GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Oct 2018, 07:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Stress Issues

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 09 May 2017
Posts: 3
Stress Issues  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2018, 11:39
Hi everyone!
I’m preparing for my GMAT exam now and there’s one problem that keeps bothering me. If you know any good solution to this, I’d be extremely grateful. Basically, when doing the exercises alone I’m all focused and doing great, but when doing the practice exam, I get stressed out and make mistakes because of the panic occurring. Did anybody have a similar experience? How did you overcome this?
P.S. - Also, does anyone know a good source to practice the verbal part of the exam for free (I did the Manhattan guides and the GMATprep)?
Thanks!
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
User avatar
V
Status: GMAT Assassin/Co-Founder
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Joined: 19 Dec 2014
Posts: 12687
Location: United States (CA)
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: Stress Issues  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2018, 12:13
Hi JCarola,

Many Test Takers face some anxiety during their studies, so you're not alone. It's important to remember that the GMAT is a consistent, predictable Exam though - so you CAN train to score at a higher level. Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) How long have you studied?
2) What study materials have you used so far?
3) How have you scored on each of your CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for each)?

Goals:
4) What is your goal score?
5) When are you planning to take the GMAT?
6) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
7) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
_________________

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

*****Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!*****

Moderator
avatar
V
Joined: 22 Jun 2014
Posts: 1030
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 540 Q45 V20
GPA: 2.49
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Stress Issues  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2018, 14:14
JCarola. wrote:
Hi everyone!
I’m preparing for my GMAT exam now and there’s one problem that keeps bothering me. If you know any good solution to this, I’d be extremely grateful. Basically, when doing the exercises alone I’m all focused and doing great, but when doing the practice exam, I get stressed out and make mistakes because of the panic occurring. Did anybody have a similar experience? How did you overcome this?
P.S. - Also, does anyone know a good source to practice the verbal part of the exam for free (I did the Manhattan guides and the GMATprep)?
Thanks!


Hi @JCarola,

Here are few important points that can help you not only on this issue but can help on overall issues. Please have a look:

1. Methods: Probably you are doing questions with the methods that take time. You must look for alternate explanations by experts for the questions that you get wrong or take more time. If you could do for all of the questions then also great.

2. Stick to one question: May be you are one of those who dont want to give up on a question. So if you spend 4-6 minutes on 3-5 question in test, you're bound to make careless mistakes and get yourself into the stress for all the duration of CAT. So learn to guess and move on. Do not blind guess when you have time. example - If you know that you did reach for the right answer for last 2-3 questions and then you are presented a question that after 1-1.5 minutes, you do not have a clue as to what to do, then you might spend more time and welcome stress else you can do a good guess by eliminating 2-3 choices that anyway would look far from being the correct answers. This really helps.

3. Lack of practice: We first learn a concept then do lot of practice and solidify concept, process and strategy to tackle various type of questions on the same concept. Please pick one area which you have not revised yet, and then do some questions on it, you would definitely take long time on that question, be it a practice session of CAT.

4. Sense of time: Practice to develope the sense of a minute.

5. Timing/Pace: follow the right timing as to which question should you be at when clock is at particular time. do not bother if behind -2 questions from expected.

6. Strategy: For entire exam you need an strategy from guessing to timing to various other factors that are important.

7. Number of CATs: we need to make this exam a second nature for us. Give as many CATs as you can but at the right intervals and with right strategy. If you think you havenot practiced well on the all the weak areas that you needed to after the previous CAT then a new CAT is not worth. and this is the hard work needed.

8. Consistency and plan: have a study plan and be consistent in the studies.

9. Meditation

10. Confidence

11. Health
_________________

---------------------------------------------------------------
Target - 720-740
http://gmatclub.com/forum/information-on-new-gmat-esr-report-beta-221111.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/list-of-one-year-full-time-mba-programs-222103.html

SVP
SVP
User avatar
V
Joined: 15 Jul 2015
Posts: 1772
Location: India
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Re: Stress Issues  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2018, 20:20
JCarola. wrote:
Basically, when doing the exercises alone I’m all focused and doing great, but when doing the practice exam, I get stressed out and make mistakes because of the panic occurring. Did anybody have a similar experience? How did you overcome this?
Are these practice exercises timed? If you aren't doing them under time pressure, that could be one reason for the stress you feel during your practice tests.
_________________

Ascore Prep | Live Online

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 09 May 2017
Posts: 3
Re: Stress Issues  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Apr 2018, 13:43
AjiteshArun wrote:
JCarola. wrote:
Basically, when doing the exercises alone I’m all focused and doing great, but when doing the practice exam, I get stressed out and make mistakes because of the panic occurring. Did anybody have a similar experience? How did you overcome this?
Are these practice exercises timed? If you aren't doing them under time pressure, that could be one reason for the stress you feel during your practice tests.


Sadly it isn't. I always make sure I do not take over the 2 minutes or the 2 minutes and 30 seconds (it depends on the questions) in the Quant section. However, at the Verbal I always get more stressed, at the last one I "finished" and still had 15 minutes left - and my result was a 24 or similar (on the Verbal section), which is not the most useful one...
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 09 May 2017
Posts: 3
Re: Stress Issues  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Apr 2018, 13:46
HKD1710 wrote:
JCarola. wrote:
Hi everyone!
I’m preparing for my GMAT exam now and there’s one problem that keeps bothering me. If you know any good solution to this, I’d be extremely grateful. Basically, when doing the exercises alone I’m all focused and doing great, but when doing the practice exam, I get stressed out and make mistakes because of the panic occurring. Did anybody have a similar experience? How did you overcome this?
P.S. - Also, does anyone know a good source to practice the verbal part of the exam for free (I did the Manhattan guides and the GMATprep)?
Thanks!


Hi @JCarola,

Here are few important points that can help you not only on this issue but can help on overall issues. Please have a look:

1. Methods: Probably you are doing questions with the methods that take time. You must look for alternate explanations by experts for the questions that you get wrong or take more time. If you could do for all of the questions then also great.

2. Stick to one question: May be you are one of those who dont want to give up on a question. So if you spend 4-6 minutes on 3-5 question in test, you're bound to make careless mistakes and get yourself into the stress for all the duration of CAT. So learn to guess and move on. Do not blind guess when you have time. example - If you know that you did reach for the right answer for last 2-3 questions and then you are presented a question that after 1-1.5 minutes, you do not have a clue as to what to do, then you might spend more time and welcome stress else you can do a good guess by eliminating 2-3 choices that anyway would look far from being the correct answers. This really helps.

3. Lack of practice: We first learn a concept then do lot of practice and solidify concept, process and strategy to tackle various type of questions on the same concept. Please pick one area which you have not revised yet, and then do some questions on it, you would definitely take long time on that question, be it a practice session of CAT.

4. Sense of time: Practice to develope the sense of a minute.

5. Timing/Pace: follow the right timing as to which question should you be at when clock is at particular time. do not bother if behind -2 questions from expected.

6. Strategy: For entire exam you need an strategy from guessing to timing to various other factors that are important.

7. Number of CATs: we need to make this exam a second nature for us. Give as many CATs as you can but at the right intervals and with right strategy. If you think you havenot practiced well on the all the weak areas that you needed to after the previous CAT then a new CAT is not worth. and this is the hard work needed.

8. Consistency and plan: have a study plan and be consistent in the studies.

9. Meditation

10. Confidence

11. Health


Thank you for your reply and time, fortunately, today I found out that there's a Study section on the App that I use to meditate and hopefully it will be very useful.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Stress Issues &nbs [#permalink] 02 Apr 2018, 13:46
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Stress Issues

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710



Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.