It is currently 21 Oct 2017, 18:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Students were vomiting on themselves .....

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 319 [0], given: 2

Schools: Wharton'11 HBS'12
Re: Students were vomiting on themselves ..... [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Oct 2008, 19:24
ryhme..u sure ticked some kelloggie lol..

Kudos [?]: 319 [0], given: 2

1 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Kudos [?]: 762 [1], given: 5

Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010

Show Tags

New post 24 Oct 2008, 20:20
This post received
KUDOS
I know who deleted it and we actually debated it because yes it is out there but it is also extremely wrong. Unlike the scoretop thing being put out there by schools and the GMAC, this was put out by a student and was not factual at all. Imagine a paper writing about half the class at GSB cheating by using scoretop because some student sent out an email. The newspaper used this email as a source without fact checking it, even the field museum has said it was inaccurate, no one was throwing things at the dinosaur, alcohol was confiscated before being brought in (no one said it wasn't allowed so people were carrying stuff out of their limos), no one was puking or spitting on themselves or others.

I think the intention with removing the email was to top the spead of misinformation, I would like to think that people at other schools would do the same. Personally I think that posting that is like posting a blog post from a current student, its out there but if it is not true does it deserve space on here, should we provide a platform for that?

Unfortunately a student made the bad decision of putting out an email that was very wrong, probably as a scare tactic. Do you think an entire school and class needs to be unfairly painted as a bunch of people out of Animal House. Personally I wish that for every event where people don't meet a certain code of professionalism results in consequences but then again I also would have a much stricter version of how people should behave. If you act out of line at an event like this you should be banned from social events.

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.
GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 762 [1], given: 5

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 10

Show Tags

New post 25 Oct 2008, 11:25
I read several of the articles and it all sounds too fake. I do not think anyone with a decent head on their shoulders would read these articles and actually believe what it says.

I feel sorry for people that write these articles thinking that they accomplished something.

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 10

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 64 [0], given: 28

Schools: Harvard '11

Show Tags

New post 25 Oct 2008, 12:34
riverripper wrote:
Unfortunately a student made the bad decision of putting out an email that was very wrong, probably as a scare tactic. Do you think an entire school and class needs to be unfairly painted as a bunch of people out of Animal House. Personally I wish that for every event where people don't meet a certain code of professionalism results in consequences but then again I also would have a much stricter version of how people should behave. If you act out of line at an event like this you should be banned from social events.

POLL: Who made the worst decision?

1. The students who behaved inappropriately at the Field Museum
2. The student who blew the incident out of proportion

What do you guys think? I vote for (2).

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Kudos [?]: 762 [0], given: 5

Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010

Show Tags

New post 25 Oct 2008, 15:17
msday86 wrote:
POLL: Who made the worst decision?

1. The students who behaved inappropriately at the Field Museum
2. The student who blew the incident out of proportion

What do you guys think? I vote for (2).

Without a doubt at this point its who wrote the email. Yet hindsight is 20/20 and had she known this would cause this issue there is no way she would have sent out what she did. I think it definitely would have been handled in a way where only accurate information would have been put out and most likely not via email. Its unfair too that she is being blamed by many people here since it was the decision of the 2nd year student body leadership to send it...they all agreed but she is being vilified as sending it out. I think it got leaked originally because so many of people found it hillarious that the leadership was saying all those things when it was nothing like what happened. So it probably went out to friends at other schools as a joke but after getting forwarded a few times the fact that it was completely false got ignored.

However, had a few students not been overly drunk then they wouldnt have felt the need to say anything. So their actions directly lead to #2...

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.
GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 762 [0], given: 5

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 25 Oct 2008, 17:08
Personally, I think its the media that is to blame. The newspaper and TV organizations didn't do their fact checking and put an unbelievable amount of focus on an event that was not particularly newsworthy.

Our economy is in the worst collapse since the Great Depression, we have a presidential election in a week, the City of Chicago has become the #1 city in America for total murders, there are 200,000 displaced refugees in the Congo this week, and yet the front page of the Chicago Sun-Times is a poorly researched article on 5 or 6 people who got a little too drunk at a business school ball. I don't condone the actions of the people who got too drunk, but really, is this something worth national media attention? Especially given the other things going on in the world?

On the media blowing things out of proportion, I saw an interview on TV today of two supposed "grad students" talking about the event as if they'd been there. They ended up being two undergrads who were making up the stories.

I'm really concerned about the state of our media organizations today. With all the important issues to tackle in Chicago, throughout the US, and around the world, and this is what consumes national attention?

Shame on our media organizations and shame on us for tolerating it.

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 1

Director
Director

Schools: Harvard '11

Show Tags

New post 25 Oct 2008, 19:06
Steel wrote:
I'm really concerned about the state of our media organizations today. With all the important issues to tackle in Chicago, throughout the US, and around the world, and this is what consumes national attention?

Shame on our media organizations and shame on us for tolerating it.

I agree with you personally. However, all media are businesses, just like GE or Apple or Microsoft. Their goal is to make money by selling as many papers/magazines as possible. The future business leaders of the world throwing patron shots at Sue the T-rex is simply too good a story to pass up.

VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 162 [0], given: 3

Schools: Chicago Booth Class of 2010

Show Tags

New post 25 Oct 2008, 23:14
Well, I don't want to go any further than I wrote in the B-school life section, I received the e-mail that 1st year people received at Kellogg and I just can't believe that people were doing that, though I don't discard anything nowadays. That's the price schools will pay for accepting some "extravagant and young" people in my opinion. And perhaps the worst part of this whole issue is those Kellogg students who fwded the email they received.

Move on guys, one way or another, Kellogg is VERY good school, period.

Rhyme´s guide to interviewing
http://www.gmatclub.com/forum/t55030

Kwam's Profile
http://gmatclub.com/forum/111-t57360

Kudos [?]: 162 [0], given: 3

Re: Students were vomiting on themselves .....   [#permalink] 25 Oct 2008, 23:14

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 28 posts ] 

Students were vomiting on themselves .....

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: OasisGC, aeropower, bb10

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap