GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 11 Dec 2018, 10:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free GMAT Prep Hour

December 11, 2018

December 11, 2018

09:00 PM EST

10:00 PM EST

Strategies and techniques for approaching featured GMAT topics. December 11 at 9 PM EST.
  • The winning strategy for 700+ on the GMAT

December 13, 2018

December 13, 2018

08:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

What people who reach the high 700's do differently? We're going to share insights, tips and strategies from data we collected on over 50,000 students who used examPAL.

Strategy for Details & "all of the following except" questions

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
Strategy for Details & "all of the following except" questions  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Sep 2018, 10:21
Hey guys!

Hope your prep is going well. So here is my case: I've been practicing RC for quite a while, applying the basic strategy (90% first paragraph, then deacrease for the others and take notes so you can refer back to it later ect...) and It has worked quite well actually!

But I have realized that there are 2 types of questions which represent nearly 100% of my mistakes in RC:
1) details questions
2) "the passage states all of the following except..." (which is kind of a detail question as well).

Whenever I have a detail questions (1), I usually go back to my notes to spot which paragraph we're talking about, then spot the corresponding sentence and read the sentence before and after that to answer. Still, I often get the wrong answer.

Regarding the "except" questions (2), here I am completely lost. Since answers usually refer to different paragraphs, I am mixing everything up and finally answering by guessing (which is better than nothing but not really optimal).

So:
1) Does anyone have another method or any additional tips for details questions?
2) Any strategy on how to tackle "except" questions?

Thanks and good luck to everyone!
Manhattan Prep Instructor
G
GMAT 1: 790 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: Strategy for Details & "all of the following except" questions  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Oct 2018, 11:38
iac00 wrote:
Hey guys!

Hope your prep is going well. So here is my case: I've been practicing RC for quite a while, applying the basic strategy (90% first paragraph, then deacrease for the others and take notes so you can refer back to it later ect...) and It has worked quite well actually!

But I have realized that there are 2 types of questions which represent nearly 100% of my mistakes in RC:
1) details questions
2) "the passage states all of the following except..." (which is kind of a detail question as well).

Whenever I have a detail questions (1), I usually go back to my notes to spot which paragraph we're talking about, then spot the corresponding sentence and read the sentence before and after that to answer. Still, I often get the wrong answer.

You're doing it right! Can you do some more introspection into why you're missing these problems? (If you don't have notes - this would be a good thing to start taking notes on. Each time you miss this type of problem, write down an explanation for why the wrong answer was wrong and why the right answer was right.) For instance, you might be picking answers that use the same words as the passage, but that have a subtle difference in meaning. Or you might be picking answers that are more extreme than what the passage actually says.

Quote:
Regarding the "except" questions (2), here I am completely lost. Since answers usually refer to different paragraphs, I am mixing everything up and finally answering by guessing (which is better than nothing but not really optimal).

1. Make sure you 'state your goal' as you start solving the problem. If the question says 'all of the following EXCEPT are stated in the passage', say to yourself: 'I'm going to cross off each thing that I find in the passage.'
2. Jot down A B C D E as you start the problem and cross off answers as you eliminate.
3. Honestly, it's fine to guess on these. They're relatively rare and can waste a lot of your time. If you're behind on time, this is a great place to save a few minutes.

Chelsey Cooley | Manhattan Prep | Seattle and Online

My latest GMAT blog posts | Suggestions for blog articles are always welcome!

Intern
Intern
B
Re: Strategy for Details & "all of the following except" questions  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Oct 2018, 23:14
ccooley wrote:
iac00 wrote:
Hey guys!

1) details questions

You're doing it right! Can you do some more introspection into why you're missing these problems? (If you don't have notes - this would be a good thing to start taking notes on. Each time you miss this type of problem, write down an explanation for why the wrong answer was wrong and why the right answer was right.) For instance, you might be picking answers that use the same words as the passage, but that have a subtle difference in meaning. Or you might be picking answers that are more extreme than what the passage actually says.

Quote:

1. Make sure you 'state your goal' as you start solving the problem. If the question says 'all of the following EXCEPT are stated in the passage', say to yourself: 'I'm going to cross off each thing that I find in the passage.'
2. Jot down A B C D E as you start the problem and cross off answers as you eliminate.
3. Honestly, it's fine to guess on these. They're relatively rare and can waste a lot of your time. If you're behind on time, this is a great place to save a few minutes.

Hey :)

Sorry for answering so late, It has been some tough and busy days lately!
First of all thank you for answer. I think the problem might be in my notes: I don't wirte down as much as I should to be abel to retrieve the right paragraph afterwards.

Being a non native english speaker, I feel it's quite hard to be reading (or "skimming" let's say) while taking high quality notes. Any advice or article regarding this point?

Best,
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Strategy for Details & "all of the following except" questions &nbs [#permalink] 13 Oct 2018, 23:14

Strategy for Details & "all of the following except" questions

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap