GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Apr 2019, 23:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Poll: Stern (full-ride) vs Kellogg, which one is better for finance?

new topic post reply Update application status  

Stern (full-ride) vs. Kellogg for finance

• 40% [2]
  • 60% [3]
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
Poll: Stern (full-ride) vs Kellogg, which one is better for finance?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 29 Mar 2019, 01:30
Hi guys, I am thrilled to be in this dilemma, and would love to hear your opinions - which one is a better option for finance role, e.g. IB?

Background:
- International student from Asia
- Pre-MBA: small PE shop, no U.S. work experience.
- Post-MBA: finance role in the U.S., and may be the best possible role would be IB?
- Would love to pursue a career in Canada if H1B policies tighten.

Stern
Pros:
- Full tuition, which means only $75K out of pocket for two years, a lot easier life style post-MBA
- Stern is a IB focused school, according to the CMC, there's 26.2% placements to IB
- Closest distance to those banks (probably more demanding in terms of networking?)
Cons:
- Lower ranked, although still Top 15, less prestigious internationally
- 0.9% VC placements, I guess is would be impossible for me

Kellogg
Pros:
- M7, highly regarded internationally even back to Asia
- According to CMC report, 3.6% PE placement, seems that it leaves one more door open, although it would be highly uncertain in U.S.
- Hevanston is ideal location to live given one-hour train to Chicago
- Reputable party school (who could say no to that?)
- Bidding system for interviews (It seems that Kellogg is powerful during corporate recruiting)
Cons:
- Kellogg is consulting heavy school, with 30% Consulting, and 28% Tech, there is only 13.7% financial services with IB 5.7% (less competitive?)
- According to both schools’ websites, it would be $120K ~ $150K more out of pocket

Originally posted by XaiverWeiss on 27 Mar 2019, 20:01.
Last edited by XaiverWeiss on 29 Mar 2019, 01:30, edited 1 time in total.
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Poll: Stern (full-ride) vs Kellogg, which one is better for finance?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Mar 2019, 20:45
Wow. Congratulations on your your admits and scholarships!

It would not be a bad decision to go with either program. With the goal of IB/PE and esp VC (you usually need to have VC background to get into VC post BSchool), you would be better served to be in New York and at Stern. These are highly highly competitive fields and the reason Kellogg places only 3.6% (thanks for doing your homework) is not because Kellogg sucks or only so few people want to go there, it is because folks from other schools with more powerful resume and schmoozing skills beat them out of those opportunities. It will be cutthroat and painful and having saved $150K while doing your MBA, will be a great consolation prize should you not be one of the 3.6 percenters.

However, Stern always has been the IB school, since back in the day, so while it is not ranked as high as Kellogg and may be not as shiny M7 brand, I don't feel you would be making that much of a sacrifice for letting them pay for your tuition.

Congrats!

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
OG2019 Directory is here!
Want to know application stats & Profiles from last year? Check the Decision Tracker

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests
Intern
Intern
Re: Poll: Stern (full-ride) vs Kellogg, which one is better for finance?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Mar 2019, 21:11
bb wrote:
Wow. Congratulations on your your admits and scholarships!

It would not be a bad decision to go with either program. With the goal of IB/PE and esp VC (you usually need to have VC background to get into VC post BSchool), you would be better served to be in New York and at Stern. These are highly highly competitive fields and the reason Kellogg places only 3.6% (thanks for doing your homework) is not because Kellogg sucks or only so few people want to go there, it is because folks from other schools with more powerful resume and schmoozing skills beat them out of those opportunities. It will be cutthroat and painful and having saved $150K while doing your MBA, will be a great consolation prize should you not be one of the 3.6 percenters.

However, Stern always has been the IB school, since back in the day, so while it is not ranked as high as Kellogg and may be not as shiny M7 brand, I don't feel you would be making that much of a sacrifice for letting them pay for your tuition.

Congrats!

- Hi bb, many thanks for your reply!

- I have done the calculations according to both schools' websites - for Stern, the estimated total cost would be $75K (high living cost); for Kellogg, it would be $203K. Thus the saving is roughly $130K (still a significantly large amount)

- As an international student, I think my best chance staying in the US would be IB, and if I want to continue a PE/VC career path, I'd have to go back to Asia.
- I am wondering that since Kellogg only places 5.7% in IB, is it less people in Kellogg want an IB role, or Kellogg is not strong in IB recruiting in U.S.?

- Also, how are Kellogg vs Stern brands in Canada (if you would have any insights to share), as when things go south, I plan to explore opportunities in Canada.

- The M7 brand is really hard to walk away, nowadays even Asian mega funds require an M7 brand to get into interviews
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 27 Mar 2019, 21:17
I think Kellogg does not focus on IB. That’s more Booth and Wharton and Stern and Darden. One reasons turn has such a good IB numbers is that a good portion of those folks have been in IB before business school. Many of them are going back with more responsibilities and into stronger firms. Don’t let the stats full you that IB is easy to get into but it is easier than it used to be. It’s a less sexy job and with the job market being tight, there are more opportunities.

Asked to Canada, NBA is not valued as much as it is in the US. Canadian employers often prefer work experience to a degree. Sauer is tend to be lower especially for younger and less experienced candidates and I am B asked to Canada, MBA is not valued as much as it is in the US. Canadian employers often prefer a work experience to a degree. Salaries tend to be lower especially for younger and less experienced candidates and there are fewer traditional MBA jobs to fill.

Posted from my mobile device

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
OG2019 Directory is here!
Want to know application stats & Profiles from last year? Check the Decision Tracker

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2019, 01:30
Any more ideas to share? thanks guys!
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Poll: Stern (full-ride) vs Kellogg, which one is better for finance?   [#permalink] 29 Mar 2019, 01:30

Poll: Stern (full-ride) vs Kellogg, which one is better for finance?

new topic post reply Update application status  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap