GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 10 Dec 2018, 14:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free lesson on number properties

December 10, 2018

December 10, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Practice the one most important Quant section - Integer properties, and rapidly improve your skills.
  • Free GMAT Prep Hour

December 11, 2018

December 11, 2018

09:00 PM EST

10:00 PM EST

Strategies and techniques for approaching featured GMAT topics. December 11 at 9 PM EST.

Statregy on D-Day - need advice

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
Premium Member
Statregy on D-Day - need advice  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Aug 2018, 10:45
Hi,

I would like to get some insight guys about the test. I am having it next Tuesday. As part of my preparation, I am planning to breakdown for verbal a small scheme with the timing that I have to respect – something similar to this:
56 min – Q6
47 min – Q11
38 min – Q16
29 min – Q 21
20 min – Q 26
11 min – Q 31

And I am as well planning to breakdown the entire booklet into 32 question for the math as recommended by the Manhattan strategy.

This roughly takes 1.30 min to do.

My plan is to do the below – please let me know if there are any flows in it:
1. Apparently there is 1 min to choose the order of the exam – Can I leverage this minute to write down stuff on the booklet or it is not allowed?
2. I am planning to take the below order:
a. AWA, IR, Quant, Verbal. As I am prepared for the AWA, I am expecting to finish a bit earlier – if I finished ahead, do I have the right to write down stuff on the booklet and use it later for the exam? Or they will give me a new one?

Thanks for your help guys,
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
D
Concentration: Finance
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Statregy on D-Day - need advice  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Aug 2018, 12:49
stevenb28 wrote:
Hi,

I would like to get some insight guys about the test. I am having it next Tuesday. As part of my preparation, I am planning to breakdown for verbal a small scheme with the timing that I have to respect – something similar to this:
56 min – Q6
47 min – Q11
38 min – Q16
29 min – Q 21
20 min – Q 26
11 min – Q 31

And I am as well planning to breakdown the entire booklet into 32 question for the math as recommended by the Manhattan strategy.

1. Apparently there is 1 min to choose the order of the exam – Can I leverage this minute to write down stuff on the booklet or it is not allowed?
a. AWA, IR, Quant, Verbal. As I am prepared for the AWA, I am expecting to finish a bit earlier – if I finished ahead, do I have the right to write down stuff on the booklet and use it later for the exam? Or they will give me a new one?

Hello stevenb28

For Verbal part you have 65 minutes for 36 questions.

65/36= 1.8 minutes or 1.8*60=108 seconds

For Quant part you have 62 minutes and 31 question.

Thats clearly 2 minutes per question. :-)

Now, of course some questions will take more time some less, but as long you are on that track you are fine.

That being said, for few first questions you should ideally spend less than that, since they will be on easier side.

I am sure you already tried that recommended pace on your mocks, so you will be fine.

You are provided with one booklet for entire exam, unless you ask proctor for more, which you can do later, so of course you can employ those tricks.

Here is some guidance and useful tips:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-n1Zzh0NnM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgRS9S0SwBY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kK-QuuZeuw

Good Luck ;)

Your kudos are much appreciated

SVP
SVP
V
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169

Show Tags

New post 31 Aug 2018, 19:10
stevenb28 wrote:
Hi,

56 min – Q6
47 min – Q11
38 min – Q16
29 min – Q 21
20 min – Q 26
11 min – Q 31

You'll need to take a decision on how often you want to check the time, especially in verbal. Here is one possible strategy.

The quantitative section has 31 questions. Setting space aside in your noteboard for each question doesn't seem to be necessary (you could even end up asking for a replacement noteboard).

1. Technically, you're not allowed to, but practically, there should be no problem doing this.
2. They are supposed to replace the noteboard after every section. Whether they actually do that or not really depends on the center. At a good center I expect them to replace your noteboard during the breaks, while you're outside the testing room. If you do plan to try this strategy, remember not to hit submit on your essay until you're done prepping your noteboard.

Have you practiced with AWA-IR-Q-V? Most people choose to start with either quant or verbal.

Ascore Prep | Live Online

Intern
Intern
B
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 31 Aug 2018, 19:23
hi guys thanks for both replies - very appreciated.
Yes i have been practicing with this method for a long time now and have been scoring consistently 740. I might lose a bit of time checking the clock too often but it is nevertheless necessary for me.

1 - so if it is not allowed i don't think it is worth taking the risk..
2 - Ok so that could be very annoying if they do replace my notebook...

Any people can give more insights about their actual GMAT and procedures ?

Thanks
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 31 Aug 2018, 19:40
Well it totally depends on center. In my center the booklet was not replaced. So if I wanted I could have written things down.
Even if the booklet is changed, you can return to your seat 1-2 mins before the start of the next section and use that time to put down your notes for the section, be it VA or QA.

+1 kudos if you find this useful
GMAT 1: 750 (Q50; V40; IR 8; AWA 5.5)
Debrief: https://gmatclub.com/forum/first-attempt-750-q50-v40-ir-8-awa-245721.html

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Statregy on D-Day - need advice &nbs [#permalink] 31 Aug 2018, 19:40

Statregy on D-Day - need advice

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap