitely boosting my confidence for questions I'm getting right not only with the answer but with the approach as well. appears that I'm a sucker for positive reinforcement :)

From your post it seems you are an endurance-type person. I wish I could do 15 Preps. Good luck with finding your winning ways. With your kinda effort, you can't be far away. Cheers

excellence is the gradual result of always striving to do better

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 0

Director
Director

Show Tags

New post 09 Nov 2008, 00:15
masuhari wrote:
looks like Verbal is your weak link. I am close enough to that number with my verbal too. Very recently decided to try a different approach. I used to skim the explanations for questions I got right or at times never read them at all. This proved to be costly.

My new perspective is to read them all - whether I get them right or wrong. While I can't quantify the impact, but it is definitely boosting my confidence for questions I'm getting right not only with the answer but with the approach as well. appears that I'm a sucker for positive reinforcement :)

From your post it seems you are an endurance-type person. I wish I could do 15 Preps. Good luck with finding your winning ways. With your kinda effort, you can't be far away. Cheers

Thanks masuhari! for the encouragement. I'm tryinig to gather all the information and then figure out which fits me well.

Director
Director

Show Tags

New post 14 Nov 2008, 09:21
*bump*

Any advice?

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 15 Nov 2008, 14:13
What course are you taking? Can you ask for extra help from the instructor?

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Director
Director

Show Tags

New post 16 Nov 2008, 03:50
phelpsian wrote:
What course are you taking? Can you ask for extra help from the instructor?

I had taken the course 7-8 months back, I did go back to the instructor, but it didnt help me.

For now, I've collected some info from "Share your GMAT Experience" forum and trying to see which fits me well.

Re: Starting afresh with GMAT - advice?   [#permalink] 16 Nov 2008, 03:50

Starting afresh with GMAT - advice?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

HOT DEALS FOR NOVEMBER
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
Target Test Prep - $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
EMPOWERgmat - $99/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap