GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Oct 2018, 08:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Stuck in a Loop

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT ToolKit User
Stuck in a Loop  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Mar 2018, 13:32
what's the problem?
I have been prepping for my 2nd GMAT attempt for about 8 months, but now I need some advice on way forward.
PS feel free to jump to queries to avoid other BS.

Background-
27 M, Energy Engineer, New Zealand. Solid volunteering with ok work experience (not many opportunities in a small country)
Schools: Stanford, Haas, McCoombs, Rottman, Babson, HKUST, Peking.
Careers: General Management in Energy sector, enterprise or VC with Asia focus. Not really interested in consultancy / investing.
Target Score: 700, with my background I feel a 680-690 will be ok (obviously not good enough for Stanford).
GMAT Score 1: 550 Q39 V27 IR3
It is clear that I needed to improve both Quant and Verbal reasoning quite significantly.

2nd Attempt Journey-
My aim was to improve my foundation concepts and apply X technique to solve the questions. So I:
-made a 5 month planner with 1 day off + exercise + social life and work.
-worked through few test prep courses (Magoosh & E-gmat quant courses + E-gmat SC and CR). Most of the questions for my practice were from the test prep company so I still had quite a few OG questions left.
-kept error logs with revised testing on mistakes. However, I feel i didn't internalise these; not sure what I could have done better though.
-Read books and articles on wide range of topics to improve my knowledge.

I thought i was "ready" to move onto CATs after slogging through it for 5 months (slipped my deadline). My scores (spaced out 1.5 weeks each):
Manhattan (Reset) CAT1A: 660 Q43 V37 IR1- had to guess quite a few of the quant questions, just tried to do the ones I know correctly). Verbal felt too easy so I knew that wasn't a correct score
Manhattan (Reset) CAT2A: 660 Q44 V36 IR1 - same as CAT1A. There were a few repeats in Verbal but I guessed on them.
GMAT Prep (Reset) CAT5A: 570 Q42 V26 IR4 - shock! CR = 33%, RC = 44% and SC= 68%. Did few silly errors on quant (usually get 1-2 easy questions wrong). Hit and miss with medium questions. I really cannot explain the verbal, I completed everything on time and none of the questions felt too difficult. FYI there were numerous questions where I choose between the correct/incorrect answer ie correct POE but faltered on the last step.
Manhattan (Reset) CAT 3A: 630 Q41 V35 IR4

I gave up the idea of doing any more tests as the verbal is not a true reflection of GMAT tests, so i just went back to basics searching for what i can do to improve.

Thoughts/Analysis on journey so far:
-I had similar issues during my 1st attempt, lot of inconsistent scores. However, all cluttered around 550-610. Got pressured into sitting the test from family and friends. Do not want to make the same mistake again.
-I am still quite a way off from my target score. I want to improve quant by 4-5 points, which means eliminating careless mistakes and performing consistently in SC/CR. RC has been a hit and miss for me, sometimes I score in 80-90% and other times its down to 50%.
- I only have GMAT test 6 remaining.
- I feel like I am caught in this loop of studying, questions, CAT, studying only to attain inconsistent results, adding greatly to my frustrations. Now I am down on official resources, CATs, time and without a clear idea of where to go from here.

Queries:
- I have done 5/6 GMAT prep tests twice over the course of 1.5 years. So, how do I accurately diagnose my current level? Consequently, how much i need to improve.
-I am having real difficulty figuring out what areas I need to work on! Is it my concepts, technique, application or timing?
- I have done quite a few if not most OG questions already in the past 2 months (whilst trying to improve my verbal again). So, how do i prepare given such limited OG resources. Should I just do LSAT questions for CR/RC? If so, I don't know if its my logic, precision reading etc. that's the issue or application/timing. What about SC resources? Unfortunately, I don't have a clear track of which verbal ques I haven't attempted.
- Any suggestions to get from 43-48 in quant? I am also slow at understanding what the question wants especially in word problems, so i will start doing timing drills to improve this. I have done a lot of work on mental math so I am reasonably confident in my ability to solve. My plan is to just do tons of medium level questions from E-gmat until I reach 80% accuracy.
- Any suggestions for IR, I haven't gone above 4.

GMATNinja
mikemcgarry
VeritasPrepKarishma
Magoosh Discount CodesMath Revolution Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: Stuck in a Loop  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Mar 2018, 13:40
shahMeet wrote:
what's the problem?
I have been prepping for my 2nd GMAT attempt for about 8 months.

This is your issue. Sorry to interrupt you in the first sentence but don't really need to read or think about anything else - taking this long to prep is impossible to improve your score.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
OG2019 Directory is here! - New!
Verbal OG2019 Directory is here! - New!
Quant OG2019 Directory is here! - New!

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Stuck in a Loop  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Mar 2018, 17:55
Thanks for your response BB. Yes, you are correct and I have spent too long prepping but I am not seeing any other alternative.

I followed a 4 month plan with logs etc including practise tests without the desired results. Afterwhich, I tried focusing on my weaknesses for couple of months, ie quant to my improve score. However, this didn't yield the desired results so I am seeking assistance to diagnose what the issues are.

GMATNinja also mentioned that fixing verbal issues can take more than few months. I am spending my spare time reading wide range of material to improve my precision and knowledge base as well.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Stuck in a Loop &nbs [#permalink] 24 Mar 2018, 17:55

Stuck in a Loop

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap