GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Oct 2018, 13:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

stuck at 640

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT ToolKit User
stuck at 640  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Mar 2018, 09:08
Hi all,

I took my first GMATprep test exam 1 in December with out preparation and i scored a 640 (Q45,V33).
I went through some prep material online and solved problems on gmatclub and took a veritas prep test today and scored a 640 again same split as well (Q45,V33).

does this mean that I am not improving? and what is the best way i should go about improving?
My target is score is 700+, but i am unsure which subjects to focus on for the best gain.
I have about 2-3 months left before my actual test and would like to see more improvement before then.

Any tips/advice would be appreciated, thanks!
Veritas Prep GMAT Discount CodesMagoosh Discount CodesEconomist GMAT Tutor Discount Codes
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: stuck at 640  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Mar 2018, 11:09
Hi kqian01,

Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) Have you been studying consistently since December 1st? How many hours do you typically study each week?
2) What study materials have you used so far?
3) Have you taken any additional practice CATs besides these two?

Goals:
4) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
5) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

*****Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!*****

General GMAT Forum Moderator
V
WE: General Management (Non-Profit and Government)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 23 Mar 2018, 12:06
kqian01 wrote:
Hi all,

I took my first GMATprep test exam 1 in December with out preparation and i scored a 640 (Q45,V33).
I went through some prep material online and solved problems on gmatclub and took a veritas prep test today and scored a 640 again same split as well (Q45,V33).

does this mean that I am not improving? and what is the best way i should go about improving?
My target is score is 700+, but i am unsure which subjects to focus on for the best gain.
I have about 2-3 months left before my actual test and would like to see more improvement before then.

Any tips/advice would be appreciated, thanks!

Hi kqian01,

Please note that in my experience, Veritas prep tests are a bit harder than the actual GMAT and their algorithm is a bit more strict than the GMATPREPs so you should not worry too much about it. Veritas prep Mock tests however are a phenomenal source of practice and they have some of the best Verbal questions in the market so definitely keep on practicing from them but do not get discouraged by the scores.

Hope this helps. All the best!!

If you liked my post, kindly give me a Kudos. Thanks.

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 23 Mar 2018, 15:04
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi kqian01,

Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) Have you been studying consistently since December 1st? How many hours do you typically study each week?
2) What study materials have you used so far?
3) Have you taken any additional practice CATs besides these two?

Goals:
4) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
5) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

Rich

Hi Rich,

1) i have been studying for about 1-2 hours on and off every weekday. probably about 10hrs a week.
2) i have been solving questions here and there on gmat club and also some in the OG but mainly quant, not as much verbal as I thought I could improve my quant faster. I just bought the MGMAT books and plan to go through those for verbal.
3) i have not taken any additional CATs as of now, just those 2.
4) I am planning to apply this fall if i can hit the target, if not I will aim for next yr.
5) I am targeting Duke and UNC

Thanks for the response, much appreciated!
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 23 Mar 2018, 15:08
rohan2345 wrote:
Hi kqian01,

Please note that in my experience, Veritas prep tests are a bit harder than the actual GMAT and their algorithm is a bit more strict than the GMATPREPs so you should not worry too much about it. Veritas prep Mock tests however are a phenomenal source of practice and they have some of the best Verbal questions in the market so definitely keep on practicing from them but do not get discouraged by the scores.

Hope this helps. All the best!!

Hi rohan,

This is good to hear, thanks for the insight. I am hoping to improve as much as I can before this fall. just felt unsure if i am doing it wrong since the scores were the same :(
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 24 Mar 2018, 16:21
Hi kqian01,

From what you've described, your studies have not had much 'structure'; doing lots of random practice questions - without focusing on learning and practicing the proper Tactics - would likely just reinforce "your way" of approaching the Test. As such, that second score isn't surprising at all; you continue to 'see' (and respond to) the GMAT in a certain way - and that way will almost certainly continue to earn you a score in the mid-600s. Thankfully, the GMAT is a consistent, predictable Exam, so you CAN train to score at a higher level. The 'key' word there is "train" though. Now that you have some new study materials, they might be enough to help you hone the necessary skills and raise your score, so I suggest that you work through those books and then take a new, FULL-LENGTH CAT (with the Essay and IR sections) in a few weeks. Once you have that Score, you should report back and we can discuss the results.

Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

*****Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!*****

GMAT Club Bot
Re: stuck at 640 &nbs [#permalink] 24 Mar 2018, 16:21

stuck at 640

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: souvonik2k

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap